Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 May 2013
I was looking for a book that explained the history to Guilds and ideally how relevant they are today.
This book starts with background on Guilds across Europe, and then starts to detail each guild in the UK.
Personally, I found the earlier chapters repetitive and the cross-references between countries a little tedious, although it may well have historical business relevance. The latter sections about the London Liveries is fascinating, giving interesting and unusual facts, I particularly liked the concept of being able to classify them in a pecking order according to their start dates.
Lastly, I'd just say I bought the book to read out of interest, rather than any sort of reference. I think the amount it devotes to each livery and the readability makes it ideal for the casual reader.
on 9 March 2010
An excellent book and an invaluable guide to the Livery Companies of London and should be a 'must buy' for every new Liveryman or Freemen of companies or the City of London.
on 1 February 2016
I bought this as a present for my husband. The subject is very interesting but the font is really small and difficult for him to read easily. So disappointing.
on 2 January 2016
A great little book for anyone with an interest in the City of London and its institutions
on 30 August 2013
I was very pleased with this book and the quick service that got it to me. These slim volumes are very well written and informative.
on 30 December 2014