5.0 out of 5 stars Really wonderful uses for homegrown vegetables - and even bought ones
I bought this book because my husband gardens enthusiastically by Sarah Raven's The Great Vegetable Plot, a present from his daughter.

I have a lot of cookery books on my shelves. But having just browsed through Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook, I can tell you at once that I will be using this book often. Some of her recipes I have already used; she is generous...
Published on 13 Jun 2007 by Mme Judith Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely book but ...
I think this book looks great and has some interesting information about fruit and veg. However, the recipes I have tried were not good at all. The leek tart had too much cream in it and I ruined the beautiful kale I had been given but adding 1 tablespoon of sugar to the pan! What a disaster that was!I read it again, yes, it did say 1 tablespoon of sugar. I am now very...
Published on 18 Jan 2012 by Cha Cha

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one cookbook make it this one!, 5 Jun 2008
C. Lewis "Avid cook" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
I was given this book as a gift and since then I have bought it for three friends. It really is the best cookbook on by shelf.

I have not made one recipe from it that did not turn out fantastically well - and there's a fantastic combination of modern and old fashioned recipes, quick and easy and more complicated meals.

I don't have a garden or an aga or a double oven or any fancy cooking equipment and it is quite usable for the urban cook! There are so many brilliant recipes that it would be quite possible to cook just from this book all year long.

Also the book is so pretty, brightly coloured with two bookmark ribbons that it makes an ideal gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 4 Sep 2009
Mrs. Louise Mckay "Bookworm" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
A great book to keep at hand in the kitchen for those moments when you're either seeking inspiration for something new or whether wondering what to do with a glut of garden produce. I originally obtained a copy from my local library but found I was constantly dipping into it on an almost daily basis and needed my own copy. Although I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, I've only awarded it four stars because in my opinion it is way over priced (RRP £30). Fortunately, good old Amazon came up trumps with a more realistic price. The book itself is well presented with beautiful photographs and the page markers are an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically inspirational book, 9 Feb 2012
Ms. Julie R. Mountain "Jules M" (Winchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
Bought this for my sis, who gained an allotment lsat year. I saw it at a friend's house (she's also an allotment owner) and she made us the most fabulous greek courgette and feta dish. The book focuses on recipes that will take up the inevitable gluts you get as a veggie grower so for example there were four or five courgette recipes, and all sounded gorgeous. The recipes are also 'proper' ones - i.e. not soup, which I think is a recipe book cop out 'cos anybody can make veggie soup. What we need are new, different and tasty ways to use up veggies. This book is perfect for allotmenters or keen veggie gardeners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this book after looking through it whilst staying with a friend. It has lovely, simple recipes using seasonal produce. If you are looking for inspiration in cooking and eating vegetables and making the most of your own vegetable patch, this book is a joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eating for Health, 15 April 2009
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love books that inspire me and being a keen vegetable grower and cook, any book that combines both is likely to catch my attention! So when I came across Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook last week, I knew I'd found a winner.

Filled with photos of appetising food and colourful gardens, the author and TV presenter shares both her extensive gardening knowledge and passion for cooking fresh ingredients from her own garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only cookbook you need?, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this for a friend (I bought my own copy last year) who grows lots of veg, but who never knows what to do when the inevitable overproduction takes hold. There are loads of recipes for most types of veg, conveniently sorted into seasons of the year. So when you have a glut of courgettes or runner beans or tomatoes or kale or whatever else you grow, you'll find a variety of fresh new ways to cook and serve them.

Outstanding photography and an easy, chatty style make this book extremely user-friendly. It's also beautifully printed and bound. It has changed mealtimes forever in our house.

This isn't a book aimed at vegetarians (although they would relish it) it's a book for anyone who enjoys vegetables, but would like to be able to enjoy them in new ways. Money well spent in my view.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Gem, 17 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
For those who grow their own garden produce this book is high amongst the 'must haves'. Interesting and unsual recipes abound as well as excellent standards suce as 'Rich Tomato Sauce', a real help during the glut of Tomatoes this summer and Roast Beetroot Soup, that is so different and tasty.

It is helpful to have the recipes arranged in months, using what should be plentiful at the right time of the year, a bit of a challenge if you live in the south of France where I first encounterd this book, but a boon for anyone who enjoys cooking from scratch. Come to think of it you do not need your own garden, just access to year round fresh fruit and veg and perhaps the aspiration to grow your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook, 27 Dec 2009
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
This book was bought as a present and the recipient was extremely pleased with it. I was very impressed with the quickness of delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - great for seasonal information on food., 1 Jun 2009
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book if you want to learn about seasonal food and how to cook it. The book is well thought out, and is divided into months from January through to December. For every month it takes the first vegetable/fruit (in alphabetical order) and gives a page of information on it, followed by several recipes to use it in. It's a simple format, but it works perfectly. The recipes themselves are pretty simple - so if you're looking for a gourmet cook book, then this isn't for you (Try Gordon Ramsay for that). But if you're looking to go back to basics, and really understand the food that you can produce in your own garden, and when to eat it, then I recommend this one highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (Hardcover)
My last encounter with a book that purported to take a seasonal approach was with a rather dated tome that gave summer vegetable recipes in the December section because 'now with the great selection of produce available in supermarkets there is no need to deprive ourselves'...

I needn't have worried. The book is separated into two-monthly sections with the recipes being laid out according to each fruit or vegetable that makes up the main ingredient of the recipe concerned. This means that if you stray into the next month with your glut of carrots, for instance, you can keep looking in the carrot section for recipes, instead of trying to find them in the November section, for instance.

Within the book are a vast array of recipes that will boggle your mind. I found the book rather overwhelming at first because of the sheer number of recipes, however once I appreciated that the best way to approach it was to just look at one vegetable at a time, it became less daunting.

I've found this book to be one of the most useful in my collection. Setting it out by vegetable instead of the usual starter - main - dessert layout is incredibly helpful. It also has introduced me to a number of ideas that I might not otherwise have considered.

My only criticism is that the author appears to love double cream to such an extent that leaving it out of a recipe is not something she does willingly!

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook
Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook by Sarah Raven (Hardcover - 4 Jun 2007)