5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and quite enlightening
Unlike the Cloudspotter's Guide, this book is less an almanac and more an instructional manual on all things "Wave". The cover of course has the waves breaking on a shore but the book encompasses everything that you could want to know about sound, light, radio and other electromagnetic waves, waves in the atmosphere, waves on rivers and of course waves at sea...
Published on 24 Jun 2010 by Big Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Not at all bad..
Published 10 months ago by chris haydon

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and quite enlightening, 24 Jun 2010
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Wavewatcher's Companion (Hardcover)

It would appear that the author started writing this book with the intention of gaining an all expenses paid surfing trip to Hawaii as "research" for a book on waves at sea. Well he got his wish but in the process turned his mind to how waves occur, where they occur and where they connect with humanity, from the devastation of the Indian Ocean Tsunami to the beauty of Claude Monet's paintings.

It is actually quite difficult to describe this book because it covers so many subjects dividing them up into easily digestible chunks, which makes it an ideal "dipping" book. It is written with verve and humour, and as the bibliography and acknowledgements attest, there was probably more proper research put into this book than the author originally intended.

It has certainly paid off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandpa went surfing, 14 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Wavewatcher's Companion (Hardcover)
I was interested in the book because my grandsons (8 and 12) had said that they wanted to teach me to bodysurf in Cornwall this summer.I felt that it was important to know a little more about waves and wave formation.The book was also an excellent read to pass the time while travelling the 350 miles down there.I ended up in buying a second copy for my grandsons too.I am certain that they will find it an excellent resource for their Physics revision later in their school work.It is an super book and should be on every secondary school library shelf.It covers so many aspects of waves that I challenge anyone not to find something of interest in this book.Yes I caught some waves and it was a super experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Etherial, 21 Oct 2011
M. Taplin "mikekoi" (Weston-super-Mare, England) - See all my reviews
I spent the most interesting part of my working life designing and maintaining electronic equipment from Radar to Radio's, Audio and TV etc. Everyone who has worked in these areas has to be aware of wave theory and resonance. We sit exams and are told we are qualified, yet wave theory is still a mystery. We know particular views of it so when this book came along I was intensely interested. Waves to me are an ongoing conversation. We see them in the sea in the clouds and in sand dunes. In rainbows and through diffraction gratings. This illustrated book gives a new perspective to an on going saga. if you are interested in wave phenomenon you will love this book, it has new (to me at least) information about atmospheric waves and goes on to describe many different forms of wave energy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not at all bad.., 11 Feb 2014
...but I have to score it average, although would give in an extra half star if that was possible. This is one of those books full of little factules that provide an interesting read that you can dip in and out of at leisure. Perhaps my problem is that due to my work and leisure interests a lot of the content was already known to me and so there were only a few surprises. Rather than a treatise on waves in the sea or even periodic waves in general, anything that has the word wave in it is considered. Thus we have tide waves, shock waves and mexican waves as well as traffic waves. It was good enough to hold my interest in at least half the book and for its price therefore I would not quibble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Informative, 11 Mar 2012
Another excellent book by the founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society. This time it is all about waves and makes the subject interesting and easy to understand (unlike many physics texts!) Gavin has a wonderful writing style and a quirky sense of humour. I can thoroughly recommend this book, and his others of course.
The Cloudspotter's Guide
The Cloud Collector's Handbook

3.0 out of 5 stars A Misleading Title, 20 Jan 2014
I think this book title is a little bit misleading as you automatically think it will be about ocean waves, in the same way the `The Cloudspotter's Guide' was all about clouds. However, it is about all the different types of wave that you can think of - x-ray, seismic etc. It was interesting and enjoyable but it did drag in places and I found myself becoming bored in places as information was repeated. Plenty of interesting images and diagrams to further explain what was happening and perfect for reading in small chunks with other books on the go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wavewatcher's Companion, 1 Jan 2013
Amazingly detailed and comprehensive in its scope, never boring. Even tricky explanations are enlivened by easy-to-understand analogies. Have already recommended it to our elder son who, with his rowing partner, entered the Guinness Book of World Records, being the first pair to row the North Pacific Ocean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 29 Nov 2012
James (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not sure I enjoyed this quite as much as the author's previous success, The Cloudspotter's Guide. Don't let that put you off, though: I REALLY enjoyed that one. This is another interesting jaunt through a wider field of interest, and on more than one occasion it left me reappraising how I thought the world worked.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wave Goodbye!, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Wavewatcher's Companion (Hardcover)
Having enjoyed his previous book 'The Cloudspotters Guide' I bought the latest offering expecting a book entirely about the sea as the jacket design implies. This clearly isn't. It bounces from one topic to another albeit 'wave' related and is in some areas, in an attempt to be humourous, it simply becomes flippant. Not what I expected or wanted and in the authors acknowledgements he states that it was a difficult book to write, it is as equally difficult to read! It will sit on the bookshelf next to the cloudspotters guide as a set but I doubt it will be brought down again.....My fault perhaps, next time I'll read the jacket notes in detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars WAVEY, 23 Feb 2013
GREAT BOOK TO DIP IN AND OUT. THOUGHT PROVOKING AND ENTERTAINING IN EQUAL MEASURE. CONSIDER READING IT ON A LONG TRAIN JOURNEY OR LONELY BEACH FOR ADDED EFFCT.

The Wavewatcher's Companion
The Wavewatcher's Companion by Gavin Pretor-Pinney (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2010)