Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2002
Ruby Holler has a blurb that actually turned me away a little bit, but once you start reading, you cannot put it down! Ruby holler is about two twins, Florida and Dallas, living in an orphanage run by the putrid (as Florida would put it) Trepids. Dallas and Florida have been there all their lives and never think they will find a proper family and that anyone who adopts them is a lunatic. Then Tiller and Sairy Morey come along...
Fantastic. This more than deserves five stars. An amazing read that will have you unable to put it down just for a second. Read it now!
on 27 July 2003
I came across this book through the Carnegie Medal Shadowing Scheme, in which I was in part of a group for my school. The book actually won the Carnegie Medal, which shows how good quality this book is.
Ruby Holler is recommended for people ages 11+.
Adults, do not be afraid to read this because you think it's a children's book - it's great.
My favourite book, over-ruling any Jacqueline Wilson books!
on 3 August 2003
This book is about two naughty young twins named Dallas and Florida who look set to stay in Boxton Creek Home forever with the 'putrid' Mr. and Mrs. Trepid until an old couple (Tiller and Sairy) foster them. Their home is a remote part of the country named Ruby Holler.
The twins settle in soon enough, and begin preparing for the separate journeys that the pensioners are planning to take them on.
But when they bump into Mr. Trepid again during a shopping trip and accidentally mention Tiller and Sairy's secret understone funds (boxes with money inside them, hidden in the holler), things start to get very complicated...
In my opinion, this book deserves plenty of praise. It is heartwarming, slightly comic and an entertaining read.
It reminds me of such classics including 'The Secret Garden' and 'A Little Princess' as it has a realistic yet 'fairytale' feel.
The only part of the book which one could suggest is unsatisfactory is the final chapter, as two aspects of the story are not concluded. Usually a story like this has a totally resolved ending and the rest of this book is traditional in narrative.
However, Sharon Creech (the author) is a deserved winner of the CILIP Carnegie Medal for this book.
on 29 November 2009
I'm on a bit of Sharon Creech 'binge' at the moment-and I have to say 'Ruby Holler' is faboulous!

The title comes from the red house, nestled in a quiet valley, where wayward twins Dallas and Florida come to stay after a long stint at the Boxton Creek children's home. Though, 'home' is a bit (OK, a lot) of a misnoma. Think Dickens and you'll get the idea.

Life with the Tillers couldn't be more different. It might even be perfect, but that doesn't stop Dallas and Florida stashing some money away just in case.
Turns out they aren't the only ones- but that's another story.

This is a story about learning to love and be loved. I hope you read it and enjoy it as much as I did/do.
on 18 May 2013
WOW I am 11 and this is the best book I have ever read.
I love the story line 'two naughty twins in an orphanage run by Mr and Mrs Trepid'.
So well written that I think that I am in the story sometimes.
I am quite picky about the books I like to read but as soon as I had read the first page I knew that I should keep on going and read on.I can't wait to read another one of her books.
on 19 January 2005
I would especially recommend it for people who work with difficult young people or young people who have been through a lot, as it helps you to see things from the young persons point of view, and how your actions may be (mis)interpreted.
It is also a really enjoyable read, and being a book aimed at Children isn't too difficult to read!
on 11 August 2012
Our daughter has read the book. She loved the complexity and intricacy of the story with its twists and turns. The story was not entirely to her taste but the quality of the structure of the book kept her going and will no doubt delight many others. Thank goodness for well structured books like this one.
on 7 September 2003
Ruby Holler is an enchanting, imaginetive story by the wonderful works of Sharon Creech. Everyone in are mother and daughter book club thought it was a delightful story about two twin children called Dallas and Florida who had been brought up in the Boxton creek home. The owners of the house are very cruel. Dallas and Florida go through many adventures with two people called Sairy and Tiller. Tiller and Sairy are an unusual couple. Dallas and Florida find that they are kind and trustworthy.
on 21 June 2011
I found this book very good. Great book, that grabs an orphan's emotions. I would definitely recommend this book, it's a great read and I hope you purchase it. -Sophie.
on 25 October 2011
Brought this book for my 10 year old daughter for her book club at school.
She really loved it,and couldn't put the book down.