1,142 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME
Having read the whole Harry Potter series twice I still don't think I am either a fanatic or expert. What I can say is that Deathly Hallows is the best book I have ever read and it concludes what is a compelling series of books.

I finished Deathly Hallows for the second time last night and could happily pick it up and start reading it again.
Published on 8 Jan 2009 by L. Woodley

3.0 out of 5 stars Had to read this as I had read all the others
I read this book as I had read all the others but for me the book was a bit long winded. I actually kept forgetting that I was reading it so wouldn't say it was a page turner. I am glad I read it though so I can be part of the Harry Potter thing. Thought the ending was very good though. I didn't actually expect that ending.
Published on 16 July 2010 by casper

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever, 30 April 2011
My name is Alice P,I am nine years old and have read all of the Harry Potter books twice.This book review is on Harry Potter and the deathly hallows because it is by far my favourite. It capivated me from the first paragraph. I would recomend this book to anyone who has read the other six for it refers to them a lot...
I really liked how the story made me think that the impossible can happen,like wizardy and schools of magic!!! Through out the series I have grown to know the characters better and better.

My favourite storyline from the book is the big battle at Hogwarts where Harry kills Voldermort, his arch enemy. I also like the bit where Harry dies and comes back to life again because it made me feel lots of different emotions in a short space of time.

This is a must read book that once you start you can't put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deathly Hallows, 1 Feb 2011
A Kid's Review
This is very gripping read. It is the best way to finish the Harry Potter series, and answers all the questions that you have been longing to know the answer to, for so long. JK Rowling has cleverly put all the well known charactors into this last book and developed their personalities further.

For me it is the best book in the series, which will hopefully motivate you to read the whole series.
This is one of my favourite reads, and I am very sad that the Harry Potter series had to come to an end.
I would highly reccommened to anyone looking for a meaty read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..., 27 July 2007
Of course like all young Harry Potter fans I was eagerly awaiting the last book - The Deathly Hallows and I was not disapointed. Including several clever mysteries that have been explained as well new ones that have been thrown in to throw the reader of the track this book ties up every cliffhanger in the previous books.

This is the ultimate page-turner and I had lost count at about by half way through the number of sharp intakes of breath I had made in shock and bewilderment at this brilliantly written, spectaculer ending to one of the most prolific book series of all-time.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not a great book, 25 July 2007
Ms. Heather Pearson "heth" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
Having locked myself away with this book for the last 3 days, I'm sad its all ended. However, I agree with a previous reviewer that it could have lost 100 pages without causing any anxiety, something that's true of the previous 2 HP books in my opinion.

The ending was brilliant and a great end to the series. However, the epilogue was totally unnecessary and nauseating. The epilogue actually ruined the end of the book for me.

I hope she doesn't bring out more. Whilst I love Harry, I think he's had a traumatic enough life already ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter, 23 July 2007
This is by far the deepest and most emotional book by far. Harry is off searching for the horcruxes, the ministry of magic has been taken over by voldemort and he has to endure people spreading lies about the man he probably most looked up to dumbledore. so along with the burden that he is the only one who can finish lord voldemort off he has people vanishing and dying all through this book until they get to the final battle at the end. I don't want to say much more but it is definately one of the most enjoyable books of the seven as now everything in the last six fits like a jigsaw puzzle.
thanks jk

4.0 out of 5 stars George Lucas should pay attention!, 13 Sep 2007
i wrote this "i did" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
'The Deathly Hallows' serves as a great example of how to end an epic and much loved saga. I find it hard to believe that any Harry Potter fans could be disappointed by what J K Rowling does with the story and key characters in this book. Things start quickly, there are revelations that shed new light on crucial events and characters from previous books and a really good finale that will have readers old and youg punching the air with excitement.
I would advise parents of younger children to read this together as there are some gruesome bits.
Also, if you are one of the only people left in the english speaking world who hasn't read a Harry Potter book or seen one of films then this certainly is not the place to start!
I really enjoyed this book and I think there is plenty here to keep readers of all ages hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfactory ending, 29 Aug 2007
With such an epic series, with destinies that intertwine, characters and sub plots from 6 books to resolve, Deathly Hallows is a suitable and agreeable ending to the Harry Potter chronicles.

All loose ends are tied up, thankfully, and there are a few good paradigm shifts along the way. There are a few chuckles and unexpected tears along the way.

Bearing in mind that this was initially aimed at the child / young adult market, the action scenes are suitable, the language non-patronising, and some tough subjects are tackled.

I did find the 'monologuing' at the end a little amusing...and the mid section was a little too drawn out. Maybe the last chapter was a little twee?

But there - maybe I'm being over critical. JK Rowling's achievement has been astounding and for these books at least, she deserves to be ranked alongside Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb finale, 21 Aug 2007
The other five star reviews say it all, really.

The series has been wonderful - the way the plot gets deeper and darker through each book, the character development, the whodunnit elements; it's easy to see why it is such a huge worldwide success.

I wondered once or twice if this book was a little over-edited. It is quite a lot shorter than my favourite (book 5), and seemed to go slightly off course (there were some oh-so-convenient plot hooks and a few non-essentials left hanging), but it actually all works fine.

A bittersweet finale and an epilogue wrap up the story. I was left with a satisfied glow of having followed it through to the end.

Now I want to re-read all the books just once more. Or maybe twice...

4.0 out of 5 stars The end is here, 29 July 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
So, here it is, the last book in the hugely popular Harry Potter series. Was it any good? Did it live upto, and deserve, all that hype? Well, yes, although I feel some may still be disappointed with the ending.

In the final installment, Harry has the unenviable task of finding all of the remaining horcruxes and destroying them so that the evil Lord Voldemort shall finally be defeated. The task before him is huge; some would say impossible. But, when has that stopped Harry before?
Because of the nature of Harry's task, and the way his world has turned out, with the threat of Vodemort ever more real, Hogwarts is no longer the familiar thread that has linked the previous books. Hardly any of the action takes place there, but that is because it has now become far too dangerous for Harry, Ron and Hermione to return to their wizarding school. With Dumbledore dead, even that familiar world is no longer the same - the world of Harry Potter and his companions is darker than it has ever been.

For myself, this installment was either going to be a great climax to the whole series, or a huge disappointment - I personally thought that books 5 and 6 were let downs, in that they could have benefitted from more editing in order to keep the pace of the story at a peak.
Upon beginning the first chapter of THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, I was pleased to find that it completely enthralled me again. Although there were times when I began to find the going a little slow and despairing, generally J. K. has done a great job finishing off her successful epic.
Personally, I think the ending woulod have been better without the epilogue, but that is my own view.

All in all, this book will certainly delight all the fans; young and old alike. I hope this has seen the end of Harry though - for her to take it any further would just be to cheapen what she has already created.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read - little tedious at times., 27 July 2007
George Holmer "Avid reader" (Gilgil, Kenya) - See all my reviews
I read this book overnight (reading it in advance before reading it to the children) and thought it was generally good although there was part in the middle that was a little boring and almost had me dropping to sleep.

I didn't like the travelling around the countryside the three main characters did and it read a little bit as though the author had the film in mind rather than the book, all the locations ever mentioned in the series had to be visited with the exception of the island where Harry met Hagrid for the first time (although it was mentioned). It also read a bit like those episodes of major series that go in for 'looking back' or 'remembering' past events. This is unfortunate but probably unavoidable.

J.K. Rowling does not write beautiful English in the line of Tolkein, C.S. Lewis or any of the classics but she does manage to capture the imagination of children of a certain age (upper limit of about 14 I'd say). That is not to say adults can't enjoy it though.

I was sad to see some of the characters go and especially Snape - I found his demise much more moving than that of Dumbledore in book 6. I have always been very fond of Snape since book 1 the same way I was fond of my own strict teachers. I also found the explanation of his motivations extremely believable. I was surprised the RAB mystery was solved so quickly in the book (although it was quite obvious in my opinion).
The ending was very appropriate for young readers but perhaps a little hollywood and seems not to be liked by some of the older readers. Personally I quite like epilogues but unfortunately this one doesn't explain what happens to the Dursleys or the followers of Voldamort after the battle is won.

In conclusion - well worth buying and J.K.Rowling has down the young a great service in making books that young people enjoy reading. With all the modern temptations of tv, video and computer anything that encourages reading should be applauded in my opinion!