5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless gem on life, love, transition and belonging, 7 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This book was given to me almost twenty years ago, and truly stands the test of time. It is an unusual work, which cannot be categorised easily, as it comprises essays, poetry, reviews and philosophy in one small and perfect volume which has no equal that I know of. There is a raw and very moving account of first love in the description of a parcel being sent, which combines the purity of feeling with the immediate sense of recognition that the moment is transient, but in such a way that it does not diminish the emotion experienced. The elusiveness of being, and attempts to momentarily capture, describe, record or explain it is a recurring thread within this book, and is reflected on in a variety of ways; personal experience, historical polemic, art, poems and stories. The language and semantics are breathtakingly apt and timeless. I am not someone who enthuses about "lifechanging" experiences of any kind, but this book made a profound influence on me 19 years ago, and continues to do so whenever I revisit the texts. The second part, which touches on migration, home, and belonging is as relevant in today's world as it was when written. I believe it strikes a chord because the author manages to convince the reader that the passion which informed the writing was true, and based on a strong sense of genuine care and feeling. I felt privileged to have been given this book, and have continued to buy it for people who have touched my life. Some have understood. And, if nothing else: is this not the most wonderful title ever?

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves another look, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos (Paperback)
I thought it was a very sensitive, poetic book. Berger obviously knows a lot of things and has thought deeply on many subjects, and he can write well enough to convey his passions and tp be intellectual without drifting into "academic speak".

Part love story, part essay, part art lecture, part poetry, it seems to fit in with the work of Milan Kundera (to which i've only read Ignorance) and the films of Dusan Makavejek... in style only though, because Berger's book belongs strictly to himself. Its like someone has stolen a random slice of his mind and spread it over 100 pages. Its just lovely and random and touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agreed, it is a truly excellent read, 9 April 2007
This review is from: And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos (Paperback)
Like the other two reviewers I agree this is an excellent read that many will probably pass by, but that would be a huge mistake. A reflection on time and space in relation to love pulled together by poetry, philosophy...it's so hard to describe you need to read it! Possibly one of the most beautiful interpretations of love ever, in the chapter with the description of the lilac in the sunlight. It made my heart go a little bit funny and I'm absolutely not a sentimental person. I'm off to peruse his other writings on amazon now - you should be heading to the checkout with this book. An ideal present for avid readers too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry indeed, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos (Paperback)
I'm no Marxist, as I am no Christian, but whenever I find Love (with a capital L) for the Human (the human being, the human condition), no matter what the ideology or the religion of the person showing this Love is, I hold my breath and listen closely. I have found that this Love is always expressed as poetry, and this book is poetry indeed, sincere, profound, down-to-earth and up-in-heavens.

4.0 out of 5 stars inspiring and touching, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos (Paperback)
A personal and poignant meditation on life, on existence in the contemporary world, on the power of love. Uplifting and hearth warming in all the right ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, beautiful writing, 13 Jan 2013
Mr K Pincis (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos (Paperback)
Great book, recommended to me as a fan of Perec. Beautiful meditations on time and space, composed of beautiful short prose pieces. A good one to carry upon one's person and dip into...

5.0 out of 5 stars just amazing., 26 Mar 2013
"When I open my wallet
to show my papers
pay money
or check the time
of a train
I look at your face

The flower`s pollen
is older than the mountains
Aravis is young
as mountains go

The flower`s ovules
will be seeding still
when Aravis then aged
is no more than a hill.

The flower in the heart`s
wallet, the force
of what lives us
outliving the mountain

And our faces, my heart, brief as photos."

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
Well worth reading

And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos
And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos by John Berger (Paperback - 18 April 2005)