Last Breath (Morganville Vampires)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 25 October 2011
This book absolutley blew me away! I got it delivered on Monday and finished it in 5 hours. Just couldn't put it down. I was on a rollercoaster of emotions the entire way through. Was laughing at the beginning and crying at the end. Without a doubt the best morganville book yet! Can't wait to see what Ms Caine thinks of next. Would definetly reccomend this book!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 October 2011
Got this delivered on Monday and had finished it by bed time! I just couldn't put it down. Not an exactly seamless follow on from Bite Club, but by book 11 you should know the characters now anyway. Written in the mindset of various characters throughout the book which makes a good story even more enjoyable. Definitely one of the best Morganville books to date, leaves you screaming for no. 12 to hurry up and be here already. Shame the next one is six months away.
on 26 October 2011
I was so excited about the release of this book and it did not disappoint me. These books just get better and better each time a new one released. I loved it and yes sobbed my heart out. For those who have not read this you have got to it is absolutely amazing. I am just hoping there will be another book soon to continue this fantastic collection. A must read for all. 10 out of 10.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 December 2011
I have loved all of the morganville books and was eagerly awaiting this one's release. It definitely didn't disappoint. So good I read it in two days (would have been shorter but it got confiscated by my dad because i was reading so much!!)

I got really suspicious at the start of the book when I saw Rachel Caine's note about how there would be a twelfth book no matter what happened throughout this one, and this added to the tension because you just know something big is going to happen.

This book delved into the world of Amelie and what the true motives of the Morganville vampires are, making it more informative and suspense-filled than all of the other books. It built up the relationship between the four living in the glass house and their comeraderie, creating even more reasons for the reader to be completely on their side, but also created a better understanding for why the vampires behave the way they do.

I thought since it was the eleventh book it might be a bit repetitive from the other books, but anyone who thinks this is completely wrong. Halfway through the book Rachel Caine wrote something that left me completely shocked and amazed at how she was going to write more! But good old Myrnin gets himself involved and all was resolved.

Definitely recommend the series to anyone who likes this genre. Can't wait for the next book!!!
on 21 March 2012
This review may well, and probably does, contain spoilers for books in the Morganville series up to 11.

I'm so happy to have finally caught up with all of the currently available titles in the Morganville series because that was fantastic. Last Breath didn't feel the same as any of the others, not even when Bishop came along and left everybody feeling as if there was no end in sight, and not when they left town. This was something else and I liked it and I really, honestly could not put it down.

The guy mentioned in the blurb, Magnus, is very creepy. Last Breath has quite a sinister, almost nightmarish feel to it as vampires slowly disappear without a trace and the vampires in general are frightened. More so than when Bishop showed up.

We also see the return of different character perspectives in Last Breath, though unlike Shane's passages in Bite Club, these didn't turn me off from the story but in fact added to it immensely. As usual, the main viewpoint is Claire's but we also get the chance to see inside Eve's, Shane's, Michael's, and even Amelie's heads and it is fascinating. We see a little more from vampire headquarters that not even the main characters see and from time to time, we know more than the characters do. It's very odd, but also interesting to see how everybody reacts. Truly.

The parts of Last Breath that really made an impression on me are pretty big spoilers so I won't discuss them but I do have to say: wow. If you haven't read Last Breath yet and you are a fan of Morganville, stop what you are doing and pick it up right now.
on 10 March 2012
The newest conflict in Morganville is dividing the vampire and human residents even more than usual. Eve and Michael have announced their engagement and it seems few locals are impressed by the possiblity of a mixed race marriage. Hidden in the background, vampires are disappearing from Morganville and Claire suspects that it has something to do with the mysterious newcomer Magnus. But soon Claire is forced to question the possibility that something out there preys on vampires.

This is the eleventh book in the Morganville Vampires series (which began with Glass Houses) and is a book I approached with trepidation. The previous installment had been slow paced and I didn't enjoy the switching narrators so when I realised this had even more narrators I was nervous. Needless to say my fears where totally unfounded as this fast-paced installment is action packed and kept me glued to the page.

This time Claire is joined by Amelie, Shane, Michael and Eve to tell the story and, while the character's voices aren't always as clear as I would like, it adds a new layer of depth to the book. There is a lot going on in this book - Eve and Michael's engagement, Claire and Shane's relationship and the disappearing vampires. The pace increases throughout the book to a massive showdown that will reshape the world of Morganville forever.

The mythology is really well developed, and the multiple perspectives allow new insights into Morganville and it's residents. Amelie in particular shows for the first time the true nature of the vampires and just how far they will go to control the human residents and each other. There are also some more human issues covered - like mixed race marriages, birth control and bigotry.

All in all this was an awesome read and I can't wait for Black Dawn.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50
on 4 November 2011
The humans of Morganville are lead to believe that the vampires are the only big bad things to be scared of. So when a simple note scares those vampires so much they make plains to pack up and leave. It leaves the residents of the glass house wondering what's scary enough to make the vampires run.

I'm a massive Morganville vampire fan. What I love best is that each book has the same main characters but the stories are always different and exciting.

As I have read all the books in the series I can say that the main characters feel more like family to me. To me it's like I'm reading about people I have known all my life. Yet again in this book it starts off funny and like any so called normal day in a town run by vampires and before you know it the book is straight into the action.

This time Claire and her friends are trying to work out who is kidnapping the local vampires in town but the closer they get to the truth the more danger they are in. While the book is really gripping and the action packed there is also a lot more to love about the book. At times the book is so emotional you feel like braking down with the characters. There is also lots of funny chats and nicknames that are used in the book that make you laugh truth be told this book really does have a mix of everything. Yet again the gang work well together and help each other get by so you really get to love everything about this book and the series.

Rachel Caine writing style is always easy to read and everything thing she writes is top class.
I have to give this book 5 stars it's another breath taking book to a one of a kind series what more could readers want!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am supposed to be on a book buying ban, I have so many books to be read, and I'm short of money, but I saw this had been released and I just had to buy it - come on it's Rachel Caine. RACHEL CAINE people, she is an absolute LEGEND.
I love Rachel Caine's style of writing, her books capture you immediately, plus she's a really nice person in real life. Hope she comes back to the UK so I can meet her again.
This book is number 11 in the series and it just keeps getting better. Some series' that go on this long start to feel tired or boring, but these just get more exciting and I can't wait for more. I can never get too much Caine.
Vampires are disappearing and something sinister is lurking in the shadows. Claire is sure she has seen someone or something lurking in the shadows. She has to figure out what is happening before it's too late and the entire town goes down.
Opening these books is like being welcomed home or greeted by friends. I instantly feel like I am in their world and ready to share their story, part of their lives.
I love how Claire continues to grow as a character - you get more and more of her each time and it's like watching her grow up.
Eve is still sassy and funny and like a big sister, but on eyou don't mess with as she could kick your a**.
I like Shane more and more and you see another side of him in this book.
Myrnin is still my favourite, don't know why but something about him makes me smile and I want more of him on the page.
The plot in this book is exciting, like grip the pages, chew your nails, squeal in shock exciting. It's 477 pages long and I read it in less than 24 hours. I just couldn't stop!
I highly recommend you read this series, it is incredible. Definitely one of my favourites.
on 18 November 2012
Things never are easy for the people in Morganville as three vampires have gone missing and the last person seen with them is a stranger in town called Magnus. As Claire digs deeper she discovers that Magnus is something different and that Vampires are not the top predator, something else preys on them. This is a very emotional book, where the reader experiences highs and lows along with the characters. This book also answers the question which has been annoying me since the first book; why do vampires live in the desert? Last Breath is a vast improvement over Bite Club and would recommend this to anyone who likes the rest of the Morganville series.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
How Caine keeps it coming with new and original ideas while still keeping our need for Shane, Eve, Claire and Micheal is testament to the series so far.

And your in for a treat with this new and believe me, you will never have seen it coming, story!

While we know that our favourite housemates may be on reprieve and be 'in' in some ways with the Founder Amelie, Morganville is still not a safe place when teaming with Vampires. But this time it's not humans vs Vampires, we see the emergence of a new enemy and one who is not so easily seen...

While oblivious to the threat, we start off almost normal life with Eve and Micheal arranging to try to tie the knot, something which later doesn't exactly go to plan. But for now life seems good for all of 4 and the town seems, like a home almost. The calm before the storm. A storm which quite literally comes which of course in a town where it rains, if you are lucky, twice a year, begins to rain a lot and this is significant in relevance to the enemy which shows to be deadly not just to humans, but to Vampires...

It seems this is something Amelie had seen coming, we see the choices become clear of why Morganville was chosen and the origins of the Vampire come to light. With the realization of a new enemy which seems to be claiming more lives than can be saved and some which we love as a reader, we are on edge to it climactic end in bullets, silver and water...

While before we have have had mostly Claire's perspective, this time the book, quite appropriately has multiple narratives and for the first time in one book we hear from Eve, Micheal, Claire and Shane, something I am sure any Morganville Vampire will cherishly read :)

Cassandra220689