AQA Chemistry AS: Student's Book
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£25.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 August 2010
Despite not listening at all to my teacher in chemistry all year long, using this book to learn the sylabus I managed to get an overall B for chemistry. Really nicely layed out in easy to understand sections it made learning it so easy (: Only thing I would say is that although they have practice exam questions, the answers are not included which is a little pointless. Better to check aqa site out for that kinda thing I found. Sorry for the poor review, it is late at night but I hope this helps.
on 9 March 2011
A decent textbook. The writing is concise, and the large, colourful diagrams are very helpful when covering some of the conceptually harder topics. I've managed to self-teach quite a lot of my course from this book (due to an awful teacher), and it does go into the right level of detail for the exam. Also, the examiners' tips dotted about the pages are extremely useful when learning exam technique.

However, there are some pretty bad faults with it, which can only be corrected if you know the material before reading the book. Annoyingly, most of these typos pop up when a crucial point is being explained. For example, the book refers to the dehydration of ethene to form ethanol: this is wrong (it should read hydration), but the reader wouldn't know that unless they have another reliable resource. The most glaring error however, would be a missing diagram in one chapter (the book refers to a Figure 3, and there is just a space where it was meant to be).

Also, the exam-style questions at the end of the chapter do not reflect the most recent changes to the syllabus. They are still good for revision, but bear in mind that recent past papers/the real exam will have a slightly different style of question.

I would recommend this book, but only if you have access to another reputable book/teacher; there aren't a lot of errors, but they're all big ones.
on 16 July 2014
This was the recommended chemistry book for my AS class.

Pros: It was comprehensive and most topics were very clearly explained. I found an extra revision guide handy (I bought a CGP one) to supplement the material, but I would probably have been okay just using this book (along with lessons and practicing exam papers).

Cons: There are a few misprints in the book including in a couple of the answers. I bought a second hand copy and the student before me had highlighted most of the errors but it was still irritating. Not irritating enough to put me off using the book, but it did occasionally waste my time as I figured out why the book disagreed with itself.

Also, while the end of topic questions have answers in the book, the answers to the exam questions aren't in there. Most of the time I could find them online, but the book doesn't list what paper the exam questions are from (e.g. winter or summer exams and what unit the question is from) and some of the older questions I couldn't find, so it as extremely time consuming marking my work.

The book doesn't cover practical skills, so if a student wants to review those they'll need to find the information elsewhere.

In summary, it got my through my AS Chemistry okay and I'd buy another in the range for A2, but I'll be aware that they might be misprints and might try and find a better way to practice past paper questions.
on 5 February 2009
This is an excellent reference book for everything that the new AQA Chemistry syllabus includes.
I was struggling in the jump between GCSE and A Level before I got this book - and then I improved all my test results from Cs and Ds to As after using this book (touch wood) but of course it came with alot of work.
Though this book's value cannot be underestimated and gives another view and way of explaining the hardest aspects of the course!
It also supplies loads of practice questions and past paper questions which are the key to getting good grades.
Though there are the occassional typos, after being checked with your Teacher you feel you understand more than the Book!
I real must have for anyone taking AS AQA Chemistry!
Splendid!
on 4 January 2012
I bought this textbook after much deliberation...the cost being the major problem for me.
In the end,I bought a new version of Ebay for half the price, and I havent regretted buying it.
This textbook is specific to the AQA, with EXAM style questions throughout from past papers (some people have complained because there are no answers to them but they are from past exam papers, e.g. 2003, 2005 so can be found on the internet if you look hard enough)
However, each page/2 pages which covers one thing has its own summary questions, with answers at the back of the book
There is also a very helpful glossary at the back with useful definitions which often come up in the exam.
I didn't need a revision guide when using this text book, which was great. It is easy to understand and diagrams are useful.
I got an A in the end in this exam and this book helped me alot. Although overpriced, it is a must-have for anyone doing AQA AS Chemistry.
The only reason this gets 4 star is because it is overpriced---get it on Ebay instead : )
on 20 March 2013
I do like this book and the detail is good, however it must be noted that the mistakes in it are more than a few. If you look carefully there are some in most chapters, with some being severe mistakes- both in the content and the summary questions. One on the summary questions occured when it asked for isomers of pentane and gave butane with methyl and ethyl groups in the answers- surely the question should have said c2h5 instead. This error is more slight but the more severe ones are worth looking out for. If you dont have one though it is worth getting one.
on 20 April 2013
As a year 12 student studying chemistry, I found this text book perfect. Ever since I started using it I found I understand the course much more than before. I need to retake one of my units and this book is a great aid. The layout is structured and everything you need for your course you will find. My chemistry teacher is picky when it comes to us making notes and wants us to know every little aspect. So, when he told us to make notes I used this book and got an A for the depth of my notes.
If you want an excellent book then I highly recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 January 2011
Solid book - well written, keeping things really straight-forward and systematically covering every point from the AQA specification in colour with diagrams and interesting asides. Shame the end of chapter exam-style questions don't have the answers in the back but I suppose that's a deliberate move so it can be used as a resource for teachers to set questions from for homework. The summary questions scattered throughout chapters do have the answers in the back so that's good enough for self-learning.
on 3 August 2012
As it is written by examinors from the AQA board it definately has most of the content you need to know. However, unlike the biology textbook (which I found MUCH better) this htextbook did miss out a few bits which came up in past papers. Every paper I did had one question which was answered by this textbook.

Apart from that, it did get me through my AS level chemistry, I pretty much had to teach myself using this book, and got an A at the end of it, so it did it's job!
on 2 December 2012
OK,but sadly my grandson got ppor grade in his A-Level Chemistry and Maths,but has qualified for Aberystwyth University.reading English and Creative Writing. He did well in English,Art and General Studies exams.,with his course work .
Of course all these things are up to individuals selected A - Level courses,problem here was he thought he'd be a forensic scientist,but found out he really was best at writing,art and theatre.