5.0 out of 5 stars Read this brilliant book!
The synopsis makes this book sound like a very ordinary romantic story, but it's much better than that. It's funny, clever and insightful, and there are lines in it that I still remember. The heroine's favourite novel is Emma, and she is a bit in love with Mr Knightley (who she sees as always appearing in doors, knocking mud off his boots ...). If you like witty...
Published on 30 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beach read
Enjoyable read - well-written, with a charming story - if a little disappointingly predictable at times. A good book for the beach.
Published 11 months ago by hayleylou

5.0 out of 5 stars A cold day, a hot drink, a duvet and this book - perfection., 15 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Just like the heroine Catherine has her favourite book (Emma), to which she turns in times of trouble, I have Brother of the More Famous Jack.
Read her later books to rediscover some of the characters in older manifestations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, engaging - real characters that live, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: Brother of the More Famous Jack (Paperback)
I first read this book about 15 years ago. It has to be one of my favourite books of all time. The characters, Catherine, Roger, Jonathon, Jacob and Jane are real people to me - and when I re-read the book, I'm sad all over again when it ends. Maybe because I was a slightly 'blue stocking' teenager, and wanted to go to Oxford to read English, and maybe because I wanted to meet a family like Jane and Jacob, they stayed really alive for me.

It's a slight book - too short really - but the characters and story sweep us through about 10 years, and personal ups and downs of the heroine Katherine. She starts out as a teenager, and ends 10 years later as - well that would give the story away, wouldn't it.

The characters are well-drawn, humourous and warm. It's a funny book, but sad too. I'm amazed, reading other's reviews, that so many people really don't like it. Anyway, I would give it six stars if I could. Highly reccomended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Brother of the More Famous Jack (Paperback)
This book hasn't stood the test of time. Characters in it are two-dimensional stereotypes. I found it an excruciating read. Instead of taking it to the charity shop when I'd finished it, I put it in the recycling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beach read, 4 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Years on, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Brother of the More Famous Jack (Paperback)
Having read the sequel ages ago, I am revisiting old favourites and have just rediscovered the delights of early Trapido.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but dated, 23 Sep 2013
A. Young (London) - See all my reviews
A nostalgic read, very much of its time and whilst I enjoyed it for the most part, it felt dated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 3 Sep 2013
Trapido is a clever and amusing writer. Each of her books cannot fail to please. I have read everything she has written for my own pleasure or within a book club. Everyone enjoys her writing and her stories have a depth and structure with engaging characters which hold the reader beyond the book club glass of fizz..
Read them all. That's my advice!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hum, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Brother of the More Famous Jack (Paperback)
This book took me ages to get into. I found it very unremarkable and wouldn't bother to read any other of Trapido's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another most enjoyable read!, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Brother of the More Famous Jack (Paperback)
Everything about this book was good. The warm-hearted, teasing, well-educated fabulous Goldman family. I loved them all. Trapido has such a wide inventive range and I can't get enough of her writing. At the outset a question mark hung over the title and kept me guessing: who was Jack?; I think I've solved it but I'm not telling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother of the Morfe Famous Jak, 23 July 2010
Excellent book, one that can be read over & over, would like to
have a follow up from where it finishes to present day.

Brother of the More Famous Jack
Brother of the More Famous Jack by Barbara Trapido (Paperback - 2 Mar 2009)