5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing; the best Harry Potter book yet!
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said by someone here? It was absolutely amazing! I've loved the Harry Potter books since I read the first one last spring, but this is my favorite of them so far. The beauty of it, the layers of betrayal and friendship that are slowly peeled away chapter by chapter, are all simply breathtaking.
I started...
Published on 13 Oct 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Harry potter and the prisoner of Azkaban was a very good reed I thoroughly enjoyed it, I would get this amazing book.
Published 7 months ago by Pink balloon

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing; the best Harry Potter book yet!, 13 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I started Prisoner of Azkaban one night as I got into bed, planning to read only a few chapters and then sleep. 435 pages and many hours later, watching the sun start to come up, I finally put it down, having finished the entire book. In the process of those 435 pages, I laughed, I gasped in surprise, and believe it or not I cried. The emotions of the characters expressed in this book as, bit by bit, the story of what really happened that Halloween night that Voldemort killed Lily and James Potter, were absolutely perfect.
One of the finest books I've ever read!

5.0 out of 5 stars PoA, 11 May 2004
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Celebratory Edition (Paperback)
In my opinion, this is the best book in the Harry Potter series. The kids have all grown up a bit, and have a much clearer understanding of the wizarding world.
We are introduced to brilliant characters - Remus Lupin + Sirius Black, and we learn much more about the life and death of Harry's parents. Full of emotional twists, and humorous elements, this is definitely a must have novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best!!!, 26 Mar 2006
In my humble opinion POA is J.K's best so far. I think it's something to do with the characters, i love Sirius and lupin they make the book and the look into Harry's family history and his parents school life is as interesting and exciting as Harry's own.
Although not as long as the later books this is just as clever and sinister but maintains the magic and richness of the first two. What 4,5 and 6 miss in the way of Hogwarts tradition like the Halloween feast, quidditch or Christmas at Hogwarts book three keeps as well as giving us a more complex and shocking story paving the way for future plots and climaxing the expectations and rumors of the whole story line.
The whole books built on suspense and forces you to think and guess at it's conclusion and when you get to the conclusion it's more shocking and exciting than you ever imagined, and any minor part of the story that you did manage to guess leaves you feeling ridicously smug for the est of the day.
Every one should read Harry potter and even those who didn't get blown away by 1 and 2 will by the POA and will have no choice but to buy the entire box set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable books I've read in ages!, 27 Jan 2003
By A Customer
It took me a while to succumb to Harry Potter fever, but now infected, I never want to be cured! I've seen both the films and enjoyed them so much, I was inspired to start reading the books. I hope any child who picks one up realises that they are reading one of the best, most imaginative, most delightful series of books since C.S Lewis' 'The Chronicles of Narnia' and Enid Blyton's 'The Famous Five'. 'Prisoner of Azkaban' in particular I literally couldn't put down and there is as much, if not more in there to appeal to adults as well as to children. Although slightly darker in tone than the others in the series, it none the less remains wonderful escapism for all ages. A large plus point is that J.K. Rowling doesn't assume prior knowledge of the other preceeding books, and 'Prisoner' is perfectly capable of standing alone - characters, situations and locations are re-introduced and 'what's happened so far' summaries are comprehensive while remaining brief for those who have read the other books - although I feel that anyone who just reads the one is missing out on a treat!
I haven't enjoyed a book so much in ages, and I sincerely hope J.K Rowling never tires of Harry and his friends at Hogwarts!! I certainly shall never tire of reading about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "wizard" experience!, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" is the third in the Harry Potter series and is certainly as good as the others! Harry Potter is a wizard in his third year at Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry. Here start his adventures with his best friends, Ron and Hermione. J.K. Rowling sends the reader into a rollercoaster fantasy ride through the depths of magic and wizardry. All of which is exceedingly believable. Her imagination is amazing, as the wizarding jargon is so believable that I almost found myself referring to my family as 'muggles' and my pets as 'animagis!' A book for people of all ages (not just for kids) and is a must for all people who originally didn't care much for fantasy books. I didn't get caught up in the Star Wars hype, but I am certainly hooked on Harry Potter's adventures! It is definitely hard not to get swept up in Harry's escapades, so why not give it a read?!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty, brilliant, and fun for all ages masterpiece!!!, 29 July 1999
By A Customer
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" was excellent. The books say ages 8-12, but I, like so many others, am older and enjoying them. This series easily ranks with J.R.R. Tolkein, Roald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, Philip Pullman, and Lewis Carroll. The stories have great, twisting plot lines and this new one especially had a more mature thread to it. J.K. Rowling has a knack for bringing her characters to life-I often find myself wishing that I could jump into the book to slap Malfoy, Snape, or the Dursleys. The rivalries are great fun. I see trouble brewing between Cho Chang and Ginny Weasley. I wish that I weren't a Muggle and could experience Hogsmeade, Quidditch, Hogwarts, and Diagon Alley.
I hadn't heard of the series until June when my 11 year old brother got the first one. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did, but now I have read all three. I read "HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban from 2 AM to 2 AM the next day. Since I read them all in the span of a month, it is now a shock to have to wait a year for the next one. Thank you Ms. Rowling for giving me an excellent excuse not to read my summer reading books yet.
Mischief Managed

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, 2 Dec 2001
Mrs. J. Curry (Witney Nr Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
I thought Harry Potter couldnt get better after the Philosophers Stone but then I discovered The Chamber of Secrets and now, to surpass them all comes The Prisoner of Azkaban! Stephen Fry continues to amaze me with his ability to draw the "listener" into the story. I listen to Harry Potter every morning and evening on the way to and from work. Before discovering Harry, I used to get frustrated with the hours drive home in traffic queues but now look forward to having a long journey home, just so I can hear more of Harry. Im an addict - officially! Im 25 and my partner thinks Im crazy for being into this "kiddy" thing - well im here to tell you that imagination doesnt stop when you leave school and I find this the perfect antidote for a stressful life - I can escape it all and listen in bliss to the great Stephen Fry excelling himself and complementing the already brilliant Harry Potter!

5.0 out of 5 stars The fourth book effortlessly becomes my reason for living., 29 July 1999
By A Customer
If I wanted to compare any of the Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' books with anything, the Harry Potter series would be the undisputed comparison. With the 'good v. evil' element, Rowling manages to fulfill the reader's expectations, desires, and hopes at what will hapen later. The reader almost seems to control the story, as the bullies get thwarted, the teachers get one-in-the-eye, and the heros are dragged along, still coming out on top. Excellent. But Rowling doesn't stop there. She grabs the story at the end, and easily twists it, indicating she was in control the whole time. I'm trying not to ruin the story here, but I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and the second book, as well, so by the time I got to The Prisoner I thought i was ready for the now expected twist at the end. How wrong I was. And, once you know the ending, it makes a brilliant second-read, because you spot all the little clues that you didn't notice before. Enough said. The Prisoner of Azkaban has kept me up an entire night, while I yelled out loud, applauded, and laughed at the great main characters and Rowling's mastery of the plot. Some good jokes as well, even if a 14-year-old isn't strictly allowed to laugh at 'childish' jokes. (street cred', doncha know). Blow that; I love it. Without doubt, the best series on the planet, and i mean it. While the country, and indeed, it seems, the world, holds it's breath as Miss Rowling completes the next four books, I feel in no state to start handing out advice to her. But I think I speak for most when I say keep at it, and don't do anything dangerous. Please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more intense and sometimes dark than what’s come before, 8 Feb 2003
Rowling manages the rare trick in an author of making each of her books better than the last. Harry Potter’s history is slowly revealed throughout the books along with his day-to-day schooling at Hogwarts and the current danger imposed by Voldemort or one of his underlings. It is the sewing together of these three strands that makes Harry’s adventures so gripping and original along with the increased maturity each novel brings (the themes of love, death and evil are intensified in each new book). Whilst the Philosopher’s Stone was suitable for a wider audience each subsequent book grows alongside Harry meaning Prisoner Of Azkaban may not be suitable for children under 12 or as well appreciated.
With the inclusion of more wonderful characters to add to the storyline such as the sinister dementors, Lupin and Sirius Black POA excites with the unfamiliar but still retains those elements that make Harry Potter books what they are. Time travelling, flying griffins, a map that changes and a certain pet rat’s history adds to the Harry Potter series’ charm and for over three hundred pages Rowling transports you to a new world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 4 Sep 2009
A Kid's Review
In my opinion Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a very murderous and exiting book.
I recomend this book sutable for ages above 7 because , there is unsutable language in parts of the book.
This book is the best of the best Harry Potter collection you could probally get.
Danial Radcliff is the best actor in the world because he brings the charcater to life.

ARRAY(0xb1d0e240)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Celebratory Edition
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Celebratory Edition by J. K. Rowling (Paperback - 3 May 2004)
5.03