5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter
I am not the kind of person who writes big long review on the sort of things that are boring. All you need to know is that this box-set comes with five books, beautifully bound with a sandpaper cover, each with a superimposition of J.K. Rowling's signiature. You save about 29 if you buy the box-set, rather than buying them seperately (RRP).
Published on 24 May 2004 by johngolden10

3.0 out of 5 stars The first four books are interesting.........
The first four books are very interesting and keep you at the edge of your seat;and then it gets darker and less harder to keep up with what is going on because soo many new characters are introduced.
Published on 15 Jan 2012 by Mystery Shopper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter, 24 May 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading "Harry Potter" in the Original English is Better, 7 Jun 2004
I am an American. I have already read all of the American version "Harry Potter" series of books, and have appreciated how the characters and the writing increased in complexity with each volume. (I am also beginning to wonder if the last few books are going to be able to be used as doorstops or lethal weapons if dropped on someone from on high....) I also knew that we Americans had been dealt an unfortunate hand when the publisher decided to name the first book, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" instead of "...the Philosopher's Stone." Oh! the frenzied arguments in churches we have endured!
I tend to read voraciously and without stop when the story and characters are well-written. I had noticed a lack of "Britishisms" but chalked it up to it being a children's book written for an international audience. However, when I read aloud to my husband on a road trip, the process is slower, and things come to my attention that usually escape my notice during my silent reading. I became very suspicious when some things began to sound "American." I finally hit the roof when I read about when the Captain of the Quidditch team, Wood, was showing Harry the sport's equipment. The book I was reading indicated that he picked up something that looked like "a baseball bat"! I learned that the American version had been wiped clean of "Britishisms" and the language had been changed to include "Americanisms."
I am 41-years-old and have a doctorate, but I know that most children here in the United States have managed to read C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia without needing it to be "translated" for them. I read it without difficulty as a child. We have many people who still read the KJV of the Bible, for goodness sake! And Shakespeare is studied and performed in the original. So, I was pleased to find out about amazon.co.uk and promptly ordered the entire Harry Potter set "in the original" English.
I now enjoy the series even more (and I have the beautiful phoenix cover on the last book instead of the mysterious blue cover). In addition, I no longer have the feeling that something is just not quite right with these children - that they don't seem to be British. After reading books that were never "translated" into "American," it just sounded too strange to read "Harry Potter" that way. I find that reading it the way it was originally written gives me a better sense of what is occurring. (Certainly, it may have created less of a crisis if the first book's title had been left alone!)
I can hardly wait until the next book is published, and you can be certain that I will be purchasing it "in the original" English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the American editions, 11 Oct 2005
G. Hall (Rhode Island) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
Well, I live in America, and I sort of took the US editions for granted. Then, a while back, I came across images of these books online. I thought "Wow, any serious Harry Potter fan has to get the British Adult Edition". So for my birthday, my mother bought me this boxed set. After over a month of international shipping issues, these beauties finally arrived on my front door step. I love them, they are much cooler than the American versions. They are also less cumbersome. It got to be very difficult to hold the American versions, especially when reading books 4, 5, and 6. My only complaint is that the set dosen't include the Half Blood Prince, but I'll be getting that soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 22 July 2006
Nikki (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I first started reading the Harry Potter books five years ago and even now am still able to sit down and start from the beginning. They are the most interesting and absorbing fiction I've read for some time and I would recommend them to anyone of any age. They have something to offer all age groups from the youngest children to the most mature adult; adults might even find more pleasure than a child in reading and understanding the factual references and symbology the books are filled with. Altogether a first class read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Piece of Magic in your hands, 9 Aug 2005
Hayley Kitchener (Topsham, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
After Hearing about harry potter from a friend at work, i decided to have a read myself, the first couple of pages or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5..... i just couldnt put it down, it has been a long time since i have picked up a book filled with the magic you believe and relish when you are a young child waiting for the tooth fairy, theres a child in all of us and harry potter is the key to the herminoe and ron withen. A must read!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry on Harry...., 13 April 2006
Mrs. Sm Best "Besty" (Hereford England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I had never read any of the books before. I am 25 and have watched all of the films, but then decided to start at book 1 and within 2 months i had read them all. The Order of the Pheonix and The Half Blood Prince took me 4 days each book! The one thing i have noticed with the most recent two, mentioned above; most of the action takes place over the last 150 to 200 pages, alot of the build up was slow, but i have to say well worth the endings. The plots are not just Harry Vs Voldemort but an insight into each character, there are alot of sub plots which you want to hear about as much as the main story. Ie, Ron and Hermione's attraction and Sirius Black. I am surpirsed and sad about certain events that take place in the Order of the Pheonix, but i could literally not put it down. It has to end though and Jk Rowling really has her work cut out to meet the plot expectations of her Harry Potter hungry public!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Deal, 2 Dec 2005
Connor D. Beaton "Connor" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
All the Harry Potter books are excellent, and packing them all into one bundle is just the natural thing to do.
Whether you're buying the set for the excitement of Hippogriff riding in Book Three, or the dramatic conclusion of Book Four, or maybe the infiltration of a protected place in Book Five, this set has it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Entertaining Book Series!, 12 July 2005
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
A very appealing series of Books for everyone. It is true that it is rather more exciting to children but I found that it is liked by most from the age of 5 to 65.
The story revolves around a boy who finds out that he is a wizard and is famous because his parents were killed by a certain dark wizard, Voldemort. On the course of the books, he fights his way through the troubles and challenges he gets at the Howarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
In this book, JK Rowling creates a whole new world. She has covered every detail so finely that you can find absolutely no flaw in the book or the plot itself.
Some of the latter books being as big as over 400 pages, it can be surprising to see that even kids as old as 5 can get through them easily without getting bored. JK Rowling has made every aspect of the book so interesting and with a twist that you can never get bored.
It is very hard to put the book down after you start reading. It is simply irresistable. It gets the readers to ask for more. As the sixth book now comes out, Billions of people await its release wanting more of the Harry Potter's wizarding world.
The only thing that could be classed as a 'con' for this book is that it is directed at children so some adults may not find the language to their satisfaction.
Over all this book exceeds everyone's satisfaction levels. A person has to be very unusual not to like Harry Potter. I recommend these books to everyone and before you know it, you'll find yourself getting pulled into the world of Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!! Brilliant!!!, 11 Aug 2005
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I am 27 years old and I have no shame to say that Harry Potter books are absolutely my favourite. I started naively with the first one, just pure curiosity and now I am obsessive about them. It only gets better and better every time you go to the next page. JK Rowling makes you so involved with the plot that even when you stop reading your mind can't possibly stop thinking about the characters, Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, Quidditch, etc. It makes my heart sink to think that there will be a last one, it is just not fair on Harry Potter fans but I guess it would loose the sparkle if it didn't have an end. I can only say don't be ashamed of reading it and if you have kids you should certainly buy the books for them to read, they will without a shadow of a doubt LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wizard Mania, 30 Nov 2004
Matthew (Flitwick, England) - See all my reviews
The most famous child book series finally gets released this package includes all of the HP books so far these in my opinion get the following scores (with 5 star being the best):
1. Harry Potter and the philosophers stone ****
2. Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets ****
3. Harry Potter and the prisoner of azkaban *****
4. Harry Potter and the goblet of fire *****
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ****
All of these books I have read and each one contains action packed adventures, all of which are of very enjoyable and fun to read. These books also contain some funny moments, that don't just appeal to children but the whole family, as they seem to get more and more difficult to read as the book series grew, e.g. quote from the first book Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: "As they entered November, the weather turned very cold." this second quote is from the latest Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix: "He was finding it almost impossible to fix a regular night of the week for DA meetings, as they had to accommodate three separate team's quidditch practises, which were often rearranged due to bad weather conditions."
Also the books get thicker with more pages as the books got published, as the first book had 223 pages whereas the latest book has 766 pages,which even for an adult is big, but for kids 766 pages is huge, but these books are still very enjoyable and a great Christmas present if you have any children, but buy them this at your own risk, you might find yourself reading chunks of these books to them every day, but don't worry you too will probably enjoy them yourself.
Overall, this is a great buy especially at this great price!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Harry Potter Boxed Set
Harry Potter Boxed Set by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2004)
Used & New from: 166.87