5.0 out of 5 stars success guaranteed
Published on 15 April 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect!
It may seem a little harsh to base my review on a single recipe, but the authors claim that all recipes are tried and tested, and they obviously aren't. I used the recipe for Anzac biscuits three times with disappointing results. So, I checked with Margaret Fulton, and other Australian sources. All the Aussies mixed the dry ingredients separately and then combined them...
Published on 12 May 2010 by Thomas Holt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars success guaranteed, 15 April 2008
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
I have tried various baking books and I must say that this one has been the most successful so far with the fewest baking failures ever. In fact, every single cake I have made from this book has risen, baked to a golden yellow, or done exactly what the recipe says it should have. Containing hundreds of recipes for cakes, biscuits, cookies, muffins and breads, you will find in here an amazing collection of bakes for a special dinner party or simple (but delicious) scones for the kids' dessert. A wonderful home-baking book, this includes all the classics such as Victoria sponge and Madeira cake, as well as classics with a twist, for an example a carrot cake with a pecan-apricot crust - the best carrot cake I have ever eaten. There are plenty of traditionally British puddings and desserts, as well as continental favourites including a delectable and beautiful looking Black Forest cake. Even if you're new to baking, with Leith's Baking Bible you can be sure that this will soon turn into a new hobby and even your earliest attempts will be successful thanks to the clear and concise instructions.

The book contains recipes for citrus cakes, chocolate cakes, nut cakes, tea breads, roulades, and a section on festive baking with a wonderful Christmas cake recipe. There are biscuits for when you have just a few ingredients in your store cupboard as well as some cakes with unusual ingredients - courgette, polenta, potato, or even beetroot.

A few weeks ago I discovered a whole package of easy blend dried yeast in my cupboard which was close to the Use By date. I didn't feel like throwing it away so I decided to make a ciabatta loaf instead, and it was the Leith's Baking Bible which I used for my very first experiment of baking my own bread, which turned out delicious - so good in fact that I have made a number of breads since then. Most of the recipes actually use fresh yeast but the introduction to the Breads section explains really clearly how to used the dried variety.

Whatever your mood or the occasion you will have plenty of recipes to choose from. If I had to pick just one baking book to use forever it would be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and comprehensive, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
Hard to write a short but detailed review about such a big book, so I apologise in advance for the length of this one, but I hope the detail is helpful!

I spent hours agonising over the best book for me. I am a keen and competent home baker, with a particular interest in breads and patisserie, and finally came to the conclusion that this book would be the most interesting and useful. I am very glad that I did.

It is not choc-a-bloc with pictures, although there are some lovely glossy pages at intervals in the book. So from that point of view it's not 'inspiring' (when looking through a recipe book, it is usually the pictures that inspire me). But if you are able to visualise what it is you wish to bake, have a good enough knowledge of baking to understand what certain ingredients and their quantities will result in, or are just happy to pick a recipe and see what you end up with, then you shouldn't mind not having an image for every recipe. Furthermore, what is lacking in the illustration department is more than made up for in the text one: there are HUNDREDS of recipes, each in clear-cut sections which begin with comprehensive explanations about what you may come up against.

Part 1
The book begins with a number of pages about various ingredients and their properties, as well as necessary equipment for baking. So a section about chocolate for example gives an list of differents types (plain, semi-sweet, couverture, milk etc), before talking about melting chocolate, and specific points to remember; adding liquid to chocolate; tempering chocolate and storing chocolate. This in-depth approach continues alphabetically right up to yoghurt, encompassing dried fruits, flour, sugar and so on.

Part 2
This part contains the recipes. The sections are:
pastry (with sub headings for savoury tarts and flans, savoury pies, savoury pastries and en-croute dishes, sweet tarts and crumbles and cobblers);
patisserie;
meringues;
cheesecakes;
biscuits and cookies (as well as extra sections for festive biscuits, biscotti, savoury biscuits);
savoury quick bread and scones;
sweet scones;
muffins;
cakes (and then sub headings classic, chocolate, citrus, ginger etc.);
tray bakes;
brownies and blondies;
icings and fillings;
glazes and sauces;
bread (plus sub-headings like basic breads, olive oil breads, flat breads artisan breads which include starters for sourdoughs etc);
small sections on baking with breadmakers, gluten free baking and high altitude baking.

Each section begins with a detailed introduction with the history of the product(s) and contains pointers as to what you need to remember when making it, why something might have gone wrong and how to correct that etc. The recipes are set out in a clear format, some with little descriptions before them and diagrams of step-by-step processes.

Part 3
Terminology, glossary of british and american terms, conversion tables and a few suppliers of foods and equipment.

The recipes are in both metric and imperial, but there are no cup conversions in the back or with the recipes. The range of recipes is enormous, with french, english, american and other traditional recipes, plus some twists.

This book covers all the basics as well as venturing out to much more complex and technically challenging recipes and methods, so is suitable for all abilities. It really is a wonderful book from both an aesthetic and practical point of view. I might buy one with lots of pictures though, just to drool over!

Note on 9/10/2011: Book still proving a great success, although I admit that not all the recipes are perfect. However, for the most part it's a joy to use and my copy is well worn now. Glad to see that Amazon now let you "Look Inside" the book, although it renders somewhat pointless my lengthy write up of the index etc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and not complicated, 11 Mar 2008
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
I really can't rave about this book enough. I bake - a LOT, and use this book at least once every week. I have yet to try a single recipe that isn't delicious. There are many sections on different typs of cakes, cookies, bread, pastry. There is always something to suit your mood or the ingredients you have at hand.

I HIGHLY recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible., 20 Mar 2010
Bob's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
Time and time again I come back to this genius of a book for all my baking needs - it simply is the finest of all the baking books available today.

Comprehensive, illustrated, explained, and tested throughout - I just love to sit down and read it randomly to find a new gem of a recipe which I know will work,and taste amazing.

I'm sitting here munching my fresh baked hot cross buns, which despite years of trying, were never a true success until I followed the recipe in this book. (The bread section is amazing, my favourite bit - every bread you can imagine set out logically and simply).

Lots of hints and tips throughout - including a 'what went wrong' section in each part (very useful for unexpected dissapointments), a stunningly thorough glossary, just so much help where and when you need it.

Recommended for novice and experienced bakers alike. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 31 Oct 2007
S. Burton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
Im a pastry chef and i found this book fantastic. The bread section is particulary good and explains the actual proccesses of how baking works (or doesn't!). An excellent purchase for the chef or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, but ..., 2 May 2011
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
I bought this because Leith's `Simple Cookery' is so wonderful, but I'm disappointed with this one. The back cover and fly-leaf say it's `the only baking book you'll ever need' but don't believe it.

Don't get me wrong - there is a very wide range of good recipes here - and if it hadn't promised to give me everything (and I wasn't comparing it with 'Simple Cookery') I probably wouldn't be disappointed.

GOOD
A big selection of British and American recipes, including whole chapters on different kinds of cakes (eg Chocolate, Cakes with Fresh Fruit, Fruit Cakes, Traybakes, muffins, brownies, etc).

Also includes some savoury pies and cobblers.

NOT GOOD
There are many recipes I'd like to try, but a high proportion of complicated ones which I know won't use. There are some simple recipes, but the book doesn't believe in shortcuts even when they exist. So you won't find easy Danish pastries (see Nigella) or quick flaky pastry (see Delia).

Annoyingly, although there are loads of interesting yeast recipes, they only give quantities for fresh yeast. If you can't get this, you're told to turn to another page for info on dried yeast, but this only gives the amount of dried yeast for an 8oz plain white loaf, for richer breads you're on your own.

Any selection of recipes is going to depend on your own taste. What you won't find here are things like South African buttermilk rusks (do an internet search)or Middle Eastern baking. There's a recipe for apple crumble but no variations, so when I wanted to make rhubarb crumble and couldn't remember if you had to cook the rhubarb first, I needed Delia.

Sorry to keep mentioning Leith's 'Simple Cookery', but it tells you how long each recipe is likely to take, both in preparation and in cooking time. Unfortunately this book from the same stable doesn't use the same format - so you can't tell at a glance which are the easy recipes, and which to leave until a very rainy day.

OVERALL
This isn't a book for beginners. Some experience/knowledge is taken for granted.

It's worth being aware that there are very few photos.

I've tried about 5 recipes so far, 3 were very good, one was ok and one didn't work at all, so I guess that's about average.

Overall I'd say that this was a good addition to a cookery book collection, but don't throw away your other baking books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great!, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
I can cook but I wasn't able to bake anything very well. This book is just jam-packed with great advice on how to make your baking a success. I like the way it explains the science behind baking - acid/alkali interactions, etc. This is a must for anyone learning to bake or for experienced bakers who want to improve their techniques and also find some great new recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amongst the greats, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
Found this at a bargain price on Amazon, great book, very comprehensive, I actually bought it for the bread recipes, but it is one of those great books which makes you want to cook once you start reading it and i have used several recipes. It also enhances existing techniques, offering practical guidance and advice on how things can go wrong and what to do. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baking heaven, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
I thoroughly recommend this book for any would be baking-enthusiast. It has a vast selection of recipes covering just about anything you could ever want to bake. I find it especially useful if I have a seasonal ingredient in mind and fancy trying something new. The recipes are all really clear and totally simple to follow and have the feeling of having been really well tested. My top tip is the millionaire's shortbread recipe; totally amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 May 2008
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
Got this book for Christmas 07 and am slowly but surely working my way through it.
Simple, easy to follow and well explained. My only slight fault would be I would like even just a little picture beside each recipe to see how it's supposed to turn out. Other than that, 10/10

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa481ce4)

Leiths Baking Bible
Leiths Baking Bible by Susan Spaull (Hardcover - 18 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: 12.00