Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 21 February 2008
What a delightful, beautifully presented timeless book; aimed at people who have an appreciation for their surroundings and the finer things in life. These girls have been camping since they were children and as such are an authority on how to camp contentedly and in style.
A cursory glance at this book makes it patently clear that it is aimed at a certain audience, families, groups of friends and couples. I don't know of another book that fills this niche so beautifully. I have only slight interest in outdoor manuals that tell you what equipment to buy, you can get all that kind of info off the internet anyway. The Happy Campers is a book that you will want to keep going back to, it is really so joyful.
We presume reviewer W.J Pye thinks this book is for backpackers, perhaps that is why he scored it so poorly and enthused about Chris Townsend's "The Backpacker's Handbook" the well known authority on desert hiking and how to ford rivers safely. Deserts...!!!??? Give me a break!It never stops raining here why would I need that. And how odd of Pye to want to review a book and score it a zero. Who could be bothered?
And to imply that all other reviews were written by friends is rather insulting to the opinions of others.
on 14 June 2007
Ignore the previous review, if he is recommending a backpacker's handbook then this book wouldnt be any good to him anyway as its not about backpacking. This book is fantastic (and i know i wont do it any justice), it has great hints and tips about camping and the recipies are great! this book proves that camping can be a luxury getaway with friends and family, its great to hear about other peoples tales and stories about their experiences of camping and just shows thats its not all about plastic cutlery, paper plates and damp sleeping bags! give this book a go and you WONT be disappointed.
on 4 May 2007
Hello ! I just had to order this book asap after I got hold of it in my lovely local library. I went in looking for a camping book as Im a single mum and wanted to get some confidence in taking my 7 and 9 yr old away camping for the first time. This book has been my little confidence boosting friend overnight !!!!!!I cannot wait to go and am buying my tent today without the kids knowing and we are off on SUNDAY !!! wish me luck X get it, its brill, go camping its brill ! life is brill !!! sorry overdone it a bit now , BYE X
on 24 April 2007
If you like camping - buy this book. But more importantly, if you don't like camping, buy this book. It will make even the biggest 'anticampers' want to pack & pitch. Planning our first camping trip of the year with our 3 year old who's already hooked and introducing our 5month old to the delights. This book will be the first thing packed. we love it!
on 29 March 2007
Camping with style, great tips, the recipes are simply out of this world. The book for campers without a doubt.... and for those that never trusted themselves. It is just an all rounder. The combination of fantastic practical tips, great locations and enticing photos makes it also a great read. Definitely worth a purchase.
on 12 April 2007
What a fun book! Here's the story of a group of friends and their experiences, gathered while frolicking in the great outdoors. Tess and Kat manage to bring together good practical advice, yummy recipes, tips, tricks and games in a beautifully illustrated book. The photos have a special quality to them that makes them timeless, sunny, funny. If you've gone camping before you'll recognize yourself in many of the captured moments, if you haven't you'll feel like going. Pay special attention to the cloud map (my favourite) and trees, flowers, stars, and butterflies illustrations as they'll add an extra layer of sweetness to your days in the open air. What more can I say? A great present to yourself or a special someone else, a cookbook for the soul. Order it, read it, be inspired, turn off the computer, get out and enjoy the sun!
on 23 June 2007
I confess - 'wasn't 100% sure about this book when I first heard about it as it sounded as if it might be a case of 'style over substance'. How wrong I was! This really is a great read, one I can't recommend highly enough (and I'm not easily pleased) and I was shocked by the earlier reviewed who only rated it one star. This is a practical, funny, helpful & truly inspirational read - in fact, on the basis of this book I have bought a tent and am planning my first camping trip, with two small children & husband in tow. And d'you know what? I can't wait. Buy it and ignore the bah humbugs.....
on 30 March 2007
I can't tell you how much I adore this book! It's the book we've been waiting for about camping for years. The authors have clearly compiled this book with love and a passion for camping that is as infectious as a giggle! Beautiflly illustrated with their own photographs of their family and camping friends and crammed full of useful hints and tips to make your few days under canvas go with style, ease and a lot of fun. (My personal favorite tip is the coat hanger toaster, so simple and yes, it really does work!)

Buy this book, buy a tent and off you go!
on 25 March 2011
This book really aims to make your camping experience a comfortable one. The authors write with a real enthusiasm, and having great experience with camping holidays provide really useful hints and tips. The lists of what to take I found really useful when planning our camping trip last year. As previous reviewers have stated this isn't aimed at backpackers, its aimed at friends, or families going camping. There are some really good recipies, ideas for games, and a great section on what to do if it rains. Which of course will probably happen at some stage on a british camping holiday!
on 6 September 2012
This book is a must if you have a hidden hippy lurking somewhere inside you.

It has some pretty impractical advice (how many of us have sheepskins lying aroung these days, to make comfy beds, or to sleep on the beach), but mainly it conjures the spirit of the camp fire & times past when life was simpler.

There are loads of really good old fashioned advice and games to entertain the kids, lovely recipes, but more than anything it just makes you want to get the tent out.

I first borrowed this from a friend and then had to have it myself!