Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 February 2010
At the house of the Magician is the first historical novel in a series about about an Elizabethian girl called Lucy who works in the house of the magical Dr Dee. Lucy in the book is very belivable,which I feel is important in a book. It gives you lots of Information about Queen Elizabeth I and the historical detail is simple and clear, if there is any historical words you don't understand you can simply look them up in the back of the book, which is a nice touch. This think this book is a brilliant quick read for teenagers, who like historical fantasy.
on 21 October 2007
This is the story of rather nosy Lucy, who finds herself in the household of the odd and pre-occupied Dr Dee, the court magician. It's a little bit scary, a little bit magical, and a little bit romantic, too. Enjoy the simple historical detail, and the meeting with Elizabeth the First. The story happens quickly and is full of surprises.
on 9 March 2013
Lucy escapes her poor village and drunk abusive father in search of work and money to provide her mother with a better way of life. This story follows her in seeking employment and then the adventures and events that surround her when her luck turns, and she finds herself employed by the somewhat mysterious Dr Dee.

At the House of the Magician is an historical fiction with some supernatural aspects revolving around Lucy, the protagonist of the novel. I think that most of the historical aspects seemed believable; set during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, the troubles between the monarch and Mary Queen of Scots is briefly discussed and the grandure of the palace and the queens clothes are described in great detail. At the end of the book, after the end of the story itself, the author provides some background to the history and the setting of the novel and I think that this makes it a lot more believable and helps, in hindsight, to establish the way of life of the inhabitants of Elizabethan England.

To me, the plot was quite slow and not much happened until the end of the novel. Although at first this was quite disappointing, I soon found out that there is also a sequel which may have played a part in the reasoning behind giving this story such an abrupt ending.

Lucy, the main character, is quite interesting and the reader gets to learn quite a lot about her background and family, as well as her adventurous side which is explored more as the story develops. Some of the side characters were not very well developed and I found that this led to some of them being insignificant to the story but this may change in the sequel, which I plan to read at some point in the future. I really like the character of Mistress Midge because her bad temper and her attitude added some comedic aspects to the book. I also really liked Tomas, the court fool, as I thought there was aspects of romantic tension between him and the protagonist which I hope will be explored in the second instalment of the series.

The writing was very simple and easy to understand. This meant that although, at first, I found the novel difficult to get into, it became a quick read, having only 228 pages. Also, the lettering is quite large on the page which made it a lot quicker. I like that the author included some words that are not used nowadays, but were used when the story is set, as this makes it a lot more believable and I like that a glossary was provided at the back of the book so you could look up the meanings for some of these disused words.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed with this book as I expected a lot more adventure and mystery than there was, but again, this may be addressed in the sequel. Also, having read the book, I have decided that I do not really liked the cover as I believe that a cover, if it shows a person, should show the protagonist. In this case, Lucy is said to have dark eyes and brown hair, whereas the photograph on the cover is fair-haired and has blue eyes. Considering my opinions of the book overall, I would give this 3 out of 5 stars but am intrigued to see if the second installment of the series develops the storyline better than this one so far.
on 14 February 2016
Interesting YA or Middle School read about a girl (no age given) who takes up place as a nurse in the household of John Dee, adviser and magician for Queen Elizabeth I. Simply written with an intriguing plot and a touch of the paranormal. Well written historically. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the series!
on 7 May 2013
The style of writing of Mary Hooper always draws me in. I finish the books very quickly. This is book is full suspense
on 25 March 2013
Excellent author, well written and a really good read for a confident twelve year old reader. Other books by the same author have been good too.
on 26 September 2007
I really like Mary Hooper's historical novels. I started off by reading her Megan books, and they were great, but I think the historicals are even better. The best part is they are about real people. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.
on 7 March 2016
A great book. It's so sweet and innocent, the romance made me smile.
on 7 October 2007
I absaloutly love this book! Once i have finnished it i am going to read it lots and lots more times because i think that they have so much detail and feeling just like the authors other books especailly the 'Megan' Series which i know around 20 peopl who have read it and have recommeneded it to other people. I recommend this new book to anyone who wants to a book that they can't put down and isn't boring!

The author is amzing and anyone reading this reveiw has to buy the book!
66 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2014