5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter is Always Well Received
To be able to have all the Harry Potter books in one boxed set is a great advantage. For one thing they are all in the same format (publishers have this habit of "freshening" books up, i.e. changing the front cover and the type font etc. So to have all the books in the same format is a bonus and a wonderful gift for someone.

Some would argue that the Harry...
Published on 23 May 2007 by J. Chippindale

3.0 out of 5 stars You must be mad!
No matter how good the books, why on earth would anyone buy this box set of 6 when you can wait for the complete set of 7 books in a few months!

The only reason to buy this set is the fantastic price, just over £4 a book, but forget the fact they're in a boxed set!
Published on 4 Jun. 2007 by R. Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter is Always Well Received, 23 May 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Some would argue that the Harry Potter books are the best books ever written for older children. There are so many good ones that I reserve judgment on that, but they are certainly up there among the best and have caught the imagination of many children over the last decade.

It is a fact that many children these days have moved away from books as a means of pleasantly passing the time and gone on to computer games, which are good fun, but not when used to the exclusion of everything else. Harry Potter books are the exception to the rule, at least with the children that I know.

J. K. Rowlings books are a form of escapism in themselves, very much like some of the computer games, but they contain so much more as well, with the added benefit of honing not only the reading skills but also the vocabulary of our children. The stories are interesting enough to hold their attention, in fact there are no down sides. If it was a straight choice between a computer game or a good book I know which I would choose for my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful set..., 11 Sept. 2007
I live in the US, and debated whether or not to buy the Bloomsbury editions. I don't regret it at all. There is such a difference in the US versions vs. the UK version. Both good and bad. The covers to the early UK editions, are quite frankly UGLY though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 26 Nov. 2007
I had always been hesitiant to read these books due to the mass amounts of hype they attracted, but recently I succommed under pressure from friends.

Although this box set isnt complete (final book missing), it is so much cheaper to purchase this then by the final book seperately.

Its a really good set and great value for money-also I feel that the author developes the charachters greatly as the story proceeds and as it all developes the plot really does engolf you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Share the magic :), 2 May 2007
B. Alcat (Hanoi, Vietnam) - See all my reviews
This boxed set allows you to buy the first six paperbooks in the Harry Potter series at a very reasonable price. I think buying it is a good idea for:

a- those who want to give their kids/friends (or even themselves) a great gift at a very good price --> due to the fact that you will give 6 books at the price that some bookstores sell just 1.

b- those who are very lazy --> because it is almost certain that if you buy the first book for yourself or your children, you will end up at the same bookstore buying the other books in the series. Buying the first 6 books at the same time will save you time and money, and you will only have to return later to buy book number 7, to be released on July 2007.

c- those who want to read a book that their kids will love, but that they will like to, and turn the fact that they are reading the series into a family experience.

d- those who want to motivate their children to read --> because reading Harry Potter will make them understand that there are books can offer them some things that the television cannot. If your children just hate the idea of reading, show them one of the movies based on the series, and afterwards tell them that the books have a lot to do with them, but that they are way better.

e- those who are learning English, and want to practise it in a entertaining way. And what better way to improve your grammar that reading something that is actually fun?.

f- those who aren't from an English speaking country, already have the books but want to read them in the language Rowlings wrote them --> because the reading experience is totally different (and yes, I know because I read some of the books both in Spanish, Italian and English).

g- those who are curious about the series but haven't given it a try --> because this series really grows on you, and it gets better and better, specially after book number 3.

After telling you about all the reasons why buying this boxset is a good idea, I would like to talk a little more about point g- because that was my case some years ago, even though I wasn't lucky enough to get my hands on a boxed set. First, though, I would like to comment upon the fact that I know some people that haven't liked the first book, and that have given up after a few chapters. I don't know anybody that has given up after reading the first 3 books. Yes, the first 2 books are very simple and short, but they help to set up the parallel world J.K. Rowlings is writing about. The 3rd book already shows a great promise of how the series are going to be like.

In my case, I bought the first 4 books at the same time, a Saturday afternoon. I read the first 2 books ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets") rather quickly, and wondered why everybody including my sister loved them so much. They weren't long, and they were rather good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It is only while I was reading the 3rd book ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"), that very same night, that I understood what the hype was all about. Even though when I finished it it was high time to go to bed, I couldn't help but starting the 4th book ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"), even though I was tired, and it really was much bigger than the others. It also was much more entertaining, and noticeably more complicated. Understandably (for those who have read these books, at least), I started reading it and couldn't stop until Sunday's afternoon. I was tired, but very happy of having discovered the magic, something I wouldn't have done if I had stopped after reading the first two books...

From that point onwards, I have been a "pottermaniac". I've read all the books in the series, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Yes, I like other kinds of books too, and I'm an adult with a degree in Political Science, but that doesn't mean that I cannot find these books engaging. One of the wonderful things about the Harry Potter series is that very different people can like it, for very diverse reasons. Despite that, all readers share something special, the ability to share the magic. Be one of us, and have fun :)

Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Reading Material, 8 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Harry Potter Box Set (contains Books 1-6) (Paperback)
JK Rowling is a genius. All six of these books are among the best works of fiction that I have ever read. I am currently reading "philosophers stone" for the umpteenth time. I simply cannot get enough of Harry Potter. Am looking forward to "Deathly Hallows". Cant wait to see what happens next. I buy the adult cover versions as they are much more subtle than the bright colours of the childrens. The covers also give representation to what the story is about. If anyone was new to Harry, I would definately say BUY ALL THE BOOKS. Once I start reading the series again, I have to continue right to the end of "Half Blood Prince". Each year of Harry Potter's life sees him facing new challenges and you are able to watch him grow as a person. I much prefer concurrent books as it makes for a much easier progression from one book to the next. Also, Harry is faced with typical teenage anxietys which allows you to relate to the character.

Hurry up JK Rowling. Bring on "Deathly Hallows" and put an end to the speculation and suspense.

3.0 out of 5 stars You must be mad!, 4 Jun. 2007
R. Clark "richyrich" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap harry potter books, 9 May 2009
Choppsy (South Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
I bought these for my 10 year old niece and I bought her the 7th one from Waterstones as it was not available on Amazon at the time I bought these books last year and had to wait a few months before it became available. What more can you want, books at a reasonable price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it yet, 25 April 2007
I have put this as 3 stars - because as this is I dont think this product is worth buying. However... Harry Potter is fantastic...

I dont think it is worth buying yet, simply because it is the incomplete set. Any reader of Harry Potter, would know, (even if they hadnt been out in the last few months!) that JK is soon going to be releasing the next and possibly final book to complete this set.

So my advice... just wait! There will be proper complete box sets to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than meets the eye..., 17 July 2007
This review is from: Harry Potter Box Set (contains Books 1-6) (Paperback)
...at least this is true for the small pictures on amazon.

Well, I don't agree in total with my fellow writer. There is nothing to be ashamed of for reading tales of Peter Rabbit in public at the age of e.g. 40 as for putting the child version of Harry Potter on the desk or shelf.
But I have to admit that I prefer the boxed set for it keeps all volumes together, nice and tidy, waiting for the complete boxed set with all 7 volumes to come out though.
Although I'm German, I prefer English originals. Jokes and play on words appear more originally as they were invented, rather than translated and altered to match.

The German adult edition varies from the standard children edition due to some extras. The text content is completely the same but cover design an layout alter:
The adult edition has an embossed binding, a cover with photo print and a ribbon page marker.

I expect the English version to be the same. As fare as I can see, it carries a high quality drawing instead of a photography on the cover.
And the paper quality might be a little lower, than on German books usual, as sometimes, but that's to that point unconfirmed and purely speculative.

I can't wait to get the English Harry Potter adult edition 7 volumes boxed set and reading that jolly good story to give one's fancy full scope whilst enjoying a good pipe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 5 April 2007
This review is from: Harry Potter Box Set (contains Books 1-6) (Paperback)
I've been waiting for all Harry Potter books to come out and in July the last book will be published. I've bought this Box set because I couldn't wait any longer and my expectations were not desappointed. I've already pre-ordered the last book to complet the set. If you like Harry Potter and you want to have the adult edition this is a MUST buy.

Harry Potter Box Set (contains Books 1-6)
Harry Potter Box Set (contains Books 1-6) by J. K. Rowling (Paperback - 3 Oct. 2005)
Used & New from: £109.67