First Sentence: My dear Eliza, I promised yesterday that just as soon as I had leisure for writing should send you a full and satisfactory account of Penelope Lambe's accident at Madderstone Abbey; and so I shall begin upon it.

Published on 3 Feb 2011 by L. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars My Second Kent
I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across Anna Dean's first Miss Dido Kent novel (A Moment of Silence). I really enjoyed it's unique combination of Jane Austin and Sherlock Holmes - but when I found myself starting this (actually the 3rd) Dido Kent novel, I wondered how much of my pleasure had been in it's distinctiveness.

It turns out that the answer...
Published 14 months ago by Mr Blue Sky

4.0 out of 5 stars With more substance than a cozy, this was a very good traditional mystery., 3 Feb 2011
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Hardcover)

Unconscious after Penelope Lambe falls down stone steps in the ruin of Madderstone Abbey, it is thought she saw the ghost of the Grey Nun. Miss Dido Kent is skeptical and believes the cause was more corporal than spiritual. When a skeleton, identified as Elinor Fenn, governess, is found within a lake being drained on the property, the verdict is self-murder. A friend does not believe Miss Fenn would have committed suicide and, in order to save her being buried in unconsecrated ground, asks Did to investigate.

Beginning with a wonderful opening, I am reminded how much I enjoy the voice of Anna Dean and, therefore, her character Dido Kent. With shades of Jane Austen and her own delightful, wry humor, we are transported back to Georgian England..."I believe that every family which has any claim at all to grandeur should have a ghost. I consider it a kind of necessary which should be attended to as soon as the fortune is made and the country estate purchased." Ms. Dean writes her books in both third person narrative and first person through letters from Dido to her sister. While some may find this annoying, for me it is an interesting and amusing way of conveying relevant information without slowing down the story. It allows us to see both all the events and be privy to Dido thoughts at the same time.

At 36 years old, Dido is considered a spinster yet is anything but shy and retiring. She has a logical mind and approach to solving problems by investigating the clues. The secondary story of her relationship with Mr. Lomax provides an interesting look at relationships and social mores of the time. Mr. Lomax discomfort at Dido discussing "unsuitable" subjects, including the vulnerability of women, and the proprietary of the interactions between them are both delightful and most honest representations I have read.

Ms. Dean has written a mystery of twists and turns, of relationships and unexpected revelations. I was intrigued by some of the history, particularly the doctor trying to determine the cause of asthma. With more substance than a cozy, this was a very good traditional mystery. I anxiously await her fourth book.

A WOMAN OF CONSEQUENCE (Hist Mys-Miss Dido Kent-England-1806/Georgian) - VG
Dean, Anna - 3rd in series
Allison & Busby, ©2010, UK Hardcover - ISBN: 9780749008192

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 26 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Hardcover)
The third in the 'Dido Kent' series and just as good as the two previous books. Can't wait for the fourth book, which is why I was so disappointed when I bought 'Bellfield Hall', expecting it to be the fourth in the series, only to find it was the first book, 'A Moment of Silence' re-printed in America under a different title. Enjoy the first three books, but don't be fooled like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best So Far, 23 Jun 2012
J. Mccready - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries) (Paperback)
I enjoyed the previous two books, but in a cozy, easy-read way that left me a little flat. This one, however, had me more convinced and eager to read more of the adventures of Dido. I still dislike the copious amount of letter writing, and do find I want to skip the italics, but I enjoyed the characters in this one more, and felt that both the mystery and the moral dilemmas had much more to say and were more of a page-turner. I'm surprised I haven't seen these more prominently on display in major booksellers, but perhaps it is a case of a subject not being massively on trend. Perhaos if Dido were a Norwegian detective she would be more widely received.

Still some anachronisms, but the overall effect is pleasing and I will be buying the next one when it's published. The writing style is true to the period (too much 'cannot help but' usage though - my pet hate) but at the same time fresh and readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An author of talent!, 15 April 2011
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Hardcover)
A very readable historical mystery, well-written with characters you can engage with, and a different writing style moving between letters and actual events. I look forward to catching up with Dido Kent in A Gentleman of Fortune.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 9 Feb 2014
If you like Austen then give the Dido Kent books a go. This one was my favourite, it was well paced and powerful, and no line was wasted. Dido is a superb character and the whole book succeeds in combining a state of mystery with the gentility of that period beautifully.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to reading, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries) (Paperback)
Haven't read it yet and I have no more to say than that so will not write anything else as it would be waffle

3.0 out of 5 stars My Second Kent, 14 Sep 2013

It turns out that the answer is "somewhat"!

Anna Dean's strengths are in her characters and sense of time and place; but the plot here is definitely weaker and I feel definitely let down by too many of the plot strand resolutions. One or two plot twists were too unbelievable, and the "answer" to the main puzzle is simply impossible for the reader to predict - a cardinal sin in a mystery novel. However, there *is* a terrific plot twist that revolves around two letters that I didn't see coming at all.

But this book is largely redeemed by the splendid Ms Kent and the amusing and alarming folk she meets. So I feel a bit mean only giving it 3 stars, given that I'll almost certainly pick up another Dido Kent novel before too long... I'll be more generous next time!

3.0 out of 5 stars New author for me, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries) (Paperback)
An interesting story which held my attention and kept me turning the pages. I found the 'Jane Austin' style writing a bit quirky and rather laboured. I do not think I will be buying another one though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivery, condition and service perfect., 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries) (Paperback)
This is how the system is supposed to work and I would trade with this supplier again and recommend them to my friends..

5.0 out of 5 stars ANNA DEAN, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries) (Paperback)
SHE IS NOW MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR. I HAVE READ ALL "DIDO KENT" MYSTERIES AND I AM HOPING THAT THERE ARE PLENTY MORE.

A Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries)
A Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries) by Anna Dean (Paperback - 29 Aug 2011)