5.0 out of 5 stars Bread like your Gran used to make.
What a glorious book. I started to make my own bread a little over 8 months ago and had a reasonable level of success, but was always disappointed by the lost loaves that didn't quite work out. This book put an end to these problems and I can honestly say I've not had a bad loaf since.

The basic bread recipe is explained in great detail with information as to...
Published on 12 May 2009 by D. Armson

3.0 out of 5 stars A good confidence builder, but with reservations
Published on 24 Jun. 2012 by Anonscot

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread like your Gran used to make., 12 May 2009
D. Armson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)

The basic bread recipe is explained in great detail with information as to why you're doing each stage, and what is going on with the dough at each stage. This takes the mystery out of your loaf and helps you to understand if anything is going wrong, giving you a chance to correct it before its to late. One you've followed this through a couple of times then the basic recipe is given in a short version, much more like a normal recipe, making it easy to follow.

After the basics have been learnt then the skies the limit. There are plenty of other recipes to have a go at (not to mention the gorgeous focaccia bread) and a rather useful section on what to make with your bread that is a little past its best. There is even a section on how to make your own outdoor bread oven that has got me dreaming of outdoor feasts over the summer.

A simple to follow must have guide without the waffle about the "terrible state of the modern bread industry" that is often present in other books. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed but enjoyable, 8 July 2009
Pardo (Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
This is the best book on bread I have ever come across. My bread making as improved out of sight since reading it. At a first glance this book, like the others I've seen in this series, looks too pretty to be much good. But like all the others in the series it manages to have a huge amount of substance to back up its beauty. The first 50 odd pages go through the process of bread making and the techniques involved step by step and in real detail but without being dull or pedantic. They are worth the price twice over as reading these is what has made such a massive difference to my bread - the rest is a very nice bonus. Thanks for writing such a great book. One of the highlights of what is a very, very good series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - My bread has improved massively, 13 April 2009
S. Girvan (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
This book is simply brilliant. The 'basic' bread recipe takes 54 pages (yes, 54!) because goes through each stage in detail, explaining why each step is important. This section alone is worth the purchase price because it contains all the basic skills you need. I thought I made pretty good bread already, but since I got this book and read through this section, my bread has got 100 times better.

He covers aspects most others don't such as how to shape the loaves and the basic ratios that almost all bread recipes are based on and has the customary (and well deserved) attack on the Chorleywood process that has all but killed 'real' bread for most people.

Dan's writing conveys his enthusiasm really well and makes you want to get stuck in straight away. He also covers the more specialist breads well (such as bagels, ciabatta) and yeast free breads (like soda bread).

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 31 July 2009
L. Officer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
I am so pleased that I bought this book! I bought it on a bit of a whim and slightly regretted it the next day however as soon as the book arrived I was totally smitten with it.

I've been making bread for about 4 years and I thought my loaves were good, definitely better than from the shops, but I feel a bit ashamed now! I sat down and did as advised, to read through the instructions first (against my natural instinct to dive straight in), even though the process is quite simple it really opened my eyes to all the small things I could do differently.

I really couldn't recommend this book highly enough. It looks lovely and is much more than a recipe book, it's an inspiration to try a bit harder! My partner also makes bread but is refusing to read the book as he thinks he has better things to do, so I'm trying to wear him down with "it says in my book you should....."! He'll have to give in eventually as my bread is so much better than his!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Bread Making Book Ever!, 23 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
As an avid fan of anything HFW does I actually veered away from this series of books, as I have the early River Cottage books and had feared for the ineveitable over-kill such an industrious output usually engenders.

However, I found Daniel Stevens book on bread making to be so accessible it was untrue. I also have several other bread books by leading lights in the new bread making canon but they cannot touch this book for ease, simplicity, common sense, and a refreshing lack of 'up-there-own-backside' attitude.

Put another way, Andrew Whitely's book on bread is a polemical and fascinating read, and an essential for serious bakers. But it just isn't an easy book, and the directions for bread making are lost amongst the artisan politics of the author. For instance he goes into great length on the ins and outs of various dough making techniques (such as the overnight sponge, poolish, sourdough etc.) but fails to direct the reader adequately on how to achieve these things. One of the first things I found in Bread: River Cottage Handbook No.3 was a simple recipe for an overnight sponge - weights and measures, technique, everything.

One of things pointed out in other reviews has been the extended sequence on a basic bread dough recipe. For me this works as it is amply demonstrated in pictures and directions and gives the reader a crash course in creating a dough, kneading, shaping, and baking. Just brilliant, simple, and informative. Stevens then goes into page-by-page detail on all manner of bread recipes - focaccia, flat bread, spelt loaf, brioche - in the same simple but informative style. You literally could buy this book, get it home and have a loaf by tea-time. The book also seems to cover the same areas of other weightier tomes but with a lightness that doesn't bash you round the head. Simply put this book gives you the bones of what you need to get going in bread making, but has the weight of information to lead you to the more hardcore bakers if you're interested enough.

The final chapter on building a clay oven is outstanding. It helps seal the deal on what is a thoroughly readble and enjoyable book, and because of it's simplicity and no-nonsense approach the book enthuses the reader in a way that other food polemics often fail to do.

Like other River Cottage titles (Meat for instance) this book should be the starting point for anybody interested in taking an interest in their food that step further. It will embolden and enliven you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect first bread making book, 24 Jan. 2011
John (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
Not often I write a review, but this book has inspired me. Have only recently got into bread making. Have only had 3 attempts so far. First loaf, a Delia recipe of the net. Turned out not bad, a bit dark round the edges, a bit dense, tasted ok. 2nd attempt, a recipe from Elizabeth Davids English Bread book, recommended by many, but totally unreadable and un-user friendly. Loaf came out a bit of a weird brown/grey colour and was a weird texture. Tasted quite good, almost sourdough like, but too salty for my tastes

And then I bought the River Cottage book. Straight away I was really impressed by the no nonsense writing, clear instructions and great photos. Thought I'd try a simple white load based on the basic loaf recipe. And it turned out perfectly, I seriously cannot think of any way it could have been better. The sort of bread you see in specialist shops that I'd happily pay good money for. A crisp but chewy crust, springy but soft crumb, amazing smell and loads of flavour. Seriously impressed, and I'd recommend this book 100% even if it was this result alone. Wish I could post up a photo of it so you could see how great it turned out

The rest of the book also looks excellent, with recipes for the other breads I plan on making (brioche, bagels, sourdough) plus all sorts of other recipes (pizza, muffins, roti). There are other more involved bread books out there if you wanted to get into baking bread more seriously, but as a clear and effective first purchase, I don't think you could get better than this

5.0 out of 5 stars Foolproof, 26 July 2009
Popmeister (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
I started making my own bread about six months ago, inspired by the delicious rolls produced by a friend at a dinner party. Like most novice bakers, I struggled to produce bread of the standard that I wanted - misshapen loaves, inconsistent texture, yeasty taste. Then this book was recommended to me. It begins with a clear but immensely detailed step-by-step explanation of the basic technique, illustrated with some very useful photographs. It explains not just what to do but why you need to do it and what you should achieve with each step. Then there is a series of recipes for specific baked products, including a chapter on sourdough and some recipes for more ambitious items, like croissants. The muffin recipe is a real winner and I am itching to have a go at the pizza dough. My bread has improved beyond all recognition and I was ridiculously proud of the baguettes I produced last weekend. Only two problems - 1. The binding is very stiff so it is difficult to keep the book open while baking, without damaging the spine. 2. Good home-made bread is addictive - before you know it, you will find supermarket bread inedible. A really great book for beginners and for seasoned bakers.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good confidence builder, but with reservations, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
In 2010 when my wife and I restarted bread making after a long interval, we got this book to get us going. The choice was based on our enjoyment of previous River Cottage books (in particular the majestic "Meat"). As a way of easing us back into the routine of kneading, proving etc., it was invaluable, and gave us the confidence we needed to persevere with things. The basics, like generic quantities, temperatures, possible problems etc. are well set out. There are enough interesting bread recipes to get you started on sourdoughs, flatbreads, rolls and various other loaves.

There are some obvious problems. The actual amount of text in the book is limited by far too much space being devoted to extraneous photographs. The description of the construction of an oudoor oven (about 20 pages) is a waste of space and came as a very unpleasant surprise when the book arrived from Amazon: after all, we are buying a book on breadmaking, not bricklaying. There are also some recipes using bread (1 or 2 in rather a tenuous way) that I recognise from other River Cottage books. It is in fact not that great value for money and one has the impression of a book being filled out to get the "right" number of pages.

Another thing that has become apparent in the last 2 years is that some recipes are made to seem too complicated. Ciabatta is a prime example. We were put off doing this for a long time by the description. When we did try it (with simplifications), it was easy. There are other examples.

So the judgement after 2 years use is: to ease you in to bread making, a good place to start. People who, like us, stick with making their own bread, will find they want more than is here. Would probably have been 4 stars without the outdoor oven part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing first result. Very Impressed., 14 April 2010
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
Bread. I love it. It's hellishly hard to get right though, isn't it!?

For years I have been trying to make bread at home, without a bread-maker. I have about half-a-dozen books, I have been through kilos and kilos of flour, hours of kneading and endless kilowatts of electricity. I have laboured and toiled and I have *never* quite got it right. A decent soft white loaf, made from simple ingredients (flour, salt, yeast, water - perhaps some oil too) sounds easy, but success has alluded me. What started as a simple wish for a nice loaf, turned in to a quest to just get one loaf right once.

Thanks to this book, that happened today.

I read the book last night, just the first few pages on how to make a standard white loaf. This morning I got up and made some bread, following the instructions as closely as I could and the result has been fantastic. A soft white loaf with a perfect crust.

There is a lot more to this book than how to make a loaf of bread though. There's a section on why you don't need to ever throw bread out, to making a clay oven - as well as many many more recipes. The book itself is a small hard-backed A5 size volume and it written beautifully, with clear and concise yet un-patronising instructions and tips.

What can I say. It worked for me. I put some images up on the review so you can see my results for yourself. I am very pleased I bought this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter to motive you, 23 Jan. 2010
C. Connolly "cc" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 (Hardcover)
This book is great to teach you all you need to know for making bread. This is somewhat long-winded, but no doubt some will benefit from this. One criticism, it does lack in the number of bread recipes provided. But hen again, the ethos is 'go and make it up for yourselves. An excellent and inspiring book. I never made bread before I bought this book. I now make it every Sunday, slice it and freeze it for the week. I love to eat my bread dry with nothing else - I couldn't do that with commercial bread. Judge this book for yourselves, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'and I love it. I would not be where I am (bread-wise) without the inspiration from this book. My best book buy EVER.

Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3 by Daniel Stevens (Hardcover - 1 Jan. 2009)