5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read by Mary Hooper
Published on 21 Oct 2006 by curlytot

2.0 out of 5 stars Deeply disappointing
Having read the Sugared Plum books and Megan 1 and 2 I have a lot of respect for Mary Hooper as an author, but the plot line in Eliza Rose was the stuff of trashy novels. Yes it did have plenty of reference to real historical characters, and conveyed some of the sense of what it was like to live in those times - which is why I gave it two stars - but ultimately it was a...
Published on 30 Sep 2007 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read by Mary Hooper, 21 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
I disagree with the previous reviewers comments about the end of this book not being complete, I feel that it just left me wanting more - which is what a good book is all about isn't it? In my opinion this is Mary Hooper's best book to date. As the saying goes, "I couldn't put it down"! I found myself lost in the trials and tribulations of Eliza's life, and it always makes such a refreshing change to read something about the way life used to be, instead of the angst of the modern day teenager. More please, Mary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 28 Aug 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
London, 1670, Fifteen year old Eliza Rose is thrown into prison for stealing a pasty. She is rescued by a brash scrubby women known as Old Ma Gwyn, but her relief soon turns to horror when she discovers what her new benefactress has in mind for her. Eliza has come to the city to find her father and a place to call home but fate seems to be conspiring against her.

From Orange selller, to ladysmaid and highwaymans moll, she will take on many guises, btu will she find out what she yearns to know- where she truly belongs?

This was a very enjoyable book, with an excellent story line, I would have never guessed what would have happened if I didnt read ahead (bad habit of mine). Mary Hooper is an excelletn author. For once Iam going to talk about the cover: it so pretty! I think it us a bit vague 'coz the girl has brown hair instead of black

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 14 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
This book is just phenomonal. It portrayes a perfect picture of 17th Century London, with a gripping storyline, following 15 yr old Eliza Rose who is on a mission to find her real parents. Mary Hooper is definately my favourite author by far. She is a very diverse author. Other books of hers to check out are: Megan 1.2.3, Amy, Holly, At the sign of the sugar plum and petals in the ashes.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to be re-read!, 26 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
This fantastic book can be read over and over again! It is filled with romance, hard-ship of life in the reign of Charles II but also the up-sides with touches of humuor thrown in for good measure! Featuring the lovable character of Eliza Rose and her numerous jobs, 'a mermaid', a highway man's moll and an innocent orange seller. Even Nell Gwyn herself plays a vital role in Eliza's life and becomes her best friend and even Charles II makes his appearances! This book is charming with a heart warming ending! A thoroughly great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top five books!, 15 Aug 2008
H. Rabey - See all my reviews
I am 14 and I was advised to read this book and was a bit apprehensive as I had not read a historical book before, this book is a gripping read and I could not put it down, I found that the book is well written and the story line is very good, overall I would definatley read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for primary pupils, 20 April 2013
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
Ordered this hoping to use it in Guided Reading as we cover this period of history in Year 5 and thought this would help with empathy. Rather too many references to courtesans using words that would create uproar from parents and Governors so no good for that!! Great read for early secondary pupils though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eliza Rose Reviewed, 9 Oct 2012
The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza RoseFrom the Prologue to the end as usual books by Mary Hooper grip you from start to finish and you cannot wait to turn the page (even on a kindle). Well written, exciting and with some amazing twists and turns this book is one you cannot put down, unless you need to eat or drink.

5.0 out of 5 stars the remarkable life and times of Eliza Rose, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
My daughter brought home a book from school, which was Mary Hoopers Velvet. I picked it up and could not put it down, loved it so I brought this book and the same, brilliant i've also just finished reading News from the dead. Again could not put it down, my daughter is getting me another Mary Hooper book for mothers day carnt wait! Well done Mary Hooper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
I took this book out from the library and couldn't put it down; since then I've been trying to find it to buy.
It's very good, the plot not too obvious, and written a very good pace, with enough detail and descriptions to keep the reader suspended.
I enjoy the narrative, it is honest and researched, with a lovely background, covering a wide variety of areas of life at the time.
I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a historical fiction!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful fairy tale like story with a hint of romance, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose (Paperback)
Eliza's story is a fictionalised tale told through the third person, which allowed me to also get to know the other characters in the book besides herself. I found her plights and struggles in the unfamiliar and harsh world of Elizabethan London easy to relate to and credible. Her story was quite fast paced and full of twists and turns in Eliza's life that took me by surprise and through all of this, we get to meet a large cast of characters. Some of these characters were real such as Nell Gywn, the famous mistress of King Charles who is known for her charming wit and beauty. I found Nell particularly interesting because of the unstable life that she led and her carefree take on the world, I think she is a character than needs to be explored more in historical books. She also brought some light hearted humour to the book that was a great contrast against some of the darker themes running through the book.
Mary Hooper writes exceptionally well and through her vivid description of Elizabethan London, a sense of being back in that era was created and I love how the darker side of society was also shown so as to be realistic without being too explicit.
The only thing that I was let down by was the ending as although I didn't mind the fact that it was 'fairy tale' like and fairly predictable, I found that I was left wanting to find out how the other characters reacted to the ending so that it felt more complete. Having said that, it leaves brilliant scope for a sequel and I hope that Mary Hooper will eventually write one.

The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose definitely earns its title and transports you back to Elizabethan London through realistic depictions on a journey with a kind and beautiful protagonist who is trying to find her place in the world. This beautiful fairy- tale like story with a hint of sweet romance will definitely take you on an adventure!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose
The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose by Mary Hooper (Paperback - 4 Sep 2006)
6.25