5.0 out of 5 stars An informative and practical guide on how to beat stress, 18 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Stress-Busting for Teachers (Paperback)
Divided into seven main sections, Kyriacou explores definitions of stress and identifies the common sources within teaching. He helpfully suggests practical ways of avoiding problematic situations and investigates in depth both direct-action and pallative coping strategies. He moves on finally to discuss methods and stategies which schools and those in positions of management could employ in order to minimise staff stress levels. He ends on a practical note, inciting the reader to take steps to develop their stress-busting skills.
This 128 page book is thought provoking for those embarking on a career in education, teachers who have much experience and also those with a management role. Aimed at being inspirational, comforting, realistic and encouraging, Kyriacou prompts the individual to take stock of their own life-situation and do something positive.
To illustrate his points, many quotations have been taken from various teachers who have participated over the years in Kyriacou's stress-busting workshops, making the text particularly reader friendly (along with the witty cartoons!) I have selected one of my favourites to whet your appetite.
'Give me the strength to change that which can be changed. Give me the patience to cope with that which cannot. Give me the wisdom to know the difference between the two.'
We are encouraged to become self-aware, analyse, prioritise and keep things in perspective. Sound advice for anyone.
Stress is still seen by many as a weakness. I feel that this book will help to break down those barriers of ill-informed prejudice and educate teachers on how not only to help themselves, but also, on how to help their colleagues and friends. Each staffroom should have a copy!
Well-researched, with an extensive bibliography,this is a must for anyone studying stress in teaching.

4.0 out of 5 stars stress busting busted, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stress-Busting for Teachers (Paperback)
Having decided I was stressed I decided to do something about it! I bought this book to point me in the right direction to reflect on my work practices. I found it a very readable book and it has assisted me to change my approach to some of my work related responsibilities

Stress-Busting for Teachers
Stress-Busting for Teachers by Chris Kyriacou (Paperback - 6 Mar 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01