on 1 September 2004
Academic writing is very important issue for foreign students in English spoken countries. I had the opportunity to take part in a study preparation course for my planned MBA studies at Nottingham University Business school. So I had to work actually for six weeks with that book and intend to give an objective view about its features.
This books is really helpfully if your native language is not English. When I started the course I was writing reports in a similar style I was used to do in my native language (German). To be fair I have to say that I did not really plan my first reports and got into some problems. This book tries to give you guidance how you have to structurize and plan your academic essay and gives you useful vocabulary and chunks for your studies. Especially the first chapter of this book deals about planning and evaluating texts,how to write introductions,summaries,discussions and conclusions. I got the impression that all the students from foreign countries had defiencies in planning and concluding their essay.
Additionally, the book gives in a second chapter an idea about an effective use of paraphrasing, cohesion, generalisations,references and quotations. I do not really believe that this is saying anything to a non-native speaker, who has not read read this book. Therefore I like to recommend this book.
The third chapter tries to improve your language accuracy and is basically a section about grammar and how to use that in academic writing. Many students may say that there English is fine, as I did before, but I like to state that everyone who is more than 2 years out of school, will find practical things she / he may have forgotten.
Finally the last chapter is especially more dealing with special forms of papers like formal letter, CV's, designing and reporting surveys, comparison and dicursive essay.
This book is written in a very structured and clear way with lots of examples (including answers in the appendix) and might be a very useful tool for self studies. If you are willing to spend time in working on your own this book may upgrade your english skills, either if you passed Toeffl or IELTS.It has worked with me, having 9 years English at school and working for 6 years in an international business environment as an engineer.
I terms of space i like to conclude in a short form. It is really a nice comprehension of academic writing and I can really recommend this book for self studies. It is worth trying ! :o)
on 4 September 2004
"Academic writing" actually helped me very much in writing essays and projects during my study at the Business and Management Postgraduate Study Preparation Course at the University of Nottingham.
This book represents the functional course of English practical grammar and is intended for the international students, who are going not only to improve their knowledge in English grammar but also to learn main rules of academic writing.
It divided into four parts, each consisting of several paragraphs which are independent and can be studied in any order.
One of the advantages of this book is that it can be used both at classes and by student himself. "Academic writing" successfully combines theoretical material with well-selected examples and practical exercises with the answers at the end of the book.
on 27 August 2004
Throughout my experience of using some writing practice books, I find this book fairly good quality. There is not too much imformation which is suitable for the students who's not confident about writing because if it contained significant amount of information, they might find it very hard to start. Although limited information, it contains enough and clear explanation with suitable margin usage. However, if it included more sample answers to long writing tasks, it'd be nicer. In addition, normally students consider prices are expensive if they are more than £10 so if the price were reduced as close as £10, it'd be greater. Overall, the book has quite high quality.
on 25 August 2014
Wow what a great book! I struggle to keep my attention up in boring books but this one has constant questions which are actually fun :) the cover look SOO boring but don't judge it by that :) the inside is great ^^