5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended - but not for everyone
I bought this the other day as I realised, like the author states in her intro, that I am too attached to recipe books. I was hoping that this would inspire me to try new combinations and start a bit more experimentation. And it has. However, before buying its really important to know what this book is and more importantly what it is not.

What this book is...
Published on 1 Jun. 2011 by Syriat

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book
But it gives you no indication of how you would pair flavours, I thought it would be like a clour wheel where opposite colours pair but not so, it seems that similar flavours in the wheel are matched. I did think that the way flavours roll from one to the next with very different products in places but you could see the logic behind it. The only one I tried was broccolli...
Published 22 months ago by Kevin J. Sharpe

‹ Previous | 118 19 2028 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Just gives you the know how to make a difference to standard meals without costing a fortune. Very pleased thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Flavour Thesaurus, 16 July 2013
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Good book for deciding what spice goes with others when creating a new recipe and not using one from a cookery book

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing and well, obvious..., 1 April 2011
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
I was looking forward to this book seeing as it has had so many glowing reviews but to any kind of keen cook with a few cookery books and the odd tv series under their belt this book is simply chock full of the patently obvious - chicken & thyme or sage... well I never!

Yes, It's well written but to me it comes across like the author simply took the main 2 ingredients from a range of the nations, supermarkets and takeaways favourite recipes and popped them in a book - Pork and Ginger, wow! I better see if my local chinese has heard about this pairing!

Perhaps I was expecting too much and bought into the carefully worded hype but for me it did little other than remind me of one or two things I haven't had for a while plus other pairings that have been done to death on come dine with me and so on...

Anyways... Well written but very 'obvious'.

It may be unique by virtue of being the only book of its type but, it is sadly not a compendium of unique flavour combinations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - gorgeous book, 2 May 2011
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
I love this book, and have bought it for others. It is beautifully presented and not too wordy - a foodie must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Everything I hoped for and a really interesting read. I. would recommend it for anyone who cooks at any level

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok as a coffee table book, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
I wanted to love this book. Really, I did. But it is an utter disappointment. If you want a book for your coffee table of loo, then this is the book for you. It looks good and it has plenty of anecdotes that may entertain you. What it doesn't have is much useful information regarding what it purports to be about: flavor pairings. Here is a sample taken directly from the book:

"Hazelnut & Caviar: Could hazelnut be the finest flavour in the world? It is detectable in aged white burgundies, champagne, oysters, jabugo ham, Sauternes, Beaufort and Comte cheese, French farmhouse butter, lamb's lettuce, toasted sesame seeds, wild rice, many of the most revered potato cultivars and Oscietra caviar."

That's it. Nothing more. This sample isn't the exception, but rather the norm.

This book is useless in the kitchen. And to be honest, there is a little bit of me that is absolutely offended by how useless this book is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab gift, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Bought for my Mum for Christmas and she's really pleased with it. Made a change from the usual recipe books!

4.0 out of 5 stars great present, 28 Dec. 2012
Rachel Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
This book is great for working out new and exciting flavours to create in the kitchen. Would recommend it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have flavours reference book, 5 April 2015
J. Elliott (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flavour Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Bought as a gift for an up-coming chef. Good book, well used for referencing ideas. Good varied content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
Really handy this, came up with quite a few recipes just testing things I wouldn't normally put together.

‹ Previous | 118 19 2028 | Next ›

The Flavour Thesaurus
The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit (Hardcover - 21 Jun. 2010)