5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
After buying this book for friends' kids aged 3 and 4, I bought this for some older kids (age 7 and 9). But then I thought that they were too old for it. I shouldn't have worried.

The kids loved it and and competed to see how many poems they could recite on their own. And by the end of the week we were ALL saying "Don't! Don't! Don't do that!"...
Published on 3 Sep 2008 by A. Dombey

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
I'm not sure about this book for the age group it seems to be targeted for.
I bought it for my grandson, a bright and imaginative 5 year old, and luckily I read it beforehand.
Many of the poems are very "dark" and scary, intentionally so, and for a sensitive child quite frightening.
I decided to keep it for a while until he might grow into it!
Some...
Published on 8 Feb 2009 by M. A. Dineley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Sep 2008
A. Dombey (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mustard, Custard, Grumble Belly and Gravy (Bloomsbury Paperbacks) (Paperback)

Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't put Mustard in the Custard, 2 Dec 2007
nobit (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is my 3yr old son's favourite book. The child rhyming is brilliant. He reads them to us now !This has been the best book we have bought, education wise. Since reading this to him he constantly says a word and then finds a word to rhyme with it. Full of child like humour that keeps him giggling.
Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of pleasure, 11 Aug 2010
My 10 year old grandson has Autism and he just loves this book and CD, he has spent many happy hours listening and repeating the poems. very amusing

5.0 out of 5 stars Had the children in fits of giggles, 13 Oct 2010
It took me some time to get around to reading these poems to my children, aged 4, 7 and 9 but when I did it led to one of those wonderful moments to savour for ever with all three children rolling around in fits of uncontrollable giggles, as I read, over, and over, and over, the ones that made them laugh. And then we went and put on the CD, and it was even funnier. I didn't find it that funny on my own, but they just guffawed.

It appeals to the child's sense of absurd, to their funny bone, pure and simply. Anything that can make a child laugh that much has got to be worth its weight in gold. I'm not going to tell you whats funny, because I can't. Any attempt to distill it wouldn't be funny. However, it is the combination of the words and the illustrations, that's for sure. I've just bought 10 copies to give as the ten birthday presents for any child-like age. There are one or two sad or slightly spooky poems, and while they are great as far as poetry goes, we have focussed purely on the funny ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally brilliant, 8 Sep 2012
I bought this for my 5-yr-old granddaughter and family to take with them on holiday. I hoped they would enjoy listening to the CD and looking at the book during their long car journey. This indeed proved to be the case - my granddaughter (and her father!) can now recite a number of the verses by heart, and the book is permanently off the shelf in her bedroom. We all love this book. Thank you, Michael Rosen and Quentin Blake.

5.0 out of 5 stars He's a genius, 21 Jun 2011
Michael Rosen is simply a genius. How can he access so perfectly what it feels like to be a child? If ever I feel that poets are a bit self-important, all I have to do is read something by Michael Rosen and my wonder at a man's creativity returns. I took it out of the library, stuck on the CD while the kids read along, and soon they were all able to recite it pretty much verbatim - including the English accent of the reader (that would be Michael)! (We're Irish!) We had to give it back to the library eventually but I am buying a copy for them. "Keith's Cupboard" - sometimes I do the voice of Keith's Mum for their amusement (it's the way she says "Keith! Keith!" that we love); then there's the one about the fly in the digital watch, and of course the meditative one about sucking on the sponge in the bathroom whilst daydreaming...And that's all before we've mentioned Quentin Blake's perfect, and perfectly inspired drawings. It's two years now since we borrowed it from the library (don't worry, we gave it back ages ago) and the kids can still recite half of the poems by heart, spontaneously. They are 21, 19 and 17 (joke)- they're now 11, 9 and nearly 7. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant collection of poetry for children and adults who remember being children!, 15 Mar 2013
Mrs. J. A. Dervish "Josephine" (Woburn Sands, UK) - See all my reviews
I teach poetry to primary age kids and this, along with Michael Rosen's other works makes my job so much easier and more fun. The children literally beg for Mr Rosen's poems. He has the ability to speak as an adult to children without talking down or patronising in any way. His poem's are sometimes fantastical, often about ever day events that children can really relate to. All written with tenderness, comic timing (these are SO good spoken aloud), humour and elf-deprecation. Can't recommend these books highly enough, particularly if you have a reluctant reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young and old, 21 Mar 2012
My son loves both the book and cd. Lots of laughs for both of us. I have bought extra copies to give to his friends for birthday presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Oct 2010
I bought this when the author Michael Rosen visited my son's school. My two boys are 4 and 5 1/2, and they LOVE his poems, and can both recite three or four of them. They sit and listen to the CD of the book (included) over and over and it is just lovely to see and hear them appreciate poetry at such a young age. It's also a great book for grown ups, a joy to read to your children. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childrens entertainment, 7 Jun 2010
Ms. G. Nash (Surrey/UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 4 year old grandson to ammuse him in the car as my three children loved it when they where young and what a brilliant buy you get a lovely book plus an audio CD to listen to ,all the poems are read by Michael Rosen I am going to buy this again and put it away till a birthday appears!! amazing value my grandson loves it and we now know some of the poems off by heart and say them along with Mr Rosen I recommend anyone to buy this its fabulous..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mustard, Custard, Grumble Belly and Gravy (Bloomsbury Paperbacks)
6.29