5.0 out of 5 stars One For The Road
The Humorous Travel Book, a genre fathered by Bill Bryson et al, has grown into something of a monster. Straightforward travel books, it appears, no longer sell like they used to; a dash of humour or a funny twist - pulling a dishwasher around the Hebrides, say - will open up whole new galaxies of readers.

And so I approached The Longest Crawl with trepidation...
Published on 11 Nov 2006 by Graeme Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read, but there's better!
I couldn't wait to get stuck into this book, as I love reading books about beer and pubs, as its an industry I've grown up in and as such have a real interest in.
Marchants tale is an enjoyable read at first, and the first few pages flew by as I was drawn into his adventure. However, it would seem that Marchant has a deep dislike for the North and the working class,...
Published on 9 Jan 2008 by Carl Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
A wonderful read - thoroughly recommended! A lovely mix of banter, history, reflection and written by an author clearly enjoys his ale as much as his syntax. Bravo!

If you liked Crawl, 'Something of the Night', his tour of Britain in the night-time, is a brill read, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hunter S Thompson in wrinkled stockings, 3 Jan 2013
chepalle (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
Entertaining, honest and high-spirited romp through the Isles and its boozers. Whilst reading it I imagined Hunter S. Thompson as a character in Last of the Summer Wine. This is probably the most accurate approximation of the book's vibe.
I took a star off for him giving vegetarianism a kicking and sometimes coming across as a bit of a Jeremy Clarkson figure - he's generally a much better writer than that. I'm looking forward to reading more of his books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chin chin Mr Marchant!, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
Ian Marchant decided to set off with his mate Perry Venus and document his month-long British pub crawl from the two fartherest apart pubs he could find. Witty, informative and thirst-inducing, this is the authors journey both personal and researched, reflecting an integral part of British Life - the Pub. When I came to England, I was amazed by the role the pub plays in British life, straight out from work, you gather in the pub to moan, cry and laugh at life. A man's local is his paradise.

What I enjoyed: This is a long, slow burning read, perfect for rainy Sunday afternoons (accompanied by a beverage if desired - highly recommended). I loved the sheer enjoyment and whimsy of the author as he meets up with his many friends along the way, but also explores the fantastic history and processes of various pubs, monasteries, breweries and stills around the British countryside. I ran a pub for the first year I was here in England, and witnessed first hand the close relationship that can develop in a friendly local - I met my husband working behind the bar, and one of my (other) favourite regulars even brought in his fiancee to meet me!

The only trouble is: I've now bookedmarked about a dozen places to check out for ourselves. Road trip here we come! It's also not a great commuting read (in printed format) as it's a little large, so this baby lived mostly at home. I've not yet succumbed to an e-reader as I'm a little dubious.

Definately a must-read, great as a travel read, a rainy day read and a slow-burner read, you feel like you are accompanying the author. Marchant is beautifully, chummily written author, and I am going to be on the look out for further works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost flawless, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
If you want to understand the British then you have to understand the British relationship with alcohol, from beer tp binge drinking to boozers to bosomy barmaids. Marchant describes it all with vast flair and tons of wit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable read, 11 Nov 2011
M. A. Cox (Warwickshire. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
I was enjoying this book so much I took it on holiday with me. A good mixture of humour and interesting facts. Easy to read in sections.
Makes you want to go on your own pub crawl or a least visit some of the interesting places.
Shall be looking out for other books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 May 2008
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this (and I don't drink beer and rarely visit pubs these days). It is well written, it flows well and is an easy read. It was my late night, mind relaxing read for sometime. I learnt something new with every chapter. The history, philosophy and practical information about alcohol in general are in easy "Pub Prose" that make it detailed enough to be interesting but still light enough to be entertaining. I particularly ejoyed the still making section! Be aware the language and approach of the book are exactly as you would expect if you were stood at a Pub Bar and if you are easy offended by expletives then you will struggle with this book. But I thought it was a great entertaining read. And despite being left with a strange craving for pork scratchings since reading it, it comes well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
A great read. Mr Marchant obviously knows one or two useless facts which he doesn't mind sharing - and I didn't mind receiving. I found myself rushing off to take a look at a road atlas to see exactly where he was at times, and it has given me a bit of wanderlust.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enormously good fun, 14 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
This is a cracking read: funny, touching and exuberantly informative. The only flaw is the end - which is slightly lame and incoherent, but then, all good sessions conclude with a hangover, so maybe that's fitting.

One of my favourite books of last year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musings of an Out of Left Field Sort of Bloke, 23 April 2014
Amazon Customer (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
Usually I avoid the "Round Uzbekistan on a Spacehopper" type books like the plague. The joke was funny the first time but please, no more. However I loved Merchant's previous railway book "Parallel Lines", and so this, a Boswellian mix of travelogue, philosophy, erudition and obscure facts, was a must have, and just as rewarding as the first. You can read it straight through, pick up chapters or even use it as a very, very "Rough Guide" to the UKs pubs - some to visit, many to avoid like the plague. My favourite section, on my home patch of the East Midlands, captures the lure of Burton-on-Trent even in its industrialised, homogenised current guise, argues conclusively for mass immigration on the grounds that it makes the UK population much more attractive, captures the allure of the disappearing foxhunting tradition, and for a southerner has an intuitive feel for the attractions of a day trip to Skegness - all whilst giving a running commentary on the disappearance of industrial quantities of pork scratchings, as the expedition weaves its way across the country.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's your round, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The Longest Crawl (Paperback)
I was having a disappointing pub night in Dublin (no food after 8 and only fizzy lager and guinness on offer) when I found this book. It took me a couple of weeks to get through because I had to put it down to go to the pub sometimes. It is genuinely funny in parts but also poignant and full of insights about life, the decline of the hippy dream. It is about the past 40 years of British social history. I hope Ian gets himself fit enough to do another crawl and write another book as good. I have drunk in at least 10 of the pubs he mentioned so maybe I'll bump into him on his next crawl. This book affected me so much I had to write my first ever review.

The Longest Crawl
The Longest Crawl by Ian Marchant (Paperback - 2 July 2007)