on 24 September 2003
*SPOILER RIDDEN*
It makes me angry to hear people criticising J.K Rowling's apparent new attitude. According to some, she has effectively become an elitist...more interested in her new style of life than the characters she writes. Well here's the news...anyone who has seen or read any interview with J.K Rowling will know that couldn't be more wrong. And OotP proves that in more ways than one.
The book is well honed, I would defy those who say there is little character development. We see a brand new weaker, more human side to a lot of characters. Not the least of these is Dumbledore who a lot of fans believed could do no wrong. But what about the change in others? Aunt Petunia's revelation about the dementors etc... it's not like THAT would have happened earlier in the series and there's more to it.
And then to Harry's apparent anger...I recently read the book for the 3rd time, having each time concentrated on a different aspect. And I have to say that his anger is not so predominant after further association. And even if it were, is it really unjustified? Think what the poor guy has been through.
What else? Oh yes the length. I've heard rumours abound that J.K Rowling has become strong enough to overule her publishers and editors! I'm sorry, but come on! Every book published is carefully produced and time and time again J.K Rowling has spoken about her close relationship with her editor. Assuming she's not lying to the world at large (a concept I find unlikely) then careful editing HAS gone on and what is in this book is there for a reason.
I firmly believe that as the next 2 books are unleashed we'll see the reasoning behind a lot of the slower paced areas and a lot of the apparent anti-climatic passages will be explained. J.K Rowling is, and no doubt will remain one of the best authors in modern crossover literature. Any author who can resist public pressure and take 3 years to make sure a book is as they want it deserves that title for sheer courage - surely that shows she's not interested in the lifestyle, or she'd have rushed it out and received her huge paycheque as quickly as possible.
on 23 June 2003
I read this book in one sitting, with lots of oohs and aahs - much to the annoyance of my flat mates who were waiting to read the book! We now have three copies of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in our household as no-one is prepared to wait for the other to finish the book. A brilliant read for all Harry Potter fans.
on 23 June 2003
This book is the 5th in the series and it is fan-bloody-tastic! its not as exiting...no, let me re-phrase that...You find out a lot more about the characters back grounds and stuff....there is less action but more discovering. My faverote chapter is "snapes worst memory" and i am in love with James Potter!
this books rocks!
on 27 June 2003
The book is well presented and as it is an adult addition it is original. Harry starts his fith year at Hogwarts and fans of the last book will remeber that Harry and the wizarding world face a difficult and challenging time. The book was exciting, hilarious and powerfull. Potter fans of any age will not be disappointed!!!!
on 14 September 2014
love all things Harry Potter
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, is long awaited,
but worth every second. It starts off with action and ends
with action. Another excellent book by JK Rowling. We
eagerly await the 6th and 7th books. Hope Harry has some
good luck ahead of him though. Excellent reading and very
entertaining.
on 8 July 2003
The expectations were really high the days before the release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, but J. K. Rowling didn't disapoint this time either. Like before she really managed to live fully up to what you had expected. This book is quiet an experience worth, all from the beginning to the last sentence!
on 22 June 2003
This long-awaited book from JK Rowling, is brilliant! It's so hard to put down. There is so much suspense and drama in this book. It has a good storyline and the person who dies is totally unexpected, yet so obvious! I would recommend it to anyone who wishes to be entertained and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
on 20 July 2004
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has got to be the best book i've ever read! It left me craving for more. I can not wait to read book 6 im so excited! I was very surprised by the death in the order of the phoenix,how it happened so sudden. It nearly made me cry:( I'm going to miss the person who died. Hopefully the last two books will be just as good or better! J.K rowling is such an amazing writer her stories make me wish it was all real and that i went to Hogwarts. I urge people to read this book it is amazing!
on 20 September 2005
The Book 5 is the most heavy-going (to this date - I am writing this 20th September, 2005) of the supposed seven-book series. It comprises a dark and depressing saga not far from the works of Stephen King. I really would like to konw if British (and American as well) children have really "enjoyed" reading this.