• Sovay

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 September 2011
This is the first of Celia Rees books I have read, and thought it brilliant.

Sovay, a rich and beautiful girl, who ought to be sitting for a painting or drinking tea in the garden, but is instead, out disguised as a highway man to protect her identity, trying to prove her lovers disloyalty.
Sovay is set during the French Revolution & everyone in Britain is a suspect of treason! When Sovay finds sinister papers accusing her Father and Brother of treason against the king, she does as much as she can to help them, putting herself in danger, not that she minds of course!
It is well written, though not a challenging read,
but ideal as a Historical-Romance teen read.
on 15 August 2008
I am 14 and I noticed this book on a display, I read the blurb and I thought I would give it a try, this is a book that you cannot put down! I read it in two days and thouroghly enjoyed it, the characters are very well thought of and it is set in 1794, England, you always wanted to know what would happen on the next page and the book was interesting from the start, the ending is unexpected and the whole book is carefully written. Overall this was an amazing book, I borrowed it from the library but liked it so much that I bought a copy for myself.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2010
This book sat on my bookshelf for ages before I finally picked it up to read it. I had got the recommendation on a radio show and thought it was worth trying.
The style was too much action, as though the author was worried about the reader's attention span if nothing happened for a few pages.
I gave up after about 50 pages and moved on.
This is worth reading if you like historical action books but I wouldn't recommend it generally.
on 17 May 2011
This was a great book! I used it to revise for my French Revolution exam whilst having a bit of fun and geerally just really enjoying the writing of Celia rees, it's historically accurate, well written and a very good book for anyone interested in adventure stories with an undertone of romance or anyone aged about 13-19 with an interest in a more personal aspect of the French Revolution c. 1789.
on 2 December 2014
Purchased for our daughter. One of her favourite authors and all time favourite books. Delivery and service spot on too!!!
on 19 January 2013
Brilliant as always with one of Celia Rees books I am never disappointed just sad that I have read them all no
on 6 December 2008
I love an action seeking heroine as much as the next teenager, but i found the plot highly erratic and confusing, to the point i started laughing aloud at its absurdness. Her deeds as a highwayman and 'robbing for love' only last a few chapters to reel readers in and then the book seems to jump from one odd scenario to the next. Rees did an incredible job with 'Pirates!' and her style of writing is much better suited to writing in the 1st person, like with the heroine of that book, Nancy Kingston. In this novel, the third person perspective doesnt suit the story and makes it harder to read, the text is littered with cliches and you can't get inside Sovay's head and what makes her tick, you can't really figure out her motives and her apparent moral ease at being prepared to kill. Disappointing lack of relationship development, (SPOILER) - especially her very random get together with the french captain right at the end when throughout the book there were many more enigmatic/charming suitors. Lots of unanswered questions e.g. what happens to Gabriel and more info needed on the mad scientist. I find this frustrating, as when you read the blurb you think a brilliant litery masterpiece awaits. The concept has so much potential, so its a shame it goes so horribly wrong.
on 19 December 2014
Good read, enjoyed some of her other work more. But still enjoyed it a lot.
on 20 February 2015
love all her books
on 28 July 2009
I almost couldn't finish this. I was very disappointed. I left it in my hotel.

The writing style is odd. It's in third person so you don't feel you know the characters at all becuase you never hear their thoughts. I didn't understand. It all seemed way too cliche for me.

The characters keep saying the same things over and over and it get boring. I was expecting something along the lines of Pirates which was great but this fell way short of the mark. I suggest reading Philippa Gregory if you a good historical fiction.