4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for AQA triple science
I am using this to revise for my GCSEs (Triple science, higher tier) and although I haven't used any chemistry guides from any other companies this one seems to pack the information in more densly.

Published on 2 May 2009 by C-R

1.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLTUTLY THE WORST BOOK FOR CHEMISTRY MEMORISE IT INSIDE OUT AND ALL ...
ABSOLTUTLY THE WORST BOOK FOR CHEMISTRY
MEMORISE IT INSIDE OUT AND ALL THE EQUATIONS , PRACTICE PAST PAPERS QUESTIONS AND ALSO USE THE CGP BOOKS AS MANY TOPICS ARE NOT WELL EXPLAINED IN IT
Published 3 months ago by Dillon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for AQA triple science, 2 May 2009

The first thing you notice is that there isn't a contents page. The book is ordered the same way as the student book (C1,C2 C3), then the units split in half with a page of examination style questions and examples of answered exam style questions at the end of each half. Then each unit is split into chapters with a pre test at the start and a test at the end (e.g. C2 2 Structures and properties). Then finally sub chapters (e.g. C2 2.3 giant covelant substances).

The sub chapters are typically half a page to a page long and each one contains:
-The main body of text
-A refence to its page in the student book
-One to three key point sentences
-Key words
-Three or four 'check yourself' questions (NOT exam style)

In addition to this the book also has extra stuff that may be included:
-'AQA examiner says', this is usually about mistakes people get in exams and what king of questions you can expect
-'Get it right', including key points you might mix up
-'Bump or your grade' for grade A students

Some pages also have diagrams where necassary and the book puts stuff only for higher tier students in a seperate box.

At the start of the book it has one page on how to answer questions and another two on 'how science works'. At the back there are 3 data sheets (reactivity series, Ions & periodic table).

Overall the book is great. It doesn't try to be funny by including jokes like CGP books (I prefer it like this personally). For me when reading it, the concepts are expressed in enough detail to be refershed in your mind if you have all ready been taught them by a teacher or by the student book.
For example when reading electrolysis chapter I really had no clue and found that after reading bbc bitesize I understood much better and re-read the chapter (which goes into much more needed detail than bitesize) and got all of it. This was my fault I feel not the books.

That said as the information is still packed so densly you may need to read slowly and pause to think about the concepts. In parts it will get confusing if you don't understand previous topics deeply (mainly bonding).

Apart from the lack of a contents page there are some other bad points; Although nearly all you information is included in the main text some of the infomation (such as 'why does this happen') has to be found in the 'check yourself' questions.

Some of the concepts can just confuse you though and made me feel lost. For me this really only applied to the hard mole calcuations (such as titrations). I found myself wondering where some of the figures came from.

Summary
If you feel you understand the concepts and just need to refresh your memory on what you need to know for the exam then this is the guide for you. If you don't fully understand the concepts I would say either buy another guide or the student book.

Also I think this guide is much more suited to people aiming for A/A* than people aiming for C's.

Good luck if you buy it.

I can reccommend the physics and biology guide more than this one as I find the concpets in those subjects easier to understand (biology especially) and find that I can read those faster than i can read this guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 3 May 2008
I thoroughly revised from this and it helped me to get A*'s, i'd definitely reccomend this book, very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 13 Feb. 2008
Wow, a really great guide, a fantsatic follow through to the others in the series and so useful, it really prepared me for the exams... GREAT

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Revision Guide, 24 Nov. 2010
Very recently my 14 years old daughter was taking her GCSE Science modular exam of Chemistry and Biology. As I helped her with the revision, I found that the text book AQA Science: GCSE Student Book, although packed with lots of information, it was difficult to read as it does not give you the direct answer needed for the exam questions. I've been through several past exam papers with my daughter as part of the revision exercise, and have to use other sources to search for the answers. Hence my reason for buying this AQA Science Revision Guide: Chemistry. This was bought after her modular exam and I hope to use this for her next module. So far I find this revision guide a useful supplement to the text book she uses for her home work and revision. The guide pinpoints and highlights the information you really need to know for the exam. The other student text book which I feel is comprehensive enough for general knowledge but lack focus in helping students to answer exam questions. Given the fact that the exam is taken under time constrain (30 mins each paper), you really need to know exactly the correct answer in order to pass and achieve the desirable grade. Also this revision guide helps me and my daughter to quickly understand what is it she needs to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent **REVISION** guide, 18 Feb. 2008
G. Nichols - See all my reviews
works perfectly as a revision tool, however do not rely on this to learn the course! The negative review is due to the customer thinking it is a text book. Easy to read, very useful information in a user-friendly layout. I definetly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is makes revision so easy for both parent and student!, 10 Mar. 2010
I dont normally spend time writing reviews but thought I should just mention as there is a minefield of revision books out there and it becomes confusing to know which ones to buy. As a parent and wanting to make revision easier for my teenager, I hunted for one that was exactly in line with her studies (exam board and levels for GCSE). This was perfect and made testing her really easy and alot quicker than it would have done had i not had this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars AQA revison guide, 1 Dec. 2009
Stephanie Nalywajko (Lomdopn) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - must have.., 16 July 2010
I already had a copy of this guide, which I've used to help with my daughters revision very successfully. Then we lost it during a house move and her next exam was coming up.. and I just had to get another copy. This is a great guide :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars must buy, 5 Oct. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: AQA Science GCSE Physics Evaluation Pack: AQA GCSE Physics Revision Guide (Aqa Science Revision Guides) (Paperback)
I am a student at GEMS Bolitho school and have found this and the other AQA science books, the most useful book I have ever been issued. BUY IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Helped, 8 Jun. 2010
Hi

This was a great revision guide with simple summaries, exam tips and exam style questions. The answers are in the back so you can check your progress. Only a thin book so easy to carry round to revise when you get a few minutes spare.

Let's just hope it was good enough to help me pass!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›