5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Published on 16 Sep 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Quick Read
I have a thing for stories about memory loss and this is the fourth memory loss book I've read, the first being 'What Alice Forgot, then Remember Me? then picture Perfect. This was the first teen memory loss book that I read though.

The story follows Naomi who has just woken up after falling down a flight of stairs and bashing her head. She remembers nothing...
Published on 27 Mar 2011 by Samantha Jayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 16 Sep 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
When sixteen-year-old Naomi Porter takes a header down the front steps of Thomas Purdue Country Day School, she loses a lot more than her pride. Although she remembers the ride in the ambulance to the hospital with James Larkin, and recalls that her blood ended up on his shirt, and even remembers that he assured the ambulance driver that he was her boyfriend, she's having a really hard time remembering anything prior to that. Anything, say, that happened in the last four years.

Awake and alert in the hospital with her dad by her side, Naomi knows that something's wrong. She knows her name, and she knows where she is. What she doesn't quite understand is that the last tangible memory she has happened when she was twelve. She can tell by the way her body feels that she's not twelve any longer. And then comes the first of many shockers: her parents are divorced. Oh, and her mother is remarried to her high school sweetheart, and they have a toddler named Chloe, who happens to be her half-sister. And she has a boyfriend named Ace, who conveniently enough is away at tennis camp. And her best friend, William "Coach" Landsman, is also the co-editor of the school paper, The Phoenix, a position she shares. And on and on the list goes, until all Naomi wants to do is scream.

In the course of a few minutes and one bump on the head, Naomi has lost four years worth of memories. She still knows she's adopted, she recalls her life up until the age of twelve, but everything between seventh grade and her current position as a junior in high school is a blank slate. For some, she's a girl to be pitied. For others, she's just another teen looking for attention. For herself, and her father, and her best friend, and her boyfriend, and the boy she begins to fall in love with, she's something else entirely -- an enigma, a girl without a past who must forge ahead to make her own future.

I truly enjoyed MEMOIRS OF A TEENAGE AMNESIAC. The tone of the story is a perfectly balanced mix of humor, seriousness, and the search for identity. There are moments that are sad, and even downright heartbreaking, mixed with scenes of hilarity. Ms. Zevin, the author of one of my favorite books ever, ELSEWHERE, has penned another story that will leave you wondering and thinking long after you turn the final page.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars a heart-felt, awe-inspiring read, 2 Aug 2008
Ms. R. C. Smyth "opera duck" (Bangor, County Down United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
I read this book in a few hours, and was left with that slightly depressing feeling of 'I can't believe it's all over now and I have to return to reality'... A rare feeling I get after I finish reading a book. I read a lot, and this is honestly one of the best things I've come across in a couple of years.

It simply blew me away. It's so fresh, so original, so inspirational. It's the kind of book that you fall in love with from the first word and then obsess over for weeks after you've turned the final page. The plot is fast-paced, the characterisation realistic and gripping, the tone genuine and the message so heart-felt.

A must-read for all teenage girls aged 13-16.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written touching sensitive subjects, 14 May 2010
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
As you would expect from the title, it is written in 1st person narrative dropping us straight into Naomi's life following an accident where she gets a nasty head injury wiping out her memory of the past few years. Only certain aspects like all her personal life yet she can still remember things like maths & science. Funny how the brain works :)

The book is written in 3 sections. The 1st section is called I was. It deals with Naomi trying to piece together the type of person she was before the accident. It gives her new insight into events that have occurred within the years the is unable to remember. She is also able to look back at her previous reactions objectively which helps give her a different perspective.

The 2ND section is called I Am. Where although Naomi is still unable to remember the last few years she takes the opportunity to redefine herself into the person she feels like on the inside rather than the person everyone but herself can remember. She cuts her hair, dumps her boyfriend, drops a few things at school and starts a new relationship with James, the boy who was at the accident, finds some new friends and takes a part in the drama production. Gabrielle Zevin does a wonderful job of depicting the horror that is depression within the narrative. Although we as a reader can see that the romance between Naomi and James is doomed, you can also appreciate the qualities that draw Naomi to James. At points I literally wanted to scream at Naomi to leave James as she couldn't help him and was only hurting herself. Powerful writing to inspire that sort of reaction don't you think?

The 3rd section is called I Will. Although Naomi regains her memory she doesn't tell anyone for awhile afraid to fit the 2 halves of herself together, the Naomi before the accident and the Naomi she created in order to redefine herself. The narrative gives wonderful insight into the difference between how we feel about ourselves and how other people see us. As Naomi comes to terms with all the events in her life she puts into practice the new perspective she has gained and discovers true love in the process.

A beautifully written book dealing with some sensitive subjects one of which is depression. Terrific music references again. A really good read :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 Dec 2007
J. A. Hobson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
I was in the book store on Friday afternoon and was looking for something to occupy me for the upcoming Christmas vaccation.I am a keen reader but I had not read much for pleasure scince I started my GCSE studying.
I picked up "Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac" and started it when I got in. I am not a fast reader and I really liked this book as it is kind of freaky to think of having amnesia and how Naiomi was a different person. I feel like I really connected with her even though I am younger than her and definetly dont keep things blocked up inside. There is something about her that all girls love and I cant quite place it . I come away feeling great that I have read it. Surely thats a reason to read it?

4.0 out of 5 stars If you read and enjoyed Elsewhere I think you’ll like this one as well., 3 April 2014
As originally seen at [...]

This book was fun and creative, like I expected. I just wanted to keep reading it. If you like Young Adult books you should read this one. The simple writing and the original plot made it a light and pleasant reading.

Naomi, the main character, is a seventeen-year-old teenager with a past that you’ll get to know while you read it and sometimes you find about her past at the same time as her.
She is sympathetic and I felt myself feeling sorry for her, or happy for her, or angry for her. It’s good to read a book with characters that you can relate in some way. In this case, I don’t identify myself with her; I just think she is really well built, like this could be the story of a real person living next door, and I loved to read about her adventures in the discovery of helsef.

Like in our lives, people come and go; some can come back again, others won’t. Things have a time. We have to understand when to grow ourselves out of a relationship, a job, a situation that is not comfortable or healthy for us anymore. Naomi struggles with this.

While you read about a teenager that could be any teenager, you read about a very particular person that has to deal with things that most people won’t recognize in their lives. It’s not a sad book. Like a good book, it has some sad parts, but you can also have a good laugh and overall it’s a positive book.

Zevin as a way of taking the writer to another world: the world that she describes on the book and where the characters get alive. She doesn’t need to be detailed in describing what’s around so that you can picture it in your mind. It’s just the way she writes and the plots she creates that allow you to make that trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving yet funny at times, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
As with Gabrielle's novel Elsewhere, she once again manages to take a compliated and sensitive issue and deals with it tactfully and yet with a wonderful humourous tone that i found refreshingly different.
Naomi's voice is different and so funny, that at times i found myself laughing out loud despite the somewhat serious nature of the plot.

In summary, Naomi is a teenager with your average teen life. She's popular, has a gorgeous boyfriend, a bestfriend and an active social life. Then an ill-fated flip of a coin results in her taking a tumble down the stairs, and when she wakes she has no memory of things such as who her boyfriend is, her best friend is, that her parents are divorced or that she's having sex with afore mentioned boyfriend.

The above plot may sound like the set-up to either an emotional depressing ride or some comedy sketch show, depending how you look at it. To me, it was rather a mix of both. Naomi's reactions were humorous in the most part and the consequences of her memory loss were sometimes very sad.
On the flip side, some of her memory loss gave way for second chances and i loved the fact that she essentially got the chance to start again in some aspects of her life and repair some damage from before.
This book to me represented to much more than a work of teenage fiction, and is actually more of a love story of different sorts, with lessons in forgiveness, second chances and hope for the future.

Naomi herself was an instant like for me, she's funny, sarcastic at times and healthily emotional. Her response to her memory loss, instead of being overly sulky was very mature because, as she put it, she can't change it from happening, and her willingness to move on was astoundingly mature for a teenager.
Will was awesome, and his character reminded me a little of the book Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, what with the messages in music he kept giving Naomi.
James was also another standout character, and i loved how Gabrielle dealth with her portrayal of mental illness, it was done sensitively yet without patronisation.

In honesty, this has been one of my favourite reads. Beautifully written and with a writing style that will grab the attention of the most reluctant readers, this is a must read for fans of young adult fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 12 July 2011
N. Meadows "cerealandtoast" (Colchester, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
This is without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. It starts off with a teenage girl who flips a coin with her best friend and co-editor for the yearbook, and the loser has to climb the stairs to go back to the yearbook office and get a camera. The girl slips and falls, loses her memory, and has to start afresh, with everything from her mother, to school, to her boyfriend. The girl has a lot of trouble finding the true her, and gets quite lost in the process. This book is especially amazing for teenage girls/young adult girls, but it's also worth reading it whatever age you are. I reread it at least every 3 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely little book by one of my favourite authors., 1 July 2011
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
Elsehwere ahs to be one of my favourite books ever so I was very keen to read this, another book also
by Gabrielle Zevin. This book is ultimately a love story, but one that involves a girl who, after taking
a header down a set of stairs, wakes up in hospital having lost the last few years of her memory.
At first this love story involves James Larkin, a new student who comes to the rescue of Naomi after
discovering her unconscious. He calls an ambulance and after pretending to be her boyfriend he goes eith her
to the hospital. Naomi is attracted to him and at first because of the amnesia thinks he is infact her
boyfriend. Then we meet her best friend Will who is one of the only people who is honest with her when she
asks questions about her missing years. The plot all becomes alot more complicated but it really is a very
enjoyable read. Sort of a love triangle in a way that also helps lead Naomi to the rediscovery of her memory
and the reasons why she blocked out alot of those years from her mind. It doesn't just lead her to the person
she is really meant to be with, it also leads her back to someone else important in her life who she has
distanced herself from. It was quite emotional and some of the themes struck a cord with me (not the amnesia)
so it was a book I and a charatcer who I could connect with making it all the more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book., 30 July 2010
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
This book is amazing! At first it seems a bit boring but when I got into it, I couldn't stop reading. I read the whole book in under 24 hours. I'd recommend this to any girl 12+, I think it's more in the teenage age group though.

10/10

:)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Trouble, 13 Nov 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (Paperback)
I think Gabrielle portrays the feeling of everyone knowing who you've been but yourself not knowing pretty well. The story is light, and warm and gets you attached.
When Naomi suffers a severe head trauma she forgets what has happened for the last three and half years.
When she goes back to school she realises that person she was is not the person she wants to be now. She finds it hard to find her own feet and manages to lose her best friend and boyfriend. She seems to be lost without knowing who she really is.
It is perfect for a light casual read but I do think there could of have been more of a story behind it as at times I felt like the story was in the middle of nowhere.

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin (Paperback - 17 Sep 2007)
5.24