Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 May 2009
A visit to the seaside will never be the same again after reading this brilliant book. I had always wondered what wild food could be collected down by the sea but had been too worried to try anything - and the things I knew you could eat I didn't know how to catch. This book explains it all in a clear and wickedly amusing way. About forty species are covered, from something called "sea beet", which is easy to find, through to lobster for which you will need to wade out with a pot at low tide. The big revelation for me is the seaweed section - these are the easiest of things to collect and, the book tells me, delicious if you know how to cook them. Which brings me to the recipes - the panacotta is delicious and I'm looking forward to trying all the others.

This book is beautifully produced and written. It is also lol funny and stuffed with really useful information.
on 19 June 2009
i bought this book as i was looking for some new meaningful activities
to do with my 10 year old daughter(a city kid) on weekends and on school holidays.
we have been very impressed with this book for its information on what types of plants, molluscs and crustaceans and seaweeds we can safely collect from the coast on our frequent beach trips(tricky when you dont have a car, but we manage anyway)
we have found the information on equipment very helpful(we are total beginners) and also the information on legislation and keeping yourself safe.
we have benefited most from the information on how to safely prepare and collect shellfish to avoid bugs and contamination(very important with a young child )
my daughter has discovered she has a taste for Alexanders, Rock Samphire, lobster and shrimp.she has not yet had the courage to try seaweed (i like carragheen) but so far she has done very well for a child who previously ate only fish fingers and fishcakes from the supermarket.
we hope more books are produced for this series, we would like to see books on both sea and fresh water fishing(my daughter is interested in catching squid, mackerel and eels) and also forging as a family activity for berries, nuts etc
we love these book, please keep up the good work river cottage.
on 15 May 2009
A small format book which is packed full of knowledge and should be kept in your pocket/car/beach bag for any visit to the beach & seashore! Witty and informative, this book is a MUST for anyone who likes to dabble in rockpools, or potter around sand dunes, seashore and beach with family and friends, and who would like to be able to cook something with the spoils of a days' edible beachcombing.

Open your eyes to the diversity of seashore plants, seaweeds and crustaceans and get out the billy can on the beach BBQ!
on 22 May 2010
This is the best book I have come across regarding safely identifying edible seashore wild foods, including plants and molluscs etc and how to safely cook them, thus avoiding the risk of any food poisoning or digestive upsets. Great colour photos too.
Importantly, it states the necesary regulations as to where and where not to collect your shore foods.
Phill Kettle.
on 25 May 2009
John Wright has captured everything a book like this should be - informative, well illustrated and full of lines to make you laugh !

I read it cover to cover in a day, and still some of it sticks in my mind. It will be packed for the summer holidays by the beach, and its already raised a laugh or two for my 10 year old !

The River Cottage books never fail to deliver - this has proved a point, and I'm waiting to see what is No.6 in the series.
on 13 May 2009
Utterly brilliant. For anyone with an interest in coastline foraging it is a must. I own many seaweed & seashore ID books & many recipe books on the same subject but finally I have all the information I want in one book that will always be with me when I head off to the coast.

I read it cover to cover the same day it arrived, that's how good it is!

J
on 2 September 2009
I bought this so I could better identify edible seaweeds. It does the job, has a lovely format with a textured hardback cover (bit like a 1960s schoolbook), and it is written in first person with a witty style. So pleased I then went and bought the mushrooms book to match.
on 15 June 2009
For a few years I have become agreeable to most things that Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has brought out via River Cottage.
The River Cottage Handbooks are a very clever and honest approach to the way we can have a go at copying the way Hugh has done things and more so when you find out that Hugh has selected his various Guru's to have their own work published...and that it is all their way of doing this.
John Wright takes you through the course of finding your food in and around the seashore...hoping to give a go this summer myself.
on 18 May 2009
This is a brilliant book if you like the idea of foraging for food on the seashore, and many things that live there appear to be edible. This book will very useful for shore anglers, who will have plenty of time to poke around while they are waiting for a bite. Some recipes are truly simple - Kelp Crisps: cut into squares, deep fry, eat. Others are more complex - shore crab soup is one but well worth it to exact revenge on those bait-robbers. John's writing is also very funny, you will find something to make you grin or laugh out loud on almost every page.
on 8 October 2009
This is a book for the serious beach forager. I think I was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer level of detail provided. I was thinking more of wandering along a beach and just collecting goodies and putting them in my basket. I suppose this book helped me to get real. But it is an impressive book and I may well study it in more depth some time in the future.