TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 November 2013
A few years ago I watched An Inconvenient Truth where upon I suddenly felt quite guilty about being sat in a half empty aeroplane flying across the Atlantic Ocean. When I returned from my trip I bought this book and became a little more determined to do my dutiful bit to reduce man-made global warming.

The book is based on scientific facts and some theories about where we are heading, and therefore there are going to be people who think the world is going to end and the people who think that the theories are all wrong and that nothing could be further than the truth.

The book and show/presentation does paint a bit of a gloomy picture, but you do get a sense of "We better start paying attention to this". The book has not dated and it is still worth a read/view from time to time to remind us why we are recycling and trying to reduce our greenhouse gasses.

The book and show has not had a favourable response from all scientific communities and I think it may have faired better if it hadn't have been so heavy in the "End is nigh" vein. You have to remember that this book came about when the whole global warming theme was becoming a household name and so the majority of us needed to be brought into this gently so the book was a bit of a shock factor. You could argue that that is what was needed, but as my the saying goes "softly, softly, catchee monkey"

Now it is about 6 years on and we are mentally geared up to this and so the shock factor has worn off, but the realities are just the same.
I watched a documentary this week with Prof. Ian Stewart and, paraphrasing him, he said that we don't have to worry about the earth, it will heal, it has recovered after massive climatic disasters in the past. It is the human race that may not survive. I found that comment to be a bit more chilling!
on 8 September 2006
Being from an environmental research background, I strongly recommend "An Inconvenient Truth" as a good opener to the area of climate change. As a previous reviewer said, it's an easy and well-illustrated read and achieves the aim of putting across the most significant points in a way that should appeal to a wide audience. I also found the brief tangents regarding Al Gore's life and family set his whole passion for the subject in context and made it a more human piece of work rather than a didactic text. In addition, I don't believe it sets out to offer one solution to climate change. I agree it's a way more complex issue than can be solved by local action alone. However, what I see as this books objective is rather to prove to as many as possible that climate change IS happening and that there are ways we could be ameliorating the effects to the benefit of our and other species. We need many more people agreeing that this IS an area where we need to be acting and acting now before the big stuff that WILL make a difference (policy change etc.) will happen. A good, concise, well-written and interesting introduction to the topic.
on 2 August 2006
Al Gore's book will, I have no doubt, become the standard environmental work of reference for many years to come. It details in an easily accessible, non technical and heavily illustrated way the present environmental problems that humanity faces. In this publication a picture is really worth a thousand words and the words are all relevant. I have no hesitation whatsoever in highly recommending this book.
on 16 October 2006
If you consider yourself to be an 'expert' or 'near expert' on the issues of climate change then this books is not really for you.

It does however explain all the causes of environment change and how it will effect our planet.

The photographs are amazing - and show the changes that we can see in our environment over time. The graphs are clear and fasniating in themselves.

The book is (I am guessing) very much like the slide show he has gone around the world showing. It does often have only a few paragraphs on each page, but includes stunning pictures and graphics. For the reason, I managed to read the whole book in about four hours and I am quite a slow reader. That is why I say it is not for experts as the book doesn't really go into complex detail or go into length about the science of climate change.

However, for me it was a superb book. I am not a scientist. I don't want to read a peer reviewed book that someone has worked on for their PHd - I just wanted to know the facts in enough detail to be interesting without so much detail that it would be boring.

Average mere mortals like me - will love this book.
A great book with some fascinating information. The images and diagrams really make this book something else and Gore comes across as a dedicated guy with a very lucid writing style and compelling argument. It remains to be seen if we can act on this, and other pertinent info, to make the changes we need. Highly recommended if you're interested in climate change and want a good introduction or alternatively a beautifully presented book on the subject.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 2 July 2008
Al gore has done what many in World goverments are afaird to do and admit that Global Warming is actually happening and he is spot on when he says it's an Inconvenient Truth to many poliltians and companies.
This book might not go into to as much depth as some readers would like but i think Al Gore was attempting to reach out to everyone by not filling the book with lots of scientific jargon.
The photo's and their are many in this book, show what is happening to our world and no amount of written information can change what them photo's are proving, the world as we know it is changing.
If amazes me that people still think global warming is just a myth when their is so many books out their including this one that prove it's not.
This book is a intresting and compelling read and offers a distrubing insight into what awaits us if we fail to protect our only home, Planet Earth.
on 30 November 2009
This is not exactly an in depth overview and sometimes comes across as 'scientific propaganda' but nonetheless it serves as a good reminder for the things the human race needs to fight for.
on 1 December 2015
I was not aware that Al Gore was an Activist until I saw this book, It made good reading except for the printing very close to the binding, which is not good in any book.
on 14 October 2010
I have no quarrel with Gore's central premise that anthropogenic climate change is no longer an esoteric curiosity but a planetary emergency requiring an immediate response by all the nations of the world. However, I do have a few gripes about his treatment of the subject.

An Inconvenient Truth is not so much a book as a PowerPoint presentation on steroids. There can be little argument that the photographs are lavish and the pages glossy; but the book consists mostly of a tidal wave of assertions punctuated by personal anecdote leading, in my view, to two significant problems:

1. Superficiality - Although the science broadly supports Gore's arguments and assertions, his declarations make little or no reference to original scientific discoveries, papers or empirical evidence and the result is little more than an argument from authority. This is a shame, because Gore misses the opportunity to engage the layman in a more detailed exploration of the climate change issue by directing interested readers to reputable (and accessible) science.

2. Presentation - superficiality coupled with luxurious presentation results in a product that is a triumph of style over substance: notwithstanding the publication's FSC accreditation, it does not appear to have been printed on recycled paper, despite the fact that Gore himself points out the reduction in energy consumption of using recycled paper (p.315)! Moreover, the glossy, magazine style of the page production has resulted in a weighty tome of over 880g making it heavy, unwieldy and almost impossible to read in low light (for my poor old eyes anyway). On a less substantive but undoubtedly related note, I found myself increasingly irritated with the gratuitous use of different font sizes and colours.

Nonetheless, on reflection, I find myself compelled to recommend this book as an introduction to climate change. Many people adopt a pragmatic approach to science: where it is complicated or abstruse most non-scientists are prepared to accept assertions based on the scale of scientific consensus and the balance of evidence. Adopting such an attitude allows this book to introduce readers to the scale of the climate change problem without overburdening them with a raft of technical detail. This is something that Gore (as a politician) does extremely well: reducing difficult issues to simple sound bites can make complex subjects accessible and engage society in the wider debate about environmental issues.

Al Gore is obviously a passionate champion of the environment and has done much through publication of this book (and the resultant film) to raise awareness of climate change. It is worth your time if you want a gentle introduction to the subject of global warming: however, if you want something a bit more substantive, try The Rough Guide to Climate Change by Robert Henson.
on 30 November 2006
I have read a previous book by Al Gore - Earth in The Balance as a set book for a University course on the environment in 1997. I found that an excellent, informative read and I still have it. This latest book of his puts down all the information succinctly, and in a way that it can be read in a couple of hours but digested on for days. For many people who find science daunting this will be a superb eye-opener for them and introduce them to the awful problems facing this planet. It will be useful for energising people into lobbying governments for change and for educating the public at large to take full personal responsibility for their own impact on our world's fragile environment.