5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Getting emotionally smart
So far I'm quite satisfied with this book. The author touches very interesting points about understanding our reactions and emotions. I think our society could drastically change if we could realize many of the simple ideas he is explaining in this book. Very recommendable!!
Published on 13 Oct 2010 by Diego Nuñez Silva

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going
I know Daniel Goleman is the 'guru' when it comes to EI and if anyone is going to give you great information it's him.
This book is more like a text book - tiny print, tons of detail, not great for an easy read, more of an in depth study.
Published 29 days ago by Ms Jane Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Getting emotionally smart, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence & Working with Emotional Intelligence: "Emotional Intelligence", "Working with EQ" (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars You need this - whatever you do, 27 Oct 2009
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Prepare yourself not just for some soul-searching, but for some real Eureka moments.
Daneil Goleman's two EI books take you on a journey deep within, but also give you the tools to persuade, convince, and - yes - even manipulate those around you. It isn't NLP, it's what NLP was made from.

Thoroughly researched, basic things like "why do certain pieces of music bring memories flooding back" get covered in a way that asks you to choose "do I want to keep that or shall I get rid of it?". Much more importantly, it addresses the kinds of questions we adults should be asking:
* [Salesman, teacher, professor, marketer] if I want to persuade or convince, what signals am I looking for to continue down a track or change tactic? What methods usually work? What are the alternatives?
* [Parent, teacher] What will determine each child's success? How can I develop those skills? What do they mean for me in later life without having learnt them in childhood?
* [lawyer, solicitor, negotiator] what's top of the game? What am I missing that I need to learn/ develop? How can I go about it?

This isn't a book about good ideas. This stuff works. It has worked for centuries, it has been researched and tested for decades, and it will probably work for centuries to come. Get it, read it, weep over lost opportunities, then reach for the stars and win!

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding your emotions means understanding yourself, 1 Oct 2012
...It is an amazing book..I recommend it to all those who are trying to make sense of their life and of their relations with the people around them. Emotional intelligence is a concept I wish I had discovered it sooner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going, 26 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 31 Dec 2013
100% happy A GREAT READ FOR PEOPLE IN THIS PROFESSION OR WORKOMG TOWARD IT, I WOULD RECCOMMEND THIS BOOK TO OTHERS

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., 3 Jun 2011
J. Marshall "Tib" (UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't finished this book yet as it can be pretty heavy going but what I have read has been very informative and also quite enlightening.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read - but not all claims are justified, 1 Jan 2013
D. M. Prior "dan__p" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
A great read with loads of thought provoking examples. However his main claim that EQ is a better indicator of success than IQ, is not backed up by any leading academics on the subject (i.e. Salovey, Mayer, Caruso, etc...). So if you're using this to open your eyes to the topic of emotional intelligence - great! It is well written, engaging, very practical and helpful. However if you're using this book to guide policy in an organisation, it is well worth reading wider, to less popular authors who have more justified claims. One suggestion would be "The Emotionally Intelligent Manager" by Caruso and Salovey.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Self Help Book Of All Time, 19 Dec 2010
Absolutely no information about how to improve your emotional intelligence. An endless dialogue promoting an emotional intelligence course and stating really obvious reasons why we need it, for example, because of violent behaviour and conditions like eating disorders. A complete and utter waste of money and time. This depressing and boring diatribe may in fact lower your emotional intelligence, but will certainly line the pockets of Daniel Goleman. Don't waste your money on this no-help-whatsover book,

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Jun 2012
Excellent Book. Its a must read. This book is informative, very well written and factual. It definitely made me reconsider my approach to people and understand myself better.