5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite prose!
The plot is improbable, and the conclusion, if you think about it, unsatisfying and depressing. But Barbara Trapido is such an excellent writer that one comes out from the reading exhilirated and hungry for more. Trapido is an eloquent and captivating writer, and you won't be able to put this book down.
This is the latest installment in Trapido's series, but you...
Published on 24 July 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a holiday read
This book was recommended by a member of our book group as a good funny holiday read. I didn't think there was anything humorous about this book at all. I found the characters very superficial and did not take any of them. The style of writing just did not appeal to me hence I gave up about half way through and picked up a much better read.
Personally I would not...
Published 1 month ago by Mrs. J. B. Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite prose!, 24 July 2000
By A Customer
This is the latest installment in Trapido's series, but you don't need to read the others (although you'll want to, afterwards) to understand or appreciate it. This is the book I read first, before going back and reading the preceding ones in the series, and this seems to be Trapido's best. If she gets better with time, I can't wait for her next book, which is supposed to be due out this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars The travelling hornplayer, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Travelling Hornplayer (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyable, it would have had 5 stars but for the rather improbable ending. It made me laugh out loud!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Travelling Hornplayer, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Travelling Hornplayer (Paperback)
Since first reading "Brother of the More Famous Jack" many, many years ago I have been hooked by Barbara Trapido. I decided to start re-reading them and can honestly say that they have not lost their appeal. The Travelling Hornplayer, made me laugh out loud (pity I was on a bus) made me sad but never failed to entertain. I must now buy "Sex and Stravinsky" my only missing Trapido tome.......

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a holiday read, 19 Aug 2014
Mrs. J. B. Bell "night owl" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Personally I would not recommend this book.

The Travelling Hornplayer
The Travelling Hornplayer by Barbara Trapido (Paperback - 20 July 2009)