5.0 out of 5 stars From the musket to the SA 80 (A2), 12 July 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: British Military Rifles (Shire Album) (Paperback)
I have at least two of Peter Duckers books as I have his ones on military medals

I like all of the Shire Publications as they are very handy little reference books. they give you a great overview of a subject so that after 48 pages you have a grasp of s subject For most of us that might be enough.

They are lavishly illustrated with both colour and black and white. I happened to pay 4.95 for my copy.

I first learnt to shoot full bore on the old Lee Enflied .303 rifle No 4 during the sixties in the Combined Cadet force. we used to love that rifle as it was the one they used during the second world war and it was idea of a military rifle. It looked the business.It also looked exactly like the first world war version. I have a shot gun version of the rifle in my gun cabinet.

We used to love posing and telling new cadets that they would get a bruise from the kick if they did not hold it properly.

I only briefly stripped and handled the SLR which was around from the 1950s until the 1980s.

I have had plenty of experience on the SA80 or at least the cadet version of it.

I learnt that SA stands for small arm and 80 for the 80s. But now of course the rifle is called the individual weapon

It was heavily criticised when it first came out but the SA80 (A2) has overcome these problems.

If you are a military buff I cant recommend this book highly enough. It has a one page index which is very handy and as such shows it is a serious book. It sets out where you can see examples of all these rifles and where to look on the internet. A great little introduction and worth the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 July 2014
This review is from: British Military Rifles (Shire Album) (Paperback)
This was recommended and did not disappoint

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 April 2015
Interesting book

British Military Rifles (Shire Album)
British Military Rifles (Shire Album) by Peter Duckers (Paperback - 1 July 2005)