5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!
I finally ventured into reading my first gay novel and i absolutely loved this book in particular. I bought 2 books on amazon for my holiday, i intended this book to last me a week, but this book was so addictive and catchy, i couldnt put it down! You will absolutely love this book. Get it!!!!! :D x
Published on 27 Oct 2011 by Adam:)

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read
Published on 15 Jun 2009 by K. M. Hambrook

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 15 Jun 2009
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
This was a very interesting book throughout. It was easy to relate my own experiences growing up as a gay lad to that of the main character. Every time I put the book down I had to pick it up again. The story line never seemed to go anywhere. Exciting scenes of the book where over before they had began, and the structure of the storyline was all over the place. The main annoyance though was the language used. I know it was meant to sound like a young lad's way of talking. I have only just turned 21 and I know a few gay lads who do talk like that, it's just very annoying really a book written this way. It is definitely worth a read though. Just don't let it be your first gay based book! It's not the best example.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confused? Not the plot: the reader, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
The storyline is fairly standard ~ the misunderstood teenager. The plot (and you are warned)jumps about a fair bit, so a notepad is useful. Also mug up on teenage language befoe opening the book or you'll be confused by page two. Once you have a grip with all of that it an interesting enough tale. And you can always offer it for resale on Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a first novel but fairly inconsequential, 29 April 2009
james-Arundel "james-arundel" (Arundel, West Sussex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
This first novel by Will Davis is a moderately good read, though I found the character main character of Jarold rather unsympathetic. Whilst you follow his journey with interest, he is a very selfish, sometimes very spiteful creation that is difficult to like. His cynicism, and his delivery of it, while occasionally funny jars somewhat with his obvious intelligence. The insight into his mind during his "experiences" rings very true at times, and is clearly something the author is writing from bitter experience. The "like", teen talk, gets "like" kind of wearing after a while, though it at least is "like", consistent.
As a whole, the story, as such, was slight to say the least, but this was nonetheless a reasonably enjoyable lightweight read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smile and enjoy the ride, 9 April 2009
M. E. Martin (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
I loved this book, from page one I smiled. I feel that Davis manages to capture the voice of a teen with total conviction, he is never condecending or trite and gives us a simple tale of ordinary people facing up to what life is becoming for them.
It's not heavy or deep, but it is fun and really enjoyable - Just enjoy the ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Poignant, 8 Sep 2010
Myer Kulper (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
This is a strong piece of writing.

From the opening sentence, the dynamic language takes us straight into the universe of Jaz, a witty but angry teenager. Davis invents a teenage jargon which gives the text an authentic and yet timeless quality, the sort of thing Mark Twain used to do

I can't match Jaz's life fact-for-fact but I can identify with his feelings: trapped amongst a suffocating family, hanging out with the friends he loves, avoiding the bullies he hates and- above all- going on the greatest adventure known to a young person, the search for love (which Jaz does by running away to Brighton with his friend Al)

Underneath the edgy language, Davis gives us the clear and steady voice of a young man facing the bitter and sweet facts of life: for better or for worse, Jaz cannot be a teenager forever. This is not a sentimental book and, for me, that is what makes it a cut above the usual teenage fiction.

I found the book funny. But, more importantly, I found it rather moving. Buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A modern teenager, 22 Aug 2011
David Ford (Kent in the UK) - See all my reviews
This book is classified as gay fiction but I would describe it as an analysis of a modern teenager and his perceived problems.

The story is very funny and full of sarcastic wit as seen through the eyes of Jaz a modern teenager and his dysfunctional family. Jaz is gay but he could just as easily be heterosexual it just means that his problems would be of a different type.

The author captures the mind and thoughts of a modern teenager very well, but just like the object of his writing the wit and language can grate after a while and the book is quite long enough.

This is a good first novel and displays a gift for understanding people and how they think.

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad read, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
i did enjoy this book but must say, the style the author used was a tad annoying because the word like is used far too much, but in that, the story was funny and moving and reminded me of a lot of my youth so did really enjoy the book, but be warned about the 'likes'

4.0 out of 5 stars amusing but unreal, 24 Jun 2013
Mr. D. P. Jay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
The cover claims that this book combines Queer as Folk with Adrian Mole.

Adrian Mole, certainly - the author imitates young people's language with `like' and `totally' every other line. Also `weirded out', LIC Gas (which I quite like) = `Like I could give a .' At a careers interview, we get typical adolescent irony with the suggested job of choice: `suicide bomber'.

But is he American? He uses terms like ` `conniption', which don't sound very English to me. Also, I doubt many teenagers know what `spragging' means - I had to look it up - it suggests bracing yourself so that you are not knocked off your feet - in this instance by a punch.

He also talks of school pupils in year three - it's been year nine for over twenty years now. As for a sixth former being told to stand outside the classroom for disrupting a lesson, I doubt that happens anywhere since sixth formers are voluntary attenders at school. Same with compulsory sport, which these kids have.

The author seems to think that 16 is below the age of consent (yet he contradicts this later in the book) - by the time he wrote, which is the period in which the story is set, there was an equal age of consent (or is he thinking about the minimum age for buying alcohol?)

But the back of the book tells me that he was born in London, though. In 1980 and that this is his first novel so I begin to wonder how much of it is autobiographical.

There are some familiar scenarios - meeting your teacher in a gay bar.

The gay teacher is a bit of a stereotype - also contradictory - one minute he is trying to be avuncular, the next parental/policing - and he makes the same mistake twice of bawling pupils out of a gay bar. However, the teacher means well and this conversation ensues: Fellows pats my shoulder in this ultra-cringeworthy, fatherly sort of way, which is downright freaky, not to mention totally unnatural.
He's like, If kids pick on you, don't let them get to you. You have every right to be what you are, Jarold Jones. Just you remember that. Every right in the world. Never let them make you feel ashamed and never let them tell you otherwise. Are you OK?... He's like, I mean it. Jarold, I want you to feel you can come to me if you have any problems, OK?
I'm like, OK already.
Fellows is like, And I wanted to talk to you about the last time I saw you. In that club.
All hope of a swift end to this torture vanishes. I'm like, a deeper level of Oh brother.
The thing is, I do understand what it's like, he goes, Discovering you're attracted to other boys and not knowing what it means. The realisation. And then all the nights weren't different. I've been through it all. I was young once too, you know.
He says this like it's meant to be a joke, rather than something that actually is quite hard to believe. It's weird, 'cos it is always kind of hard to imagine older people you know were once young. Like, trying to see them as teenagers, asking stupid questions and making stupid mistakes, and getting all interested in sex and making jokes about it. I've tried to imagine Mum and Dad when they were younger, but it's like trying to imagine having a third arm or something. It's easy to imagine them as screwed up, because they are, but not as screwed-up sixteen-year-olds.
It's a lonely life, goes Fellows like he's dispensing this blinding pearl of wisdom, But things aren't what they were. Times have changed. I remember how much harder it used to be. You're very lucky, to be growing up now. Thirty years ago you would have found it even worse. Back before Stonewall and the protesting, people like you and me hardly stood a chance.
Being called 'people like you and me' has me practically choking on my own vomit. Fellows clearly mistakes this as a sign that I'm riveted to his every word. I bear it for as long as I can stand and finally I'm like, Can I go now?
Fellows loses his sympathetic smile. He looks at me for a minute like he's not too impressed by what he sees, and then goes, Off you go then, like it was his idea.

Also a good way to get out of an embarrassing `birds and bees' lecture: I'm like, I just wish someone would talk openly to me about what men do when they're in bed together. Dad starts changing colour instantly. He's like, the definition of Help Me. After he's gone through the whole rainbow, I decide to let him off the hook and say that I'm tired now and maybe we can resume this conversation tomorrow, at which point he practically runs out of my room.

Another stereotype - the boy has a pushy mother and an ineffectual father.

Like most teenagers, the boy and his friend run away. However, you turn the page with them being at Brighton without having told us why. Another fifty pages of various incidents happens before we are told that they plan to run away.

An amusing narrative suddenly becomes serious when we discover a teenager who self-harms. His later suicide makes it more so.

There are some good turns of phrase such as the description of the boy's mother having a shouting fit which `erupts like a chronic case of zits.'

All in all an amusing read that passed the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny alrounder, 28 Jun 2009
A. Titley "book lover" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Side of the Story (Paperback)
Being a Teenager myself this book really interested me, there were some good laugh out loud moments. This may not be a good idea to read if you cannot understand Text speech or abbreviations as there is a lot. Even though i admit some of the situations Jaz get's into are unbelievable, most of them are. Being Bullied is something that happens to most people going through school and coming out may be the hardest thing a teenager with a interest in the same sex will ever have to do.
This book is a good addition to teenagers and adult's book collections in my opinion.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Side of the Story
My Side of the Story by Will Davis (Paperback - 3 Mar 2008)
6.39