5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality and value compared to the Adult Edition
Published on 17 Feb. 2009 by Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but some caveats
I think most people considering purchasing this set have previously read some or all of the Harry Potter books. So we all like Harry. The question is do we like this set.

Published on 29 Jan. 2010 by K. McConville

5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality and value compared to the Adult Edition, 17 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set (Paperback)
I spent a long time deciding which version of the paperback books to buy (the adult or children editions). Although the front cover art-work on the adult editions is more attractive (to me, as an adult), the print is terrible in comparison (tiny, blocky font on cheaper/rougher paper), and sadly makes the books feel very cheap. I went for the children's edition, and have not regretted it! The books in this edition are set on good quality paper, with a easy-on-the-eye font, and come in a sturdy flip-top cardboard case. Look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful!, 9 Oct. 2014
I've been waiting a long time to buy a hardback collection of Harry Potter, but none of the other editions seemed worth the money.

This one is definitely worth it! The box itself is well made and sturdy and has the gorgeous gold designs on it. The new covers are also stunning, with the titles picked out in gold stars. The best thing is the inclusion of a map of the hogwarts grounds and the contents pages.

This is definitely a box set that any fan of Harry Potter would want to own!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ever Set, 9 Oct. 2014
This is the best set of Harry Potter books ever this set is worth the wait and money. The updated covers and inside is great they are just as good as the USA set.
The covers are brighter and design is the best ones plus the up dated inside pages are great by far my favorite set of them all.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but some caveats, 29 Jan. 2010
K. McConville (Trevor, WI) - See all my reviews

I read all the reviews here before I purchased. The comments about the quality of the paper, the binding, the small margins and font, the inconsistencies of the spines and the damage to the slipcase from shipping are all true.

That said, the set is fine.

This is not a set of a special edition or printing. These are the same editions that were recently sold separately to the mass market. The publisher has wrapped them in a slipcase and is selling them as a boxed set. Which is fine.

I would have been happy to pay extra for a boxed set with acid free paper, cloth bindings, etc. but it doesn't exist.

I would recommend purchasing the Bloomsbury Children Edition Boxed Set over this one. The paper and the bindings are the same but the margins and font are larger and there are illustrations (always a nice touch).

While I read and enjoyed the Scholastic editions, I would not recommend them. I was upset to find out they changed the author's language for the U.S. audience. Bad form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set of all 7 for the true fan, 26 Mar. 2010
I am thrilled with this set. As an American reading the books available here, I did not realize until recently that the books had been 'americanized'. I am a big fan, and I really wanted to read the original version that JK Rowling wrote. I ordered this set very easily, Amazon converts the dollar amount for you, and shipping took about 2 weeks, which I considered very good for overseas shipping. Shipping was not expensive either, not much more than if I had ordered books in the States. I am on the 5th book now, and have been very pleased with reading the changes(I have read the 'american' versions over 30 times, so I know them very well) and once again enjoying the wizarding world. These are the adult version, no illustrations, and the books are smaller than the regular versions, with as many words as possible on each page. I would rate the actual physical books as average, they are hardcover, with just standard paper, they seem fine, but not super sturdy for much rough handling. However, as I am not letting any children get a hold of this special set, I don't see that being a problem. One caveat, that is not Amazon's fault, when I received the books, US Customs had opened both the box and the sleeve holding the books together. They busted up the outer sleeve, so if you want this set as a gift, you may want to keep that in mind that Customs may wreck it if sent overseas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable and rewarding reading experience!, 22 July 2014
I never saw the Harry Potter films as they were released between 2001 and 2010, although I was aware of them. I had no interest in reading the novels, I thought they were childrens' books and would never appeal to me. It wasn't until sometime in the last year or so that I started to become curious, mostly as a result of the many Potter references and parodies on TV shows, especially in comedy, as well as Daniel Radcliffe's regular appearances on the Graham Norton Show - a sincere and likeable lad. Harry Potter had become a cutural thing, and I was utterly clueless as to who "Hermione" was or what a "Dumbledore" is. I didn't have a morbid fascination, I just wanted to watch the films to learn these things and be done.

At the beginning of this year (2014), I bought the DVD boxset and watched the films over a week. I wasn't hugely impressed because I felt there were too many threads to follow, which the films didn't seem to relay clearly. A few months later I started to give them a second run-through, picking up more details that I had missed first time round. After rewatching the first two films I decided to upgrade to the Blu-Ray boxset, which includes all the deleted scenes, in order to learn some of the minor details omitted from the theater releases. As a result, I began to ask questions which still loomed in my mind: what about this, how did such a thing happen, who was he? The answers, I realised, could only be gotten from digesting the novels. I didn't find the films as childish as I had expected them to be, in fact I was quite impressed with how they matured, grew darker and more threatening, and never patronised the audience. I hoped the books might be similar if I was going to take the risk of buying the full set instead of just the first as a taster.

And so I embarked on the 7-part journey and delved straight into J.K. Rowling's world of fantasy, magic and mystery. I completed the first three novels in a very short time, hooked from the start, and at first they reminded me, perhaps, of the great Roald Dahl books in the way they were written: mature, witty, with suspense and colourful characters. From there, the fourth book was a bit lackluster, as was the fourth film, although still well written the pace seems to slow down and there wasn't as much action as the other six offer, but it did take a step up from the boyhood years into more somber teenage territory, with bigger threats and challenges. The last three books are a rollercoaster of thrills and spills, with very complex character interaction, lots of twists and complex backgrounds to keep track of, all of which Rowling presents, maintains and concludes neatly. The fate of all the minor characters aren't disclosed, but it is enough to say that the novels answered all of the questions the films failed to cover and, because the books have other sub-plots which could not be included in the films due to the usual budget and time constraints, also present a great deal more original material to make reading them a different experience from watching the films, even though the outcome is the same the journey feels different, more involved, and generally takes a different tone and pace making it enjoyable to follow them from a different perspective.

I would have been 17 when "The Philosopher's Stone" was first published, half the age I am now. Do I regret waiting so long to catch-up on seeing and reading this remarkable series? Not really, no... but I do feel glad that I did take the time, these past few months, to fully enjoy it. I prefer completing such sets back-to-back over a short time rather than waiting years for sequels to come out in the bookshop or on film, anticipation has never been my strong point. What Rowling has written is certainly worth reading, regardless of whether you're a child, teen, young adult or fully grown individual with an open mind. I would say 12+ is a good starting age, although the last few titles might require a higher reading level, perhaps 15+ given their size and content. Rowling's style of writing is never patronising or pretentious, she goes into enough detail without becoming verbose, her pace is good although it differs per novel because they are part of a progressive series set over a seven year period.

If, like me, you've seen the films and are eager to know and understand more, I highly recommend you pick up the complete collection and settle down to a few weeks of compelling and revealing novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful set of hardbacks!, 26 July 2011
I'm so glad I found a review on the Amazon US site that directed me to come to the Amazon UK website to purchase my UK edition of the Harry Potter series. It was so much cheaper to purchase my books here than to order them from the US website! Also, shipping was less than $7.00 US (amazing!), and the books arrived within 2-3 weeks in excellent condition. I'm glad to have both the US and UK editions of all of the Harry Potter books. I am curious to compare the two editions, and to read the UK slang. I have read my US editions about 5 times through now (some of my hardbacks are actually falling apart from use), and am starting on my first run with the UK edition. JK Rowling is an amazing author, and I never cease to notice more intricate details in the stories each time I read them. She definitely earned every penny she has made from this wonderful epic! Many thanks to Amazon UK for my fantastic UK edition of Harry Potter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set, worth every UK pound., 21 April 2009
This review is from: Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set (Paperback)
I just got it, took 2 weeks but after all I live in Israel so, that's pretty fast for non-express deliver.

I am very perfectionist when it comes to books, and the 2 importent things that I wanted to get from this set was:
1) that books will be in a mint/near-mint condition.
2) That the books are, in fact, the real british version.

This set answers all the above, Not only that each book is in mint/near-mint condition, but the box set is big, strong, and looks really beautiful.

Worth each and every UK pound I paid for it.
Thank you amazon.uk, you are the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars All-time Favourite Story but Disappointment in Shipping Packaging, 9 Jan. 2011
I wanted to give this 5 stars however my boxed set arrived with the corners of the box dented and the bottom edge of the box tearing. The last book was also not spare with a slight dent on the bottom corner edge. Probably the hardcover books are too heavy and the box was unable to take the weight of the books.

Nevertheless, I love the covers for the Children's edition. Bright and colourful. I have read all 7 books and just wanted to get a complete set to keep. Harry Potter is still one of my favourite books.

Despite the damage mentioned, I wouldn't be returning because I lived overseas and returning the set will be quite a hefty shipping cost for me.

For people who want to get a pristine set, you might want to consider getting from the stores where you can at least check the packaging before purchasing. For me, I am still satisfied because I saved close to 40% by purchasing from Amazon :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Visually Stunning Set, 1 Feb. 2014
I've loved the Harry Potter series of books for a while, but have not owned the set myself. I was debating getting them on my kindle for ease of use, and then I found this UK set. The colors are vibrant and the illustrations on the box and covers are spectacular. It surpasses anything that was available in the US. The construction of the books seems just as if not more sturdy than the average paperback. I look forward to reading through these again with my son in the years to come and giving him the opportunity to enjoy them himself.

Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set
Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set by J. K. Rowling (Paperback - 6 Oct. 2008)
Used & New from: £58.99