4.0 out of 5 stars a good read but not as good as her previous books
A young actress travels to a villa high above Lake Garda in Italy to take the lead role in a play that was written for her name sake. Previous attempts to stage the play have failed miserably earning it a reputation like the
Scottish play of William Shakespere.
Published on 6 Dec. 2001 by Jo Moore joandkeith@hotmail.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't cause a storm for me - more like a faint breeze
This is the first book by Kearsley that I have read so I cannot compare SAESON OF STORMS to her other works. What tempted me to pick it up was the theatrical element of the story along with a hint of the past haunting the main character through dreams. However, although I began by enjoying the story's slow unwinding, I quickly found myself becoming bored.

The...
Published on 12 Mar. 2010 by Brida

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read but not as good as her previous books, 6 Dec. 2001
Scottish play of William Shakespere.
Many Dangerous situations lead up to the opening night, with more than a few surprizes along the way.
Fans of MS Kearsley will find this novel somewhat less " spooky and ghostly " than her previous books but none the less enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant novel from Susanna Kearsley, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Season of Storms (Paperback)
Firstly I have to say although I really enjoyed this book, it wasn't my favourite of her works. It's difficult to compare this one to Sophia's Secret and Mariana as they were absolutely outstanding but that still dosen't mean that that this is still an excellent book. It took the first few chapters to get into but it was really worth it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't cause a storm for me - more like a faint breeze, 12 Mar. 2010
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Season of Storms (Paperback)

The basis of the plot is that the main character, Celia Sands, is a young actress who shares her name with an infamous actress from the early 1900s who disappeared the night before she stared in a play by playwright Galeazzo D'Ascanio. When Celia is asked to star as the lead in a new staging of the famously doomed play, she travels to Italy in which to do so. And, far from being the past, the events of the original Celia Sands begins to haunt her.

OK, sounds great. The problem with this book is the pace - it is incredibly slow. Kearsley takes a long time describing every little detail. This results in very little actually happening for quite a while. I am normally a fast reader but I was trudging through this - a few times I stopped after only a short time but then decided to pick it up again and trudge on some more.
Although I can see that some will relish the attention to detail, for me it was too much. Rather than the slow amble towards the heart of the story, I would have preferred there to be a bit more of a storm to drive me on with my reading.

I may look at some of her other pieces of work, but unfortunately this one I cannot recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars COMES UP A BIT DRY..., 31 May 2003
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a somewhat tepid book by this award winning author. Perhaps because her other novels are so terrific, this one pales in comparison. While well written, it moves along at a ponderous pace, a lull before the storm that never quite arrives.
The author weaves two stories in one. One is about a turn of the century actress, Celia Sands, who mysteriously disappeared, during a torrid affair with her wealthy, married Italian lover, who wrote a play for her. She never had an opportunity to perform the leading role in her lover's masterpiece, however, due to her untimely disappearance. The main story line is about a present day actress of the same name, though no relation, who is called upon to play the role the first Celia Sands was unable to play.
For this role, Ms. Sands is brought to a villa in Italy, which was once the home of the playwright and now belongs to his grandson, Alex. While there, Celia realizes that there are some strange goings on, but does not know why. All soon becomes clear, though it takes many pages for everything to fall into place. There is really nothing too mysterious in this mildly suspenseful novel.
Those who have read the author's other novels may be mildly disappointed. Newcomers to this author may enjoy it more. Nonetheless, it is still a well written, though somewhat tepid and belabored, novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars lost opportunity, 11 Feb. 2014
Artemisia (Abruzzi, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Season of Storms (Paperback)
I bought this book because of the promising description and because other books I have read by the same author were entertaining, rather light though nicely written reads for moments of leisure. The author herself states in her acknowledgements that the novel, a work of fiction, was written in homage to the great Italian poet, Gabriele D'Annunzio. So I expected a pleasurable but somewhat more taxing book this time, with a setting rather closer in spirit to D'Annunzio's celebrated retreat on Lake Garda and a vivid, more eccentric atmosphere, with well-rounded characters to match. Alas, the characters were little more than stereotypes, the story motifs ordinary, the pace snail-like and the atmosphere limp, damp, and off-putting. Not to mention that what there is of Italy and the Italians is seen through rose or blue-tinted glasses, according to the moment, and has little to do with Italy as a real country and its inhabitants as real persons. A struggle to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A twisted plot, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Season of Storms (Paperback)
Like the Sands of an egg timer, the trickle of the grains gather speed before the plunge of an exciting end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Suzanne Kearsleys books, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Season of Storms (Paperback)
I think most people would like this book, I shall certainly pass it on to my friends when I have finished it

2.0 out of 5 stars An endless Season of Storms., 21 July 2013
This review is from: Season of Storms (Kindle Edition)
I struggled to finish this book in the hope it would improve, but it did'nt! The plot was totally unbelievable and half the characters were surplus to requirements. The "leading lady" aged twenty two, behaved like a twelve year old wimpish, victorian miss, I think she clung to every standing male available. The endless descriptions were simply boring and I truly can't think of anyone I would recommend this book to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recomended!, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Season of Storms (Paperback)
Again a wonderful novel by Susanna Kearsley. Her caracters and cast of surrounding is great. i love her novels.So, read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Season of Storms
Season of Storms by Susanna Kearsley (Paperback - 2 Aug. 2010)