on 8 June 2011
This is a review I should have written a long time ago, however being convinced that I `just wasn't that into Harry Potter' left me completely oblivious to the full extent of this story, until now. I finished this book one hour ago and I will now consider myself, a full-fledged crazy fan, only ten years later than everybody else. Enjoy.

Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Reading time: 2 days
Rating: 9 ½ / 10

Its no secret that J.K.Rowling has an imagination we'd all like to take credit for, however I don't think anyone expected, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, to be as captivating as it was. I, for one, could not put it down. Only after hours of reading would I finally give in to my chronic back ache and or droopy eyelids.

Having been with these characters since they were 11, you already know what you're getting. You feel like you know the score. But what you don't expect is how the unraveling of the story brings you closer to the characters you feel like you know so well. You experience they're conflict when confronted with riddles and clues, you experience them dealing with battle and loss, and amongst this, you experience they're everyday teenage angst as they deal with some long overdue love. I no what your thinking, that they've done these things in the others books too, but I can safely say, never like this. Never in a way that has you glued to your seat, soaking in words like they were crack.

For me Harry Potter has been a constant in my life, for as long as I can remember pointing at old buildings and asking my Mum if I'd found Hogwarts, so reaching the end was always going to be emotional. But I never expected that saying goodbye to Harry, Ron and Hermione would be like losing three old friends. And for me, the urge to keep reading until these characters die of old age, will never subside. Harry Potter has been a necessity among my generation, and after 10 long years, the book that finally see's `The Boy Who Lived' triumph, will not disappoint.

Captivated, excited, infuriated, heart broken, Inspired. You'll feel many things throughout the story, but after turning that last page, you feel what I can only describe as, magical.
on 8 January 2009
Having read the whole Harry Potter series twice I still don't think I am either a fanatic or expert. What I can say is that Deathly Hallows is the best book I have ever read and it concludes what is a compelling series of books.

I finished Deathly Hallows for the second time last night and could happily pick it up and start reading it again.
on 9 August 2007
I read some of the reviews and i felt moved to right my own one. Firstly i would like to say yes the book is more adult than Jk's previous books but i think people are missing the point it is a natural progression not only for the characters but the readers who have grown up with Harry Potter! In my humble opinion this book and all the Harry Potter Books are classics and will stand the test of time. Right back to the book i found it just as avidly a page turner as the previous ones. yes perhaps some of the storylines could have been fleshed out a bit more, but it is easy to criticise, i found this book hugely enjoyable and very uplifting and a triumph of the obvious love and effort JK has put into writing it. I think the story and the many themes running through this book and the previous ones such as the importance of family, a human life, being true to yourself, self sacrifice, never giving up hope, friendship, Love etc... are all things that resonate now and in the future. I cannot thank JK enough.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 July 2007
I've just put down the book, after spending almost the entire day reading, and I'd like to agree with those who say it's the best in the series.

Certainly, it's darker than the other books, but Rowlings writing style has also matured. I enjoyed the earlier books though they tended to over-explain things, in the style of much childrens' literature. The writing style here is cleaner, trusting more in the reader.

Something that does not often get picked up on in the books is their realism. Yes, as one reviewer commented (unfavourably), there are "dei ex machina", but so there are in much thriller and fantasy fiction. However, the books can be read as a strong allegory on very real threats that face us today. Tney deal with attacks on civil liberties, the rise of pro-fascist political groups, and the need for resistance. The death eaters exist in our society, though under different names.

I also admire Rowling for not writing a simplistic story about a struggle between "goodies" and "baddies". Yes, good and evil do exist in her world, but her characters are more complex, and act from a mixture of motives. This final book underlines this complexity both in the interaction between the characters and in what we learn aboutt the past lives of two of them in particular.

In short, a very good series, with an excellent ending.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Just about everyone, it seems, has been on the journey with Harry Potter over the past ten years - eagerly awaiting the next installment, devouring it as soon as it appears, and then mulling over the implications, twists and clues as the HP universe takes shape in their minds. I found this final book is a richly satisfying conclusion to the story - exciting, moving and intriguing.

The tight-rope that JKR walks as she endeavours to mix adventure, mystery, morality, emotion and humour into her tale (all the while having to contend with the breathless anticipation of her vast reading public) is almost impossible to stay upright on - to be sure, I thought there were some wobbles here as characters get shunted around locations in a somewhat unrealistic fashion - but her achievement in having captivated our attentions for so long with such a great work of imagination can't be denigrated. This is a fine ending to a wonderful story.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 July 2007
What a fitting conclusion to what has been a fabulous series. By far the darkest of the series and young readers might get scared / worried. Some suprises along the way though I found it dragged a bit in the middle. The end show-down a superb finale and I only pray that whoever is given the honour of directing this final film does it credit and a much better job than the last two films (Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix)... I would have preferred the epilogue hadn't been written but I suppose it makes sure we can't hassle JK to write any more in the series and thus weaken what has been a fantastic journey. Certainly answered all the questions that the previous books had raised - a must-read!!!
on 26 January 2015
The first time I read this book I did it in one take, in an 18 hours frenzy or so. Just because I needed to know what happened. Then after a month or so I re-read it and got more of the book in, something I wasn’t able to do the first time because of my super quick pace.
Well I loved it, and I still love it every time I read it. I read the Harry Potters every three of four years, when I feel I’ve forgotten enough about them to enjoy them once more. The only bad thing I can say about this book is that, being it the last in the saga, when I finish it I feel a bitter disappointment at not having more. It is so good every time that after it, I just need to stay away from every other book for a while because well, nothing is like Harry Potter.
If it is your first time reading it, lucky you, my advice to you is take it slow, I know it is impossible, but try to relish every page because at the end of it you won’t get more, sigh.
The book has everything: suspense, adventure, struggle, deceit, loss, and most of all retribution! It is spectacular, breath taking, finger twisting, moving, and well, it’s just a masterpiece.
The chapter about Snape makes me cry every time!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After years of waiting, devoted fans finally got to read the conclusion of JK Rowling's iconic seven part wizarding saga. And it is a fitting end to the series.

The Deathly Hallows is a fast paced, plot driven read, with lots of action throughout. Within a couple of chapters there are nail biting battles and Rowling is pulling no punches (within reason, as it is after all a children's book). The conclusion had me unable to stop reading, utterly gripped to find out at last how it would all end.

This story is different from its predecessors, which all had a familiar structure based around happenings of the school year. This novel sees Harry no longer at school and so the cosy predictability of earlier tomes is lost. This is no bad thing - it makes a more exciting read and conveys more accurately how Harry feels, cast adrift from the routine he knows. It also would have been very hard to do the story justice if Harry and his friends were still having to attend classes and hand in homework.

Unsurprisingly, the book is much darker in tone than the others, and although there are still flashes of humour, they are far fewer. Rowling creates a sense of menace and foreboding, and does an excellent job of conveying the fear of being hunted and of trying to oppose an unjust, corrupt state. For those who like to see allegory, there are strong tones of the Holocaust as wizards with non-magical parents are rounded up. Rowling should be applauded for demonstrating how such things can come about with frightening speed and the terrible effects on ordinary people caught up in the middle. I am sure that teachers of history and politics will be making use of this book.

Less good points include a section in the middle where the plot doesn't seem to move on much, though it does serve a purpose. Older readers in particular may miss the presence of the many suporting characters of earlier books. While most get a cameo appearance, the story is focussed utterly on Harry and his two best friends, and as they are often living in isolation, we get much less of the adult and other characters whom for many readers are the main attraction.

In terms of answering questions and tying up loose ends... well, for Rowling to have done them all, she'd have needed to produce a novel the size of a paving slab, and it would have probably been a pretty tedious read. Let's just say she answers the most important ones, and covers some of the rest in general priniciples. It would have been nicer to have a longer epilogue, with the fates of more characters mentioned, but then again, there would always be some that had to be missed.

There are a number of deaths in the book but these are handled skillfully and, whilst upsetting, I do not think they would unduly distress a younger reader. There is nothing too graphic, and children from 8 upwards should be fine, although there is a lot of subtext here that will go over their heads.

Overall, this is a fitting finale to one of the biggest literary phenonema of modern times. Old and young readers alike will be intrigued to know what happens to Harry and his friends, and they will not be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 April 2011
My name is Alice P,I am nine years old and have read all of the Harry Potter books twice.This book review is on Harry Potter and the deathly hallows because it is by far my favourite. It capivated me from the first paragraph. I would recomend this book to anyone who has read the other six for it refers to them a lot...
I really liked how the story made me think that the impossible can happen,like wizardy and schools of magic!!! Through out the series I have grown to know the characters better and better.

My favourite storyline from the book is the big battle at Hogwarts where Harry kills Voldermort, his arch enemy. I also like the bit where Harry dies and comes back to life again because it made me feel lots of different emotions in a short space of time.

This is a must read book that once you start you can't put down.
on 18 September 2007
There are so many reviews on this site that give a good overview of the plot that it seems superfluous to add another, However, I must add a few words. The final book in the series is very much darker and may be very upsetting for some younger readers. The escape from the Dursley house brings the danger that Harry faces into sharp focus. At once, his world starts to crumble. He must complete the task given to him by Dumbledore, but he has no idea how. He is very aware that his task brings everyone he feels close to into mortal danger and he is scared. Scared for himself and scared for them. He knows that he cannot escape his fate but doesn't know how to prepare for it. The book seems to slow down the pace as Harry,Ron and Hermione go into hiding, but this reflects the lack of direction in their search for the Horcruxes. After all, they don't know what they are looking for, or where they may be hidden. Even if they find them, how do they get hold of them and destroy them? After many close shaves, traps, capture, torture and treachery, they lurch to the last hiding place and the last battle. As to Dumbledore's and Snape's earlier lives - these are just illustrations of the fact that even the great and the good are capable of bad deads,and conversley, that the darkest, nastiest person is capable of great love and sacrifice. No-one is ever perfect. As to the final chapter, don't begrudge a chance to show that all the pain and sorrow was worth the sacrifices. After all, since we first met Harry as an unhappy 10 year old, all he ever wanted was a normal life and to be loved and happy.
I have read this final book 4 times now, and have sobbed my way through the last chapters each time. Maybe I wear my heart on my sleeve too much, but the raw emotion that JKR has weaved into this story of a young boy's growth into a man has touched many, many,thousands of people across the world. I really cannot understand how detractors can be so damning. We can't all be wrong! Is it just "fashionable and ultra-cool" to knock what everybody else enjoys so much, or is it just reverse snobbery? If you don't like the books - then don't buy them! Personally, I am sad that the series has come to an end. I can understand why it needed to though, if JKR felt as much emotion writing about Harry, as we have felt whilst reading them, she would be very drained. I hope JKR reads these reviews as I would like to thank her for all the laughs and all the tears. You have touched many hearts. Thank you for Harry Potter.