5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
In Mariana, Julia Beckett moves from London to Greywethers, a house in the country that has seemingly called out to her for years. She begins having "flashbacks" of sorts, to when she was Mariana Farr, a young woman living during the Restoration. Not only does Julia live the life of her predecessor, she actually is Mariana, feeling her feelings and thinking her...
Published on 20 May 2009 by Ellis Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Quite an interesting story about parallel lives. Travels back and forth in time - nice easy read for bedtime or holiday read
Published 20 months ago by Mrs. J. Marsh

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 19 Aug 2012
Mrs. S. V. Cowperthwaite (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
This book is unusual, switching between centuries and linking the main characters effortlessly and before you realise what is happening. INTRIGUING.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, haunting story, 23 Mar 2012
Helen S - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
From the moment Julia Beckett first sees Greywethers as a five-year-old, she knows there's something special about the lonely farmhouse, but it's not until she's an adult and a successful illustrator of children's books that she gets the chance to buy it. As she settles into her new home, Julia gets to know her new neighbours, including the gardener Iain Sumner, Geoffrey de Mornay, the owner of nearby Crofton Hall (which is said to be haunted), and Freda Hutherson, who somehow seems to know a lot about Julia without being told.

Soon Julia's life becomes mysteriously linked with the life of Mariana Farr, a young woman who lived at Greywethers with her uncle in the 17th century. As Julia spends more and more time in the 1600s she grows increasingly obsessed with Mariana's story and starts finding it difficult to keep the past separate from the present.

There are some books that feel like they could almost have been written specifically for me and Mariana is one of them - it had all the things I love in a book and I really have nothing negative to say about it. The time period for the historical sections is one that I always find interesting to read about (the Restoration era, the plague and the aftermath of the English Civil War), the characters are easy to like and the relationships between them feel believable, and I also loved the atmosphere - although this is not actually a ghost story, it does have quite a ghostly, haunting feel.

Novels with dual time frames don't often work for me as I usually find myself enjoying the historical storyline more than the modern day one. That was not a problem with this book because the events that took place in the two time periods were very closely connected and the transitions between the two were so smooth I hardly noticed when one changed to the other. The way Julia moves between the centuries really felt convincing.

The ending was unexpected and really surprised me because I certainly hadn't guessed what was going to happen. It was maybe a bit abrupt and left a few things unresolved, but I liked it. Susanna Kearsley's writing reminds me of two other authors whose novels I love - Daphne du Maurier and Mary Stewart. Having enjoyed this one and The Rose Garden so much I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but it could have ended better, 25 April 2009
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
Though I did enjoy this book, I have to admit I found the end a bit rushed, i was left going 'wait that's it?' Like sophia's secret this book is split between two time periods and the author makes it work but I think the author wanted to add a twist so much that it was unnatural.

SPOILER-------------------------------------

I did like iain but because he was off limits (due to vivian) I ignored his character somewhat so when the ending was revealed I didnt feel that connected to him. Also what happens when Geoff gets back from France "sorry got it wrong ends up your best mate is the reincarnation of my dead lover, not you..." I don't know though I liked the characters I didn't like this book as much as Kearsleys others.

END SPOILER---------

I gave this book a 4 as though the ending wasn't to my taste it was a good book and took up a day, also Kearsleys previous books have been fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, 20 Aug 2009
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
I didn't think it would be a book I liked, but what a pleasant surprise! I love books that draw you into the story and make you want to read more. I couldn't put the book down. The characters are likeable and although sometimes maybe a bit predictable, the storyline still captivated me.The only critic I have is that the end is very abrupt! The whole time the tension builds up and then in a few sentences the mystery is revealed and the book ends. But still a good book. Definitely going to read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars a n excellent read, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed Mariana. This is the second SusannaKearsley novel I have read - Sophia's Secret being the other, and I preferred this one. It reads quickly and smoothly and you are looking forward to the ending. -which does not disappoint!. Now that I have found her, I shall read more of her books and I would recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars love love loved it., 11 July 2014
J. Acutt "Love stories" (Haxted, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
The first of Kearsley's books I've read. I was gripped the entire way through. I absolutely loved this book and have gone on to read many of her books. Easy read, interesting topic, superb characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Mar 2014
M. Thurley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
A really good book I couldn't put down. Lots of twists and turns right to the very end, so enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars The reincarnation of a young woman, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
Too predictable for my liking although the end came a bit as a surprise. The correspondence between the characters over the centuries is overdone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fantastic Novel by Susanna Kearsley, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
Truly gripping and such a romantic tale. Once I started this book I could not put it down. This is my third novel by SK and not one has disappointed. I am steadily making my way through all her books. What a treat!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
Wow! I loved this book. The alternating between the past and present is written perfectly. This is one of my favourite books, I highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Mariana
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley (Paperback - 2 Mar 2009)
6.39