5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous
A fabulous, fabulous cookbook.

I have all the River Cottage books and love them all but this is my favourite. I have cooked more recipes from this book in the couple of weeks I've had it than from any other cookbook I own (and I own a lot).

Published on 9 Oct 2009 by Getoka

3.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate recipes
Published on 19 Dec 2010 by L. C. Gatenby

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
A fabulous, fabulous cookbook.

Plenty of lovely photographs enhanced by the wonderful doodles of Mariko Jesse, lots of recipes, clear instructions, useful suggestions for serving and varying the recipes, advice on storecupboard ingredients and excellent writing make this book a winner.

This is food for every meal and for every day with chapters on breakfast, lunch boxes, bread, meat, fish, veg, fruit and treats. Hugh recommends British grown and produced food wherever possible, sustainable fish and thrifty cuts of meat. I am finding that I don't need to rely on France and Italy for my cheese, oil or vinegar and I certainly don't need to look outside the UK or even my county for fruit and veg, except maybe for a lemon.

So far I have made the drop scones (for breakfast today), flatbreads, pizza, the tomato, chipolata and potato lunch box with mustardy vinaigrette, leftover stew pasties, parsley and pumpkin seed pesto, parsley, walnut and blue cheese pesto, two-root slaw, roast fish fillets with roast potatoes, pea purée, tupperware Mexican chorizo, sticky glazed spare ribs, quince and bramley apple sorbet, chunky fig, date and prune cake, ten minute chocolate chip cookies, lemon sponge pudding and sour dough bread. Every single recipe has been wonderful and the sour dough has changed my life.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant down-to-earth daily inspiration, 5 Oct 2009
S. Harrowes (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
Like the previous reviewer, I also own a good number of Mr F-W books and love the exposition about all things close to his stomach. However they can be a challenge if you're looking for a bit of quick inspiration or wanting to find a quick trick with the contents of your fridge - more labour of love than labour-saving (first fatten your pig...).

But this is a different kind of book. River Cottage Everyday is quite simply one of the more lovely and useful cookery books that I've been given in a while. It looks gorgeous - elegant layout, witty sketches and scribbles leaping from the pages alongside a photograph on every spread. And the recipes have had me slavering, or was it possibly even slobbering, as I've leafed through. The Lunch(box) section is great - beef with mustardy lentils and mint, pasties and frittata alongside three different 'slaws'. My kids are determined that we must create some of the fresh smoothies and the fishy section with quick fish soups, Thai fish curry and smoked fish and spinach omlette looks easy and yum. Oh and there's a whole section of imaginative (and potentially store cupboard friendly) salads.

I'm really chuffed with this book; whilst it is clearly for people who love food, it's been put together with such obvious enthusiasm that I reckon it's going to be an entertaining and easy ride from fridge to table. Definitely a book to keep by my side this autumn/winter and a cracking alternative to best-beloved tomes like Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries or my other firm favourite, Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real family gem, without any preaching., 4 Oct 2009
A. Mulgrove "Lex" (London Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
As a huge fan of the River Cottage series I was straight on to buying this book to add to the collection (I own every other one) and I was genuinely suprised by really how good this is. I find some of Hugh's other books can be a little preaching, which is fine with me because I agree with what he says but I can see how this makes the series daunting to others. Not so with this book. It is a plain and fairly simple recipe book encouraging families to have a go at eating homemade food. The instructions are fairly easy to follow and almost all of the recipes have a really good sized colour photo. Hugh tackles every meal, snacks, baking and recipies that can be cooked by all the family. There is a wide variety of recipies from the classics to more inventive dishes but there will be something for everyone. The only reason i only give the book 4 stars is I feel that a total novice cook wouldn't find the book as useable but for most people who can crack an egg this is a great start if you want to start cooking and stop relying on ready meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a decent cook book!, 9 Oct 2009
A. Redden - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
Over the years I bought enough Cook books to wallpaper my entire house at least twice with their pages. Most of them feature recipes with tons of ingredients you either never heard of, are not freely available and blow your budget. Most celeb chefs don't seem to realise that while you cook dinner, you supervise childrens homework, break up arguements and stop the dog from raiding the bin ect. This is my first River Cottage recipe book, but definately not the last. We've tried a fair few recipes already and they were all lovely, easy to follow. Most recipes are more then suitable to cook during the week and won't blow you budget. I can confidently recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great FW book, 17 Oct 2009
J. Bennett (SE, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
As always FW has some great recipes with the twist this time being that they are generally simple and quick to make. I particularly enjoyed the lunch-box section to get a fresh set of ideas of how to turn left overs into lunch for work next day. The biggest disappoint was that this was released at roughly the same time as Nigel Slater's Tender and only a couple of months after Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey which means I just have far to much choice!

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for my partner as he loves to cook., 17 Jan 2010
T. Mckie "Tracy Mckie" (SW Scotland Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my partner as he loves to cook and is pretty good at it too. He does everything from homemade custard from scratch,to pasties/banana loaf and fab spring rolls as well as loads of other things inbetween.So I thought he would like this as we watch River Cottage on tv and often comment on the recipes. First of all, although I feel HFW is truly trying to give us a good fundamental insight into the whys and why nots on everything in the book,for me,I felt it lacked a good few recipes especially on the meat section....I work alongside a butchers counter in a giant supermarket and take home enough different types of fresh meat to feed a small army so I relished the thought of loads of recipes for myself/partner to try as a variation on a theme to what we normally cook. Not so..There were not very many meat recipes in this book which was a little disappointing but there were a lot of good recipes to try even if you have never made them before.

I personally read through the very interesting section of bread and how to make it the overnight way or the quick way. I opted for the quick way as a first attempt to see what it turned out like!! Ureka! I made my very own loaf of bread in around 15mins of my actual intervention,from scratch with no bread maker/food mixer in sight..It takes around 10mins of kneading by hand, but it was lovely and I for one was well chuffed at how it turned out and will be making more and more over the next few weeks.I am however going to invest in a food mixer with dough hook as this does it in 5 mins lol....I never would of attempted it had it not been for this book so thank you HFW for getting me on the road to home bread making...I have just ordered the RC Meat book so look forward to reading that and whipping up a few meaty treats.If you are passionate about food/cooking and want to learn/understand more about food & develop new cookery skills, then this is the book for you. If you are looking for a quick recipe and a change,then any normal quick cook book would do the job. This book explains the whole process and how things work to perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Fresh, 25 April 2011
`River Cottage Everyday' brings recipes that are a bit different than the normal ordinary everyday cookbook; although these could be served day after day and also for some special occasions too.

There are some excellent descriptions in the differences between cooking oils and flours. There are many pictures of the recipes and ones illustrating Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's narrations of his cooking experiences. Entertaining line drawings are added into many of the pages.

He introduces each section, which include recipes for; making breakfast, bread, lunch boxes, fish, thrifty meat, vegetables, which includes soups, fruit and treats. These are recipes that are a bit geared to European tastes and cooking rather than the heavy American comfort food. They are healthy and make use of fresh ingredients and provide some great alternatives for ordinary cooking. Hopefully you would have a taste for thyme, since many of the recipes seem to lean heavily on this seasoning.
There are many delicious smoothie recipes and some interesting healthy alternatives for lunch. Surprising hits with our family have been; kippers with smashed new potatoes, scotch broth salad, slow roast beef brisket with potatoes and onions, salad of baby peas ricotta and green onions, green beans with tomatoes, stuffed butternut squash and especially his version of Eton mess with raspberries. That will give you an idea of some of the types of food that you can find in this book

The recipes are clearly written and printed out, with enough white space around them, that even when a page has 3 on it, one can read and interpret what you should be doing very easily. This would provide an interesting addition to many cookbook collections.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate recipes, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
After watching the tv series I was eager to purchase this book and get cracking at the recipes. I made the marbled lemon curd muffins and they were a disaster! Heavy and soggy. Not one for having many failures I decided to watch the episode ( which I had previously recorded )again. How different from the recipe in the book. Egg quantity was different. Also lemon curd was added to the mixture in the book recipe but put in the middle of the muffin on tv. Please get it right Hugh! This is the second time that I have wasted money on ingredients because weights and cooking temperatures were different in the books to what Hugh said in the tv series.

5.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Rules!, 1 Nov 2009
Cookey (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
I have only made one recipe from the 'River Cottage everyday' recipe book so far, but I have to say it was worth the price of the book for this recipe alone! I'm talking Carrot cake (page 376). It is without doubt the most lightest, tastiest carrot cake I have ever had the pleasure of eating! Very easy to make I would highly recommend making this cake a.s.a.p, you will not be disappointed. Having browsed through the rest of the book there are many recipes I am looking forward to making. There are plenty of photographs of the finished dishes which will have you salivating. Cooking seasonal and locally sourced food is something Hugh F.W encourages which I think is to be commended. The whole ethos of 'organic' cooking is something me and my wife are trying to implement into our everyday home cooking and this book will help you on your way to a more contented life. Happy Cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars You really will use it everyday, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: River Cottage Every Day (Hardcover)
At first glance you won't feel compelled to cook anything from this book - it seems ordinary yet everything you make from it will be delicious and somehow whilst you think you don't need a recipe for fish in a bun you'll follow it and it will be nicer than the one you usually make. Once you make this discovery you will use the book all the time. I lent it to my sister for a week and went to use it so much that I had to buy her her own version. How many otehr cookery books do you have that you can't live without for a week?

River Cottage Every Day
River Cottage Every Day by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - 5 Oct 2009)
12.50