5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!
Published on 3 Nov. 2010 by Kirsty

1.0 out of 5 stars Not endorsed by me!
Published on 15 Oct. 2008 by K. Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not endorsed by me!, 15 Oct. 2008
K. Thompson "karlsoc" (uk, surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
I agree with the previous comments by other reviewers. This book contains very dated material and offers very thin coverage of the syllabus in a very dry format. It adds nothing at all to the existing body of AS literature. At a recent conference Robb Webb, the chief examiner for the AQA, said that he doesn't endorse it, and neither does anybody else I know who is high up in the AQA examiner hierarchy. Just because a text book has the AQA logo on does not actually mean the AQA endorses that text. Don't buy this, buy the text by Stephen Moore et al instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, 3 Nov. 2010
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
I found this book to be very helpful. I've been studying A levels from home without any tutor support so this book was my only learning tool for sociology. I sat both AS exams in January 2010 and achieved A grades in both of them despite the fact that I left my revision until the last minute! I'm not sure why this book has some bad reviews. I doubt I would have achieved an A without it!

1.0 out of 5 stars On the grapevine, 15 Feb. 2009
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
I understand that Pat McNeill, who is listed as 'consultant' to this book, was so unhappy with the way his comments on the manuscript were ignored by Nelson Thornes that he asked them to take his name off the cover. This was not done. He is not happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, 21 July 2013
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
This book is highly detailed and is a good source to refer to when needed during revision. I highly recommend this book for students who are considering to study A level Sociology!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
I'm using this book for my sociology assignments, so very useful, good book for as level students, not difficult language, easy to understant

1.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate for AS. Don't waste your money, 30 Aug. 2008
A teacher (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
I'm amazed that this is the AQA-approved text, as it doesn't cover all the things mentioned even in the AQA's own published specification or scheme of work for AS Sociology. It lacks breadth and depth, and is very weak on theory. In many ways it seems to be pitched more at top-end GCSE than AS level, and it is hard to imagine any student using this book doing better than scraping an E grade. It seems to be in a different academic universe from the established texts by Browne, Webb, Moore and Haralambos, all of which include substantially more theory, research evidence,detail and evaluation, and provide a strong basis for students getting decent grades and progressing to A2. It is difficult to imagine students who use this for AS being adequately prepared for progression to A2. We hear much about dumbing down these days, most of it unjustified, but if the AQA really do see this as the standard-setting textbook, which presumably they do since it is the only text that has their seal of approval, then I think there's something to worry about. I've given it a generous one star for effort, but I'd advise teachers and students to avoid this book, and stick to the established favourites if they hope to achieve success at AS and eventually A2.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awful!, 28 Jan. 2009
T. Windsor "as student" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
This text book is absolutely awful! Our lecturer reccommended it a the start of the year and made us all buy it. The text book is dull and dreary. It isn't a very stimulating and there are definitely better text books out there. For example Rob Webb and CGP. Now, we have worked through the book and have started going through another book which is a whole lot better.
If anything, I would reccommend everyone not to buy this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Why are we using this textbook?, 29 Oct. 2009
K. Hughes (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
I am an AS student, just beginning this year. Due to the new specification being bought in for 2009, my college has switched to this book, instead of the Haralambos book used last year. What I don't understand is why is this book endorsed by AQA when all I've read is negative reviews from teachers? I don't really know why I wanted to write a review but I was just wondering if any teachers could suggest me using the new updated version of the AS Haralambos book as I really need to pass well, and all I've seen said is that students using this book in class will not pass highly. Help!

5.0 out of 5 stars my bible, 24 Oct. 2010
L. Miller (kent,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
i bought this book while doing an access to health diploma at college and it became my best friend. an absolutely brilliant book really easy to read and understand. i would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars aqa, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book (Paperback)
just what is required for studies

AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book
AQA Sociology AS: Student's Book by Mark Peace (Paperback - 10 Mar. 2008)