5.0 out of 5 stars A great story.
I love this book! It's style is very simple, but somehow it holds you from beginning to end. It's basically three stories taking place in three different times all in one book. All three are beautifully intertwined.
Published on 7 Jan. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story
I am in year 9 and I have read Holes by Louis Sahar. It is about a boy called Stanley. He steals some trainers and it is set in a stranded desert. I read it in March 2012.

This book is for kids aged 10- 15 years old and Stanley is the main character in it. Stanley has curly hair, he is quite tall he is about and he does loads of things he shouldn't do! When...
Published on 1 Nov. 2012 by BSSFC

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story., 7 Jan. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
The main story is about a very unlucky boy called Stanley Yelnats (notice the palindrome?) who is sent to a detention camp for a crime he didn't commit. Every day he has to dig a large hole, under the blazing Texas sun, without much water. He is told that it is character-building, but he soon realises that the camp owner is searching for something hidden in the dried-up lake-bed. Stanley finds tiny clues along the way and eventually works out why he and the other boys are being made to dig every day, and how this ties in with his own family's past, and future.
This is a fantastic story and very well-written book. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 16 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
I read this as an adult and really enjoyed it, I would say its a fast and fun read and if you're an adult looking to get a present for anyone from 10 - 14/15 y/o depending on level of maturity and literacy I'd recommend it. The story is set in a secure youth offenders unit in the US with sadistic jailors - covers issues of literacy/lack of education, justice and injustice, bullying, friendship, loyalty and abuse of power. All sounds a bit serious when put like that, but its very funny and moving and clearly a bit of a fantasy as well as including the above issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING !, 24 July 2007
A. Rose (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
This isn't my usual sort of book at all but I was far from disappointed. This is an extraordinary story from start to finish with not a boring page or even sentence to struggle through. Without being repetitive (Amazon reviews and the Synopsis tell it all) this is a teenager/adult book starting with a curse on a family which reaches its climax over a hundred years later with the two "stars" of the story, Stanley and Zero. After saying this is a teenagers book, I have passed it to my husband, mum and other friends, all of who agree that it is a captivating story for adults as well as teens. I'm sure most readers (of any style of book) can't help but love this one for the very clever story that it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holes, 15 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Holes (Cascades) (Hardcover)
I think Holes is a brilliant book. We did it for a reading book in school- I didn't think it would be very good but once I started it I couldn't put it down the flashbacks are brilliant. I love the way it kept reflecting back to the past and the main story line was brillian too.
I love the way the story has lots of different characters and I especially liked Zero. It's a brilliant book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and intriguing; a perfect story., 5 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
I read this book on the recommendation of my 13 year old daughter and was enthralled by it, as was my husband who read it after me. Stanley is an instantly sympathetic character, and the reader is pulled into his unfortunate situation from the outset. The plot is intriguing and unfolds carefully, whilst the threads of the past are casually thrown in and then unexpectedly drawn together at the end. I found this a delightful tale, told with humour and pathos, suitable for all ages and not just children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holes By louis Sachar, 2 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
When I first saw the front cover I didn't really know what it was about!! But I did think it might be about lizards and holes. Something not very good but it was totaly the opposite.
The book was mainly about a boy called Stanley Yelnats who had been sentenced to 1 ½ years of jail or camp. Stanley chooses camp not knowing it was going to be as bad as it was. When he got there he found out that for the next 1 ½ years he would be digging HOLES! During the story there are a few sidetracks but they relate to each other later on in the story, which gives it a really good twist. While at camp Stanley meets a boy called Hector Zeroni (Zero) they get up to lots of mischief. Mr Sir (one of the men in charge) didn't like the trouble they caused and made sure they knew that.
The part I liked the best was when Stanley found Zero. I bet your thinking what the earth is she talking about, so I'll tell you.... When zero hit Mr Pendanski he ran away and as Stanley was such good friends with Zero he was thinking should I go after him or not? In the end he did go but when he went he made sure everyone knew about it. After a long time of walking or so it seemed to Stanley he saw a object In the distance when he got there it turned out to be a boat and under the boat was Zero a bit ugly and dehydrated but he was so glad to of found his friend alive.
The part I least liked was......... there wasn't one the whole of the book is so good but there is one thing that I would change and that would be what happened on the last two pages as it was boring and needed to be told in a different way!!
The main characters were Stanley and Zero. Stanley was a fat boy who was bullied at school but when he was sentence to digging holes he became skinny, confident and wasn't scared of any one. He always had bad luck and there was a curse on his family. Zero on the other hand was skinny and confident before he came. He had no parents and couldn't read or write which got him into lots of trouble!!!
The Character I least liked was x-Ray because he thought he was IT, the best, the biggest, the most powerful and most of all the one everyone followed. From the day Stanley met him he didn't like him and nor did I. If Stanley found a bit of treasure x-Ray wanted it if Stanley was having his whole dug x-Ray wanted it, if Stanley had all the attention x-Ray wanted it, the list could go on. X-Ray was a bully, which meant he was weak and had no nerve.
I would recommend this book to all adults and children over 8 as under eights wouldn't understand the twist it has. But there is always the film, which is out in the cinema. I hope you enjoyed my review and take my advice to read it for your self as you would be crazy not to!!!
By Jodie

5.0 out of 5 stars Holes- a reveiw, 6 Dec. 2006
book worm "Deborah" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
Holes

Louis Sachar

When Stanley Yelnats is accused of stealing a pair of trainers from a famous Basketball player and asked to chose between the punishment of going to jail or going to camp green lake he responds by saying "I've never been to camp before." When he arrived at camp green lake he meet Armpit, Z-ray, zero and the rest of the gang. Camp green lake is positioned in what used to be a lovely thriving town that had a lake and everything else a town could want. Now it is a desert where it never rains, the lake is all dried up and boys who have broken the law are sent to dig holes all day to build character, or so the warden says. One day Zero runs away and later Stanley goes after him. They get stranded without food or water and are both convinced it's the end of them both, but then something miraculas happens...

Louis Sachar does a great job introducing his characters and building on their personalities and relationships throughout the book. Also he leaves you with more and more questions every page of the book. This story is well thought out and a great read for anyone. I would highly recomend it to everyone.

Read the book to find out the answers to these questions

Is there really a curse on the Yelnat family?

Is it really to build character that the boys are foced to dig holes every day?

What is on top of god's thumb if anything?

Will Stanley and Zero make it through the desert and survive with the deadly yellow spotted lizards?

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and intelligent, 2 May 2007
Helen Simpson (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
I wanted to read this book since my daughters' read it for English Literature at school when they were twelve, I didn't get chance until now but it was as good as I hoped.

The short and to the point sentences lure you in and you won't want to put it down (but with 240 pages hopefully you won't have to.)

The boys at Camp Green Lake (where the lake long ago dried up) have to dig every day. We learn mostly about Stanley and how he came to be there and about how he and his family have always blamed their bad luck on his no 'good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather'. Stanley soon learns how in a place like Camp Green Lake you have to work out how to fit in.

Amusing, poignant and cleverly written.

If anything is likely to make you believe in fate it will be this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Holes (Great book), 26 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Holes: Unabridged (Audio Cassette)
I have read holes many times and have also seen the film i love the book and would reccomend it to anyone.
Louis Sachar has done a great job on this book and many others i have read such as:
Dogs don't tell jokes,
The boy who lost his face and
there's a boy in the girls bathroom.
I would like to see Louis Sachar and more books in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book!, 6 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
`Holes' is a great book that can be enjoyed by readers of all ages and genres. It is short, snappy, lures you in after the first few sentences and is a master of making you want to read "just a little bit more!"

The main character is a guy called Stanley Yelnats (his last name being his first name backwards) who always seems to have bad luck on his side; supposedly because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather.

He is accused of committing a crime he did not commit, and because of this is sent away to a juvenile correctional facility for boys: Camp Green Lake.

Here, along with the other inmates, Stanley is forced to dig holes out in the sweltering desert wasteland of Texas.

Digging holes each day is supposed to help build character and make Stanley a better person- or is it?

There are several subplots interwoven with this main story line, and at the end, Louis Sachar subtly ties them all together, and you realise that everything was linked.

I especially like the way that the author has carefully put in different layers of meaning, and you have to dig really deep if you want to find the bottom...!

`Holes' is an excellent book and I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it as much as I did!!

Holes
Holes by Louis Sachar (Audio CD - 2 Jan. 2006)