5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty Bits? I Didn't Find Any!
I moved house recently and whilst unpacking a box of books I came across this paperback, which I'd purchased some time ago and then packed away so I could move. I was both annoyed I'd forgotten about it and pleased I'd found it in equal measure. I've yet to read anything by Bourdain I didn't enjoy. 'The Nasty Bits' turned out to be no different...

Made up of...
Published on 5 Oct. 2011 by Smudge

3.0 out of 5 stars whole lotta recycling going on
Published on 25 Mar. 2012 by Ms. Fiona Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty Bits? I Didn't Find Any!, 5 Oct. 2011
Smudge (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nasty Bits: Collected Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps and Bones (Paperback)

Made up of pieces of journalism and a fictional modern take on a Christmas 'miracle', this collection shows off Bourdain's talents as a food and travel writer to the full. It's no 'Kitchen 'Confidential' but where does it say it's meant to be? Don't buy it if you want another slice of Bourdain's life in chronological order - you'll be disappointed. For goodness sake do buy it if you enjoy reading impassioned, informed writing about food and those people who routinely serve it up to us. That's what it's going to give you, not an update to 'KC'.

I got to what I thought was the end of the book only to find an interesting extra section lurking at the back: Bourdain's reflections upon most of the articles in the book, given the benefit of hindsight. He's disarmingly honest when looking back. A nice insight into his reflections I thought, and not something you see often in a book of this kind.

All in all, a superb read if you've got any interest in food, travel, the food industry or Bourdain himself. Not much less of a superb read even if you haven't, to be honest. As Bourdain himself might say, "Just freakin' buy it!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Some prime cuts, some mechanically-recovered meat, 14 July 2011
Caterkiller (Darlington, UK) - See all my reviews
If you are in any way interested in food you cannot go wrong with this collection of articles. The book starts by explaining "Systieme D",the methods by which restaurant kitchens avoid the disaster of "losing it" via methods best kept from the diners, and later critiques the phenomenon of celebrity chefs, few of which have ever been inside one of their own restaurant kitchens for quite a few years. The best chapters are "The Cook's Companions" in which Bourdain lays out how NOT to run a restaurant and "Is Celebrity Killing the Great Chefs?" in which he explains how it is possible to go from being the Justin Timberlake of world cooking to the Chesney Hawkes. The book is peppered throughout with mini-travelogues on China, Vietnam and Singapore (no prizes for guessing which part of the world's cooking Bourdain likes best) and at the end he retrospectively reviews his own writing including berating himself for writing a piece bemoaning how it is no longer possible to buy crack while simultaneously watching a live sex show in cleaned-up, post-Giuliani New York.
If you liked Kitchen Confidential this is more of the same from the now-a-celebrity Chef Bourdain.

3.0 out of 5 stars whole lotta recycling going on, 25 Mar. 2012
Ms. Fiona Allen "catlover" (edinburgh, uk) - See all my reviews
You'd think it was easy to avoid using the expression "over-testosteroned" too often. Not if you're Anthony Bourdain, apparently. I wonder what that says about his thought processes? Anyway, there are some gems in this essay collection, together with some ho-hum stories. He still writes far better than anyone with a substantial career as a chef has any right to, and I'd love a donation of (at least some of) his Air Miles, but if you've read either of the Confidential books, there's nothing that new or surprising here. And I confess to being a little worried about his professed enthusiasm for live sex shows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Tasty Bits Amongst the Scrap, 13 Mar. 2008
J. Grundy "Jim Grundy" (Hucknall, Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Whilst I agree with the previous reviewer that this isn't the author's best work, I still found it an interesting collection of his journalism. You do get the impression that the idea for the compilation was the publisher's and not the author's, capitalising upon his earlier successes, but I think there is more than enough here to warrant any fan of Anthony Bourdain's writing taking a look.

I enjoyed it and, as ever, Anthony Bourdain's writing gives you the real deal about the lives of chefs, not the faux celeb-orientated world that so many live in (or have us believe).

4.0 out of 5 stars Punchy, witty. Forthright, 6 Oct. 2014
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Bourdain's style is one I identify with as his dark humour shines through everywhere. This is a man who clearly worships at the alter of food and his descriptions of various culinary experiences are mouth watering to read!

I liked this format of a collection of articles/short stories from around the culinary world, the fact that he's never afraid to stick his neck out and above all else his brutal honesty! Better still he's also prepared to look back and admit when he felt he'd been in the wrong.

Most entertaining

5.0 out of 5 stars great author, 2 Jan. 2014
Fantastic book, but I love bourdains stuff anyway a very funny and inciteful book and is a must if you have read kitchen confidential

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 22 Oct. 2013
i bought it for my husband so cant say much apart from my husband loved it and would recommend to all

2.0 out of 5 stars how disapointing, 31 July 2007
Alexander Van Schoor "Alex" (France) - See all my reviews
I have read all the cooking related books from Anthony Bourdin and verymuch like his direct style. The'Les Halles'cookbook is also very good although he never wanted to write a recipe book (try the peppersteak!)
I had expected "the Nasty Bits" to be at a similar level of entertainment together with some educational kitchen and food bits. But I found it not at all impressive.It is a collection of unconnected newspaper and magazine articles and I did read the background stories on the various chapters which is give on the last few pages of the book but it still did nothing for me. On the contrary, if this would have been the first book I read of Anthony Bourdain it would have been the last one. It's rambling, uninteresting, full of name-dropping (very disappointing that) and I struggled to finish it.
Mr Bourdain, please never write a book like that again!

Alex
France

The Nasty Bits: Collected Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps and Bones
The Nasty Bits: Collected Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps and Bones by Anthony Bourdain (Paperback - 1 May 2006)