5.0 out of 5 stars Sinister psychological thriller
Published on 29 Dec. 2009 by Alison

3.0 out of 5 stars rather extreme.
This book started off well but went downhill as it progressed. There was too much toing and froing between chapters.
Published 14 months ago by Megan Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Sinister psychological thriller, 29 Dec. 2009
Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nina Todd Has Gone (Hardcover)
This is the third Lesley Glaister book that I've read this year and the third that I've really enjoyed. Straight away this book has a sinister feel which progressively increases throughout. The characters are well portrayed and each chapter varies from the perspective of the two main characters as well as brief chapters which flashback to earlier events. At the top of each chapter there is a symbol which denotes which viewpoint the chapter is written from - it's slightly confusing to start with but that just adds to the atmosphere of unease.

I don't want to add any spoilers to this review, so I'll be careful what I say, but I did think it was interesting how Glaister makes you feel about certain characters. Since discovering her writing, I continue to be surprised that Glaister isn't much more well known in the UK. It's great to find a British author who writes psychological thrillers that are so compelling without being filled with gratuitous violence. In "Nina Todd has Gone" Glaister has produced another high quality book that I would highly recommend if you enjoy thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Lesley Glaister Has Gone'... and triumphed again. A delightfully exciting book., 24 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Nina Todd Has Gone (Hardcover)
As an fan of Glaister's writing I was very pleased not to be disappointed with this, her latest read. It's an easy enough book to read, but what it explores is deep and complex: who are we? What is identity? None of the characters are quite what they seem at first and the more you read the more the layers unravel.

It's actually quite terrifying at times especially towards the end, but also rather funny too. There's a great scene with a drunken budgie, and some of the minor characters are hilarious and well-observed.

Nina Todd herself is such a great creation. I found myself cringing and wincing at many of her social faux-pas, but then rooting for her, then being furious with her, then laughing at her, then crying for her.

I really can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defines the term 'page turner', 21 May 2007
P. Williams (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nina Todd Has Gone (Hardcover)
With three young children and a busy job, I shamefully still found the time to read this book in only 3 days. My first Lesley Glaister book but certainly not my last, I found this book just incredible. The story is utterly compelling from the first to the last page but what really makes this book so special is the way that the action unfolds through the thoughts of the different characters - brilliantly done. A highly recommended read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Secrets and excuses past and present, 3 May 2013
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Nina Todd meets Rupert,' the most handsome man she has ever seen in real life,' while attending a work training course. She returns home to her boyfriend Charlie, her office job and hopes to leave her indiscretion at the hotel and return to her normal life. Unfortunately Rupert wants more....

Nina Todd has Gone is a slow burning psychological thriller. From the flashbacks in between the chapters we learn more about Nina's early life, and in turn Rupert's early life as well as his current thoughts. These narratives slowly reveal more about Nina, Rupert as well as Charlie, Charlie's mother and his reclusive brother Dave.

I find it hard to say whether I liked Nina's character, I couldn't truly sympathise with her as Lesley Glaister cleverly feeds us the consequences of her actions reflected by Rupert and Charlie.

This is ultimately a book about who is good, who is right and none of the characters were. If you like endings that wrap up neatly and tie everything in a bow this is not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glaister - A Ripping Good Thriller, 16 July 2010
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nina Todd Has Gone (Hardcover)
This is the first book I have read by Lesley Glaister and a ripping good read.

The title of the book is so apt, as you get to find out who and what Nina Todd was/is but all done in a such a way that makes you think. Was it all her doing? Has Rupert now got his revenge? If so, what for and why?

A definite psychological thriller, that keeps you wanting to read the next chapter to find out what happens. all I can say is that the climax is every bit as good as the first chapter .... on a scale of 1-10 ... 10.

I really don't want to give away any story lines as you have to read it to understand just what a good writer Lesley Glaister is, as the main character is so life like, you can actually visualise her as a person you could meet in the street or at work. That is what Glaister does here, brings the ordinary together with the disturbed mind for a gripping, thrilling read.

I enjoyed this book so much that am now looking at any other of her works.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great page turning psychological thriller, 23 Nov. 2012
markr - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nina Todd Has Gone (Hardcover)
I just couldn't put this down - this is a real page turner of a psychological thriller, which explores whether anyone can be wholly good, and which shows how chance events can utterly change lives.

I am really glad that I have recently discovered Lesley Glaister's novels - they are great stories, and this was the most exciting novel i have read in quite a long time. Off to order another one now!

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Nina Todd Has Gone (Paperback)
This is the only book that i have read by Lesley Glaister and thought it was brilliant. I would recommend this book to readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth persevering!, 7 Aug. 2013
Took a while to get into this unusual story, which has chapters written from the perspective of different characters. However it kept my interest to the final page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good writing style, 31 May 2013
I like nothing better than a good psychological thriller involving ordinary people (or so the outside world think) with an extraordinary dark side. This one fitted the bill nicely. I admire Lesley Glaisters style of writing and I liked the way in which she introduced the two main characters allowing their back stories to gradually trickle through as the book progressed. I thought the ending could have been better though and the book finished too abruptly but apart from that, I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Nina Todd Has Gone (Paperback)
A terrific read, a real page-turner, and one of Lesley Glaister's best novels. This is a psychological thriller, quite creepy in parts. From the very beginning Glaister makes you really care about Nina Todd, and all the way through you're crossing your fingers that everything will turn out okay for her in the end. Does it? You'll just have to read it and see!

Nina Todd Has Gone
Nina Todd Has Gone by Lesley Glaister (Hardcover - 7 May 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01