5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant picture of a time and a place
I'm a little late to the "America, America" review section because I only recently was told how good the book is and how much I'd enjoy it. It IS good and I DID enjoy it! I'd read Ethan Canin's "Palace Thief" when it was published a few years ago and thought Canin had a great writer's voice.

This comes out fully in "America, America", the story of two men,...
Published on 1 April 2010 by Jill Meyer

1.0 out of 5 stars America America's a mess.
Not a book I have enjoyed reading, in fact I still haven't finished it, I am just about to give up on it but keep hoping I will get into it.Some section are worth reading the rest I flip over, so not one I could recommend.
Published on 9 Feb 2010 by Mrs. J. Lenz

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant picture of a time and a place, 1 April 2010
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: America America (Paperback)

This comes out fully in "America, America", the story of two men, Corey Sifter and Liam Metarey, who are bound together by history and personality. Sifter, who narrates the story, flips back and forth in both time and relationship, from the early 1970's to 2008. He is the son of working class people whose talents and intelligence is recognised by Liam Metarey, the scion of a wealthy liberal family in upstate New York. Metarey mentors Corey, arranges for his education at a boarding school and then at Haverford College. At the same time, Corey works around the Metarey estate and becoming involved in the presidential campaign of a Teddy Kennedy/George McGovern-like Democrat in 1971 and 1972. Henry Bonwiller, the candidate, is involved in some shady deals and possibly in the death of a young woman ala Teddy Kennedy's Chappaquidick-like accident.

Sifter grows up and becomes a journalist on an upstate-New York newspaper and in turn mentors another young person.Part of the story is his relating to Trieste the story of the decline of the Metarey empire along with the political ambitions of Henry Bonwiller.

Canin is a spot-on writer of dialogue and character development. All his characters - both major and minor - are beautifully drawn. If you, like me, missed "America, America" when it was originally issued, it's well worth seeking out and reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing, eventually, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: America America (Paperback)
It took two attempts to get into this book properly but I'm glad I did in the end. It's not spectacular but far preferable to a lot of the fiction I've read recently. The characters are well drawn, the prose is nice without being too showy, and the story, while not what you would call conventionally gripping, is good enough to hold you right till the end. It's an interesting look at the privilege of American politics for those involved at the highest level. A fine book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic novel!, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: America America (Paperback)
Enjoyed every page, and have since bought it many of my friends! This is in the same league as John Irving. A great epic novel, and I was sad to finish it, as the characters were so well developed that they felt like family to me. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 31 Oct 2009
This review is from: America America (Paperback)
I cannot recall why I purchased this book but was I lucky! This is one of the best reads of this year, nee this decade. The prose, the storyline, the characters the reflections all add up to a magnificent novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than it looks., 13 July 2014
This review is from: America America (Paperback)
A book I found on my bookshelf by accident. I would never have bought this book and have no idea who gave it me, but thought I would give it a go, if merely to then be able to get rid of it and free up some space. Having finished it, I'm now looking at other books he's written. With out writing a huge review, what I would say is that Cohen has a real storyteller's skill. Few have it and I don't use the compliment likely. I've finished Game of thrones' which has obviously received huge plaudits and Mr Martin doesn't have that skill. It's the ability to make your reader truly in touch with the period, time, people and events being described. The actual plot is no great shakes, but you care about it and the people. It leaves you with a warm glow.

He should receive more recognition than he does, but that's life I guess give it a try.

1.0 out of 5 stars America America's a mess., 9 Feb 2010
Mrs. J. Lenz "Avid Bookworm" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews

America America
America America by Ethan Canin (Paperback - 1 Jun 2009)