4.0 out of 5 stars Love is of source unknown, yet it grows ever deeper
The old theme of star-crossed lovers takes an Oriental twist in this historical period drama about a love-struck young girl, an enamored poet, and the opera that not only brings them together but casts them apart.

This story is about Peony, a young woman and only child of a wealthy family. Set in seventeenth century China, when well brought up young women...
Published on 18 Aug 2007 by Amanda Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd expected
This is a really difficult book to review because it wasn't at all what I'd expected. The first third ran more or less true to form, following Peony as she prepares to turn 16 and leave her natal home to join a husband that she has never met. To commemorate a significant festival her father arranges a production of the epic opera The Peony Pavilion; an opera that Peony...
Published on 29 Sep 2008 by DubaiReader

4.0 out of 5 stars A Beautifully Innocent Look at Love, 17 Jan 2009
This review is from: Peony in Love (Paperback)
I loved the innocence of this book, of seeing love through the eyes of Peony, who fell in love and never truely got to experience it. If you are a romantic I highly recommend this read. I found this book truely enchanting and magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars peony in love, 26 Jan 2009
This review is from: Peony in Love (Paperback)
This is a beautifully written book that once I started reading could not put down. Whilst the story did not go in the direction I expected i absolutely loved it. Read it with an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Peony in Love, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Peony in Love (Paperback)
Excellent book. Exactly as described. Very sad but true. I have no more to write on this particular book. So

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspend disbelief, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Peony in Love (Kindle Edition)
I hope that this is not a spoiler, but it is rather strange to read a story, 75% of who characters is narrated by a ghost. However I found that, after a while, I bought into the concept & stopped noticing, this is, after all, a work of fiction.
Like "Snowflower & the Secret Fan", the other book by this author which I have read, she clearly has a great interest in Chinese history & the position occupied by women. Some details are shocking, she does not shrink from descriptions of foot binding, for example, which, as a modern Western woman I find hard to accept as any act empowering women, but I suppose that the ancient Chinese women clung to the concept as some still do to female genital mutilation as a cultural necessity. However I did find the story interesting & entertaining & it gave me an insight to a place & time of which I knew little.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!!, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Peony in Love (Kindle Edition)
What a beautiful, well-written and mesmerising read. The only time I put it down was to look up online things that intrigued me regarding Chinese culture from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual book, but defiantly worth reading., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Peony in Love (Paperback)
Unusual writing style, is written like no other book that I have read before. I re-read it after I had finished it just to make sure that I had understood it all. Well worth a read, a really good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars very thought provoking, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Peony in Love (Kindle Edition)
For me this was a very thought provoking and disturbing read. It highlights a part of the female soul which has been persuaded that to be feminine we must be demure, restful and supportive of the man in our life. To express opinions of your own risks the label 'shrew' or 'butch'. Are we really free to be ourselves, even in these more enlightened modern times?

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 17 Dec 2013
Dimples (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peony in Love (Kindle Edition)
Good story but too much waffle with the whole moping around after an opera character. First part was good but it lost focus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Peony in Love (Paperback)
I love this book, its so unusual and her writing style is easy to get on with. I love the historical aspects of her stories and would recommend this to anyone that likes something a bit more unusual than Mills and Boon.

Peony in Love
Peony in Love by Lisa See (Paperback - 7 July 2008)