Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 December 2006
Well written page turner from Gary Barlow. This book is a real eye opener, I had always assumed that Gary was the boring one but NOT SO this book is full of gossip and revelations on Take That's rise to glory.

His comments on his Manager, Nigel Martin-Smith are absolutely hilarious! Gary has such a great sense of humour.

He talks about his personal life and his public life in a very honest way, the book includes some wonderful photos for Take That fans. Gary is not afraid to admit his faults along the way and I admire his honesty.

It is clear he is a committed family man and they in turn are totally devoted to him.

This book deals with his feelings about the current Take That revival which is proving to be a massive success.

Recommended reading - LONG OVERDUE FOR TAKE THAT FANS
on 8 June 2007
Admittedly I do have a bit of a soft spot for Gary Barlow, but this has only been since take that's 'rebirth' last year, as I was too young to appreciate the band the first time around. Yet that doesn't matter if you are a fan or not.

This book not only takes you on a tour of the bands highs and lows but the personal hurdles Gary has overcome too; good and bad.

I found myself smiling along with him, laughing with him, bracing myself during the tough moments...and when I came to the last page I didn't want it to end.

To sum, it has made me appreciate Gary Barlow as a song writer and a singer, as a performer and a band member, he is a marvel who desreves everything he has worked so hard for.
on 9 November 2006
I have to say what a thoroughly enjoyable read this book was. Although I was never a take that fan back in the 90's I was fascinated to read Gary's side of events after seeing him on Jonathan Ross, and also after watching the Take That Documentary at the end of last Year.

The book is an honest account of how things were in the Take That days, and the eventful lives they all lived at that time. Gary is also not frightened of highlighting mistakes he made and reflecting on how his actions may have led to some of the animosity between him and other band members.

It is very informative and a fascinating read. It is clear from reading the book that Gary is a very well grounded lad (which is understandable when you read about his early days performing on his organ in small working mens clubs) and although he likes his extravagances (Cheshires answer to Elton John...by his own admission!!) he truely has a well balanced understanding of the important things in life.

You can't help but warm to the guy and empathise with the struggle he went through after the break up of Take That, and the way the media tried their best to destroy him.

He has a very refreshing attitude to all that has gone on, good and bad in his life, and you get a real sense that writing the book has helped him to face his demons and finally put the past behind him.

A great read
on 6 January 2007
All I ever knew about Gary Barlow, was that he was the lead singer and songwriter in Take That, and that apparently he and Robbie Williams never got on. However, after reading this book I feel like I know everything about his life.

Gary has written this book so brilliantly and so honestly. He admits his mistakes and is honest about the people he works with. I couldn't put this book down and read it in less thank 2 weeks.

Gary leads us through his life and describes every event so well. When you read about how his life was after Take That split up, and how Robbie and the press tried so well to break him, it brings a tear to your eye.

There are also some halarious moments, where I had to put the book down and grab a tissue to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. This has got to be the best book I have ever read and I enjoyed reading it so much.

Gary also ends the book superbly with the last chapter, which is a real shock, quite unbelievable. He describes this last event so fantastically and once again, it brings a tear to your eye.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves Gary Barlow, or just Take That.

Gary Barlow is a genius!!
on 6 February 2007
What a wonderful autobiography. Thoroughly enjoyable read filled with heartfelt and emotional accounts of Gary's time before, during and after Take That. I couldn't put this book down. A must for any Take That fan.
on 8 June 2007

To sum, it has made me appreciate Gary Barlow as a song writer and a singer, as a performer and a band member, he is a marvel who deserves everything he has worked so hard for.
on 1 March 2007
I loved this book because I love Take That's music, shows and videos. I read the whole book in two days because I wanted to know what happened next. Gary's had an interesting life, and it was fascinating reading - even the bits about his life out of the band.

The only criticism I would make is that it does list rather a lot of names and dates, and doesn't really dish the gossip as much as I'd like (or maybe that's just me!) - I was left still wanting to know more about the way the band-members got along together, and what they were all like. I suppose Gary's too diplomatic to spill too many beans!
on 10 June 2007
well ive longed for the truth for over 10 years about what went on in the life of take that, and thankfully to gary i now know.you cant put this book down as every page you turn has the exitement in your body boiling,its in some points shocking to hear of the tourment from THAT 5th member and how he tried to destroy gary, its interesting to know about how he started out in local clubs at a very earlie age and then how he come to meet nigel martin smith and the birth of the band. ive followed TT since day 1, and all the stuff what was wrote about them years ago was mainly lies, this book will tell you the truth, the highs, the low,the tours, basically everything a die hard TT/gary barlow fan needs to know

but garys an amazing bloke/singer/songwriter, and to pull off the reunion/comeback off the year and release #1 hits after all this time, just proves how much people like me have missed these blokes, and how really talented they all are in the own individual special way. WELCOME BACK BOYS WE HAVE MISSED YOU.
on 2 January 2007
Who was the only artist to have ten UK number ones in the 90's? Thats right it was Gary Barlow the song writing genius behind the best British band since The Beatles. If you are a fan of the group and Barlow you probably will know most of his story but it is still an interesting read.

The book is packed with great stories and anecdotes from his time before, during and after the band and I couldnt put the book down.

Obviously he speaks in great detail about his relationships with Nigel Martin Smith and Robbie Williams and most of what he writes is what you'd expect him to say.

Barlow comes accross as a top guy who deserves to be in the spotlight again. I'm delighted Take That are back at the top of the music pile and it proves you can never write off a guy with as much talent as Gary Barlow. An absaloute must for Take That and Barlow fans.
on 9 July 2011
I was never a take that fan back in 90s i was to old ! i had alot of friends that were younger than me and really ino take that , I was and still am a Madonna fan . I did like some of thier songs but would never say to anyone . they were abit like telling everyone that you liked jason and kylie ! (i did !) anyway back then i always had a thing for gary , you could keep them all for me , it was always gary ! . big soft spot for him .i did however like robbie when he became bigger than take that were 1st time around . fastward to 2010 and with the band and Robbie getting back together i have taken some wont of an interest in take that again , they have grown into themselfs and have grown up so much! all 5 men now ! I went to see them in sunderland , and wow what a show they all put on !i decided to read this ,it took me less then 48 hours to read the fastest i have read a book in a long time ! i could not put this down !It is the 1st non fiction book i have ever read .its very honest and real account as to how he seen things at the time when take that were a 5 boyband and how they became to be no more (until 2005 )all his flaws and how selfish he could be on garys side which he didnt see at the time but now looking back and can see as to why it went so wrong with the group how he could of looked after the youngest memeber of the band that little bit more . his life after the split , and how all doors that were open before hand slammed in his face ! how he and his family had to move to the USA because of the way the press and record labels said they did not want to work with him , and how they made him feel at the time .He had some very dark years, his love for his family and his songwriting kept him strong . to be honest i hope that people that slammed the doors on this guy are regretting this to this day he is a very talented song writer . makes me glad im normal! lol!some laughs and some real mos when your heart really gos out to this man ! a great read enjoy! I did .