on 14 January 2003
My first thoughts were "Why didn't I have this when I started out in healthcare and again why didn't I when I first moved into healthcare management?"
This is not a highbrow text, showing off the authors' wealth of knowledge, mostly to other authors, but a practical text giving pragmatic guidance to real managers in modern healthcare.
There is plenty of sound theory, I think, but this is always translated into ideas about what the clinician or manager might do with that theory.
Being written by an experienced yet academically qualified manager it blends this theory and practice well. Being co-authored by a clinician, it says much to clinicians as well as general managers. It is also interesting to note that it says as much about managing oneself as about organisations.
Overall, I think that this is an accessible read that will be really useful to clinicians and managers at all levels.
on 31 May 2009
This is a fantastic,clear book which covers just about everything regarding management within the NHS. I am studying for my CMI and have found it so hard to find a book that is easy to follow and that focuses on management within a non-profit making environment; well that is until I was gifted this.

I am hoping to move jobs shortly and this book will also help with my interview prep as it covers so much.

I was lucky enough to meet Neil Wheeler and he is a very pleasant man indeed.
on 15 August 2001
This book offers the unique opportunity to delve into the basics of management principles in health care for both uninitiated and the hard core professionals. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that it had been able to marry theory and practicality successfully and covered every single area in a systematic and authentic manner.
on 14 November 2015