on 15 September 2010
Overall, I thought the book was very useful and is really helping me with my studies. I think that the layout made understanding the text much easier and the questioning help test your understandinf of the topic. However, I thought that the book overall was too small (in size not pages) and therefore the font was quite small and some of the code looked a bit squashed up. Overall, this is a great book for students of Computing but also for people eager to learn programming skills.
on 31 December 2012
Very dense writing. Every word is essential. The quetions at first sight look as if they have not been covered, you have to really read the text, not just scan it. It is all there. This book will get you through the exam, but you need to understand the subject, not just memorise it if you want to keep up in the real world as it is changing so fast.
on 22 May 2015
This is not helpful for the AQA AS Computing course. It is filled with worthless information that is not needed for the exam, silly filler that could easily be left out. Worst of all is it's not clear what parts are filler and what parts are needed. Would recommend downloading a student's notes and learning from those instead
on 4 July 2013
I have just finished the two year AQA course for computing using these textbooks (A2 textbook too) and can I say how unhelpful they are. One example is within the input output device section of this book. If you use the information in the paragraphs given within this textbook you will not get the marks. They are totally inadequate for this. Other explanations are totally unclear and only make sense after reading multiple times. Now this isn't the subject itself, I have looked up the topics it tries to explain online and understood them quickly. This textbook does not represent the answers examiners are looking for.
on 2 November 2013
This book hasn't really helped with the programming side of the course but aids you well through the theory but since there's not much else out there this is what we have to use!
on 21 April 2014
Not just the book. The course itself. Is there a better AQA computing book? Probably not, so everyone is stuck with this. It's definitely a good beginner guide for a couple of programming languages, but if that's what you need look elsewhere as half the book also covers hardware (note: not how to build computers), and let's face it, this book is a bit overpriced for its contents.

This book isn't dense either. There's a lot of irrelevant facts that take away attention much required for what's really important. For example, there's a third of a page on inkjet printers for something that requires 5 lines at best.

And the aging. I have 10 year old maths books that feel outdated (I also have maths books just a year or two old and the teaching methods have really evolved). 6 years may be less than 10, but this is computing, technology. There's nothing on 3D or LED, yet there's stuff on CRTs (the heavy, box TVs, popular over 10 years ago).

If you do choose this course, you have to be aware that about half of it is electronics, not programming (practical and theory). Website design is a very small fraction of the course (about 1/20 or 5% of the marks at AS, if not less). You also have to be aware that you'll be stuck with a 2008 technology course in 2015.

If your college offers the book in class, I'd avoid buying (mine does but I still bought, for my regret). Spend that money printing all available past papers including mark schemes and focus on studying those mark schemes instead. Teachers should offer useful presentations and word documents that will cover the whole course unlike this book. Pair up teacher given resources with past papers and you're good to go.
on 14 June 2015
Good for course purposes, however I found that a lot of parts just vaguely glossed over certain topics (same for the A2 book)
Overall it's very good to get an idea of the concepts, just don't rely on it for your revision.

For an absolute beginner this is a very good way to have an introduction to computing.
on 26 May 2009
This was a real help with my AS computing as it explained different steps with in programming really clearly and it was easy to look at and find what I need in the book. 8/10
on 4 November 2013
MY SON HAS FOUND THIS INVALUABLE FOR HIS AQA COMPUTING AS LEVEL COURSE. IT WAS RECOMMENDED BY HIS SCHOOL SO I DID NOT HESITATE TO BUY IT.
on 3 November 2013
Now that I have this book I shall be able to solve P V NP problem, create a hack and drop into the backdoor of websites of MI5 and the CIA. I shall of course then be able to create a fire sale that will take down all the computer sytems all over the world. The only thing that can stop me now is a blast from an EMP. Thanks Amazon, great book.