Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 December 2000
The amateur theatre group to which I belong recently mounted a short season of plays set in the 1930s. Having been recommended by a friend this book was an absolute godsend to our props/set design department as it provided an excellent source of inspiration. Thanks to this book we were able to achieve a really authentic period look for our productions.
It is a fascinating read. The text is lucid and informative and the pictures are lovely. Great stuff!
on 19 November 2000
I'm restoring my 1930s semi, and this book is perfect for what I need. Lots of colour pics, all of them new. Unlike the other books I've got which show the famous 'Deco' interiors, this book illustrates what was actually going on in real people's homes.
Lots of pics. of furniture, appliances and carpets, lino etc. Bakelite radios, boxy sofa's, sun-ray windows, it is all in here. I've read the author's other book - Art Deco Ceramics - and this is even better.
Only wish that all c.100of the pics were colour, but as lots of them are original 1930s photos, I suppose I can't complain.
on 11 August 2003
The 1930s Home' is a fascinating read, even if you've studied the history of domestic design. It's clearly illustrated and makes a superb reference tool on the era. It's a very slim book, but certainly one of my favourites.
VINE VOICEon 14 March 2007
This is small but lovely book - A5 size and only 40 pages but filled with great pictures (colour and black/white)and lots of information. I live in a 1930s property and bought the book to see what it might have looked like on the inside years ago, and I wasn't disappointed. The photos are of normal, everyday british homes, not posh or show homes of the day. The contents include architectural styles, furnishings, technology in the home and also the garden. Those wishing to recreate their home to the 1930s era would definitely find this book useful. Its worth the price in my opinion and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that I think the book should have been longer.
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2009
This short book provides a good overview to life in the 30's home. There are plenty of pictures to give you a rough idea of what the typical 1930's home might look like. Just as fascinating is the commentary on how and why society was changing at the time and therefore demanding different things from a home. I also liked the photos of 1930's homes which had been completely ruined by replacement windows!!! A reminder of how NOT to do it.

If you're looking for inspirational interior design ideas this book probably doesn't cut it and I'm sure there are others that would fit the bill better. However, if you've just moved into a 30's home I think you'll enjoy this book, which is short but sweet (I read it cover to cover in less than 30 minutes) and it'll start you thinking about areas in which you might want to read more about.
on 25 November 2000
An indispensible little book, essential reading for anyone interested in the real 1930's home interiors.Informative right down to the finest detail, I can even choose the lino pattern correctly from the original interior pictures, they are so clear. An absolute giveaway at the price. By the way, your Art Deco Ceramics book saved me pounds. Keep them coming Greg.
on 27 November 2000
I am currently researching the Art Deco period for a future exhibition at work and have found this booklet extremely useful. It has given me the areas in which I need to research into and has saved me alot of time in researching for this information. What a relief that there is a concise booklet for me to keep referring to!!
on 25 November 2000
This new book has everything in it that I find of great interest. Brillaint period images and well researched text. What more could a fan of the period want. Its very affordable and excellent to give to a friend. Well done.
on 26 May 2012
I am buying a 1935 built bungalow and this little book has helped enormously in my quest to try to have furniture/furnishings in keeping with the original building. I just wish I could still buy a roomful of 1930s furniture for about 22/- a week in less than a year. However found the book fascinating and interesting reading. It is unusual to find such an informative little book without a huge price tag. I carry it around when looking at 'stuff' for my new (old) bungalow. Why were homes so small yet have such long gardens? My new one is a 1 bed bungalow, a shower room because the bathroom is too small for a traditional bath and yet the garden is 90ft long but I love it, husband wants to go all 1930s and use the bottom of the garden for his own little allotment. Thanks again for a great little book
on 5 January 2011
I received the 2010 edition, not the 2007 edition advertised. I don't know if they are different. It has an inviting look that makes you want to read it straight away. It is a small book - 40 pages - but it's packed with photographs, illustrations and information and lives up to that first impression. A good price and excellent value.