on 3 August 2007
Phil Barker never ceases to inspire and to challenge, and in this book he excels. He takes you through different forms of assessment and manages to put the patient / client first in all of them (which is very rare in books which cover assessment). Even after 20 odd years of nursing when I first read this it challenged me and helped change some of my ideas and unlike many other mental health texts you can read it more than one time and think to yourself I have discovered more. This alongside his psychiatric - mental health nursing are essential for learners and qualified staff alike.
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2008
This is a book that I found very beneficial as a student nurse. I still reference it years later as a qualified mental health nurse for guidance and support to improve patient care. It is one book of many that remain on my book shelf that I still refer to today (and I will not dispose of). Whether you are a student nurse or professional I found and still find this book very beneficial in maintaining patient focus. It is thought provoking and enables a focus of engagement. It sometimes establishes a rationale for something that you know you are already doing which is reassuring.
on 11 March 2013
This has been a very useful book, full of ideas. Phil Barker has a great way of working with people and assessment is extremely important to get right.
on 12 October 2014
Brilliant book. Arrived faster than I expected. 5 star ratings to Amazon UK for their fantastic work.
on 21 August 2015
The book is highly relevant is my main text ,second year mental health nursing