5.0 out of 5 stars Radical, readable, scholarly
A friend recommended I read this book. Although I was initially sceptical, as I had not always been keen on Josef Ratzinger's actions before he became Pope, I thought I'd suspend my prejudice and take my friend's advice. I am so grateful I did. Basically, this book takes the fruits of several decades of scientifically-rigorous 'historical-critical' exegesis and asks...
Published on 3 Aug 2008 by P. Younger

3.0 out of 5 stars not for the light reader
Indeed, not for any but the most serious reader. I gave this 3 stars only because I expected this to be a book that spoke clearly to the person with a strong interest in the life of Jesus Christ and hoped the writer would elucidate His life. But, I have to say, this is very thick stuff to wade through. Perhaps it is a clumsy translation, or perhaps the author is just...
Published on 19 Oct 2009 by Dr John N Sutherland

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus of Nazareth, 15 Oct 2010
G. Whitney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration (Paperback)
A very informative book - both from a faith perspective and just getting to know more about Jesus perspective. Pope Benedict also comes across more approachable than he does in the media.

4.0 out of 5 stars pope benedict, 17 July 2010
Mr. J. Cliffe (Wodford Essex UK) - See all my reviews
Very good eschatology of Romes current view on theology.there is more to Benedict than one might think. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant Theological Excellence, 30 April 2010
T. Mannion (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This is amazing, it answers questions with answers that seem not to have been said before starting a cascade of theological knowledge which the Pontiff makes accessible to his audience, and a book which asks necissary questions about society and its deviation away from the message of Christ. A true masterpiece of Divine Excellence. However at times it can be wordy and seem to go around the houses so much that you almost forget the point he is making, until the last moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 27 July 2014
A. C. Ireland - See all my reviews
Pope Benedict really gets to know Jesus and tries to transmit that knowledge for the edification of his readers. Not a book to be rushed but to be read in small doses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 Sep 2014
Pope Benedict XVI is a great writer and this book is not only a theological book. This is also a great story!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly Commentary, 1 Jan 2010
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
"Jesus of Nazareth" is quite a deep,theological book written in a mostly academic manner by the current Pope.However,in the main, I found it to be an interesting and useful commentary on the early parts of Jesus's ministry. I come from a Protestant background and there was very little in the book that I would disagree with as it focused solely on Jesus and the Bible and didn't venture into disputed territory such as Mariology ,the existence of purgatory , the infallibility of the Pope etc. I found the Pope's analysis of Jesus's parables enlightening and I came away from reading this book, feeling more knowledgable about Christianity in general. I was impressed by the Pope's depth of knowledge about the Bible and his overall intelligence in being able to produce such a book. I still believe however that there is no substitute for reading the Bible,absorbing the power of it's words and making your own mind up about the validity of it's message.After reading "Jesus of Nazareth" I have a greater respect for the Pope and I would like to see the Roman Catholics of Ireland read this book and return to the faith many of them have jettisoned over the past 20 years or so in favour of Luciferian materialism. This may be unlikely at the moment however following the recent revelations that Roman Catholic bishops in Ireland systematically covered up for paedophiles over a prolonged period of time. I must admit that I was extremely sceptical about the nature of the Roman Catholic Church leadership, after having read the powerful novel "Windswept House" by Malachi Martin which more or less accused the Vatican of being under the control of Satanists. This may or may not be true, but certainly reading Pope Benedict's "Jesus of Nazareth" will not help lead souls to the Devil.Quite the reverse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant, 27 Jun 2008
S. Johnston (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus of Nazareth (Hardcover)
I thought this was a most enjoyable read in accessible language on the mystery of Jesus. It was not, however, wholly satisfying. To give two examples, Pope Benedict makes the point that many people ask why Jesus has not done more to reveal himself in more recent times. It is an intriguing question. His response seems, at least to me, incomplete and says nothing more than the totality of Christ's revelation was the Cross. Quite so, but we knew that anyway, so why 'tease' the reader that he might have more to say on the subject?
A second example is in his excellent analysis of the 'Our Father'. He asks the question 'Is God also mother?': again, an intriguing question. However, once again, his answer is confined to a few lines on p140 which seem incomplete and leave one puzzling about why he asked the question if he had so little to say about it.
Notwithstanding the above, I am looking forward to Part Two when it is published.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jesus of Nazareth from the Baptism in the Jordan to the, 24 Dec 2012
Caleb 329 (Merseyside UK) - See all my reviews
No doubt a very well written book, but I found it pretty hard going. I much preferred The Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus of Nazareth, 16 Jan 2012
Haven't had a chance to read it yet, being very busy over Christmas and the New Year, but the book arrived quickly and in very good condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a good believer, but . . ., 18 Nov 2007
This review is from: Jesus of Nazareth (Hardcover)
I've been a doubter most of my life. Benedict came close to entrapping me. The only thing that saved me was I knew I was dealing with the world's macro-genius of theology. Yet, although I did not come away as a believer, I did come away with a profound respect for this good man who so many accept as the Vicar of Christ on earth.

If you like pope-books, try John Cornwell's `The Pope in Winter', a wonderful record of the ups and downs of John Paul II. Also, get your fingers on Lucien Gregoire's `White Light Dark Night' a newly released biog of another of Benedict's predecessors, the 33-day Pope. We've heard too much of his death. Finally someone brings John Paul I back to life: his struggles as an impoverished child, as a rebellious seminarian, as a revolutionary priest and as an outspoken bishop/cardinal. John Paul I had a very different definition of `Jesus of Nazareth' than did either of his successors.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration by Pope Benedict XVI (Paperback - 7 April 2008)